Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

FitzShane wrote: »
    Just thinking there, if the Toure/Borini/Assaidi & Moreno deals all go through at reported prices, we will have spent around £10m NET this summer. That is not including Agger either, so if he goes, we could actually end up being up money.

IMO, we have got a better squad but our first 11 is not stronger. No reason why we couldn't spend money a good, ready striker.

Rodgers has said that is the intention i.e. bring in a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

gafferino wrote: »

It's the intention alright but I hope we make a good push at it. We have the funds available to go the extra bit.

Although to be fair to Rodgers, I'm struggling to think of any striker that would be able to play with Sturridge, instead of him & also happy to be 2nd fiddle to him. All while being readily available to play now. And also available for a transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

gafferino wrote: »

Hopefully the injury to Drogba doesn't have a familiar outcome on the player we're pursuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gary Medel to Inter for £10m.

we maybe missed a trick there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

8-10 wrote: »
    2-1 win allegedly

I stress the 'allegedly' in this sentence, bizarrely nobody seems to know for sure on (ahem) Twitter. Rumours also of 1-0 to Burnley but that seemed to be the half time score. Also discrepancy between Coates or Peterson starting. Should be all clearer in next few hours.

I reckon game was purely for fitness reasons. Good seeing Can and Lambert get a run anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

That's a Good Deal.

We actually managed to get 2M, from someone we got for Free!

Ayre's definitely Improving. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'll always remember him for that pass back at West Brom!

For a season free deal he did all right.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

greendom wrote: »
    For those defensive stats, seems a bit odd that no other defender in that listing came from a top 4 club

Are you suggesting that Damien Delaney isn't one of the best defenders in the PL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

SlickRic wrote: »

I think for the same price we got ourselves a 20 year old prospect who IMO, seems alot more comfortable on the ball than Medel as well as being physical, defensive player. That said - it's still very much early days with Can & Medel is a decent player for that price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya I mentioned it a few times at the time of the world cup, Lucas out - Medel in and he can fill in at centre back. With the fee for Lucas and Medel's fee it wouldn't of cost much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

MR NINE wrote: »
    I always thought lovren was right footed. After watching that clip i was convinced he must be left footed, so i had a quick google and every source claims he is right footed. So I watched the clip again and Im still convinced he is left footed, everything he did was with his left and he looks extremely comfortable with it. If he is right footed its very impressive how good he is with his weaker foot.

He can use both, just suspect he prefers the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

daithijjj wrote: »
    He can use both, just suspect he prefers the left.

Great piece of goalkeeping on that toe-bogger!! :D

Disgusted with the commentator not going for the usual 'Keepers seen it late' line

5/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lovren is right footed as I seen him take a free kick vs Swansea last season with his right foot. He has some left foot too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lovren is right footed as I seen him take a free kick vs Swansea last season with his right foot. He has some left foot too though.

So you might say he is - 2 footed? Bonus. *

* I have decided to end more posts like the Opta Stats twitter account, with a single word. Succinct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lovren would be the centre of Skrtel & Sakho is we went with a back three.

Having him there to cover both of them looks very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Talisman

FitzShane wrote: »
    IMO, we have got a better squad but our first 11 is not stronger.
    That's questionable - We've lost our best individual player, but defensively we are much stronger, and on the evidence of yesterday the team is also more balanced than last season - we can now attack equally on both wings. This would suggest the first 11 will be stronger this season.
                  Mignolet

Johnson  Skrtel  Sakho  Flanagan

Gerrard

Henderson     Allen

Coutinho

Sturridge    Suarez

vs
                  Mignolet

Manquillo  Skrtel  Lovren  Johnson

Gerrard

Henderson     Lallana

Coutinho

Sturridge    Sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If you add what we should have on the bench, that would give the bigger picture of what we did in this window.*

*Obligatory you can't replace Suarez" post.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Nah. Not for me.

I'd still like to get rid of Johnson and get in Clyne. I really liked Manquillo yesterday but I do think he may need the season to settle in.

I hope this Moreno will get done on Wednesday morning after the SuperCup tomorrow.

So a RB & LB a Keeper and of course a Striker.

• Advertisement

Lovren would be the centre of Skrtel & Sakho is we went with a back three.

Having him there to cover both of them looks very good.
    What I like about that back three is all of them have the ability to take the ball out of defence, should it be the case that Gerrard is pressed like he was at home against Villa.

Agger always seemed to be carrying the ball out of defence before when this was the case, he has a knack of bringing it through midfield and either laying it off or running into trouble and buying himself a free kick. Sahko & Lovern seem well able to do this and Skrtel last season seemed far more comfortable doing it, however, the key difference for me is that, unlike Agger carrying it too far forward, they seem to get to a certain point, make a pass and get back in position to lower the threat of a counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

So what are people thinking is our best team?
    I really cant wait to see this to be honest

Mingolet
    ----Sakho-Lovern-Skrtel
    Johnson--Gerrard--Moreno
    ---Henderson---Coutinho
    Sterling
    Sturridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

K-9 wrote: »
    I'll always remember him for that pass back at West Brom!

For a season free deal he did all right.

He doesn't make that stupid mistake, we are sitting here as league champions :(

Our first 11 is not stronger.

Our squad should be but it's too early to judge that. Who knows how the new signings will do. On paper you'd have to say the squad is better tbf.

Needs plenty more strengthening though if we intend challenging for honours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

D'Agger wrote: »
    I think for the same price we got ourselves a 20 year old prospect who IMO, seems alot more comfortable on the ball than Medel as well as being physical, defensive player. That said - it's still very much early days with Can & Medel is a decent player for that price

while you are correct, I think there was plenty of scope to have both.

he managed a 3 man defence brilliantly at the world cup. I reckon he would be an excellent option instead of Gerrard if we needed to give him a rest or whatever.

he can also play across the backline.

meh, it isn't a huge deal, i just think he's a perfect utility player to have for the kind of busy season that we have in store (hopefully, extremely busy!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lads, it's been five days since we signed someone. I'm getting worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Our first 11 is definitely weaker. Im not complaining as it was almost inevitably going to be weaker with Suarezs sale. Our squad is so much better, which is more important over the course of a season. With signings and returning loanees weve pretty much added a whole new eleven to compete with our current crop.

Moreno/lovren coates ilori/manquillo
    Can
    Suso/lallana
    Markovic/lambert/ibe (borini?)

Suarez has been the only major departure so our lack of depth from last year has been well adressed. Sign a gk and a forward and our squad is in great shape for the season ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tomorrow night we'll all be watching the Super Cup as Moreno keeps Bale or James Rodders or Di Maria or Ronaldo quiet. I hope everyone knows its a friendly.

Anyone know if there's any good keepers available? We really need someone to be pushing Mignolet, and with at least 6 more big games this season, there's bound to be a mistake or three from him. Diego Lopez would be an incredible signing if we could pull that off.

Our starting back 5 should be alot stronger this season.

Our starting midfield should be a lot stronger this season.

Our bench is a lot stronger this season.

It is our forward line that is a lot weaker and even if we can add a player like Cavani it still would be weaker.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Our first 11 is not stronger.

Our squad should be but it's too early to judge that. Who knows how the new signings will do. On paper you'd have to say the squad is better tbf.

Needs plenty more strengthening though if we intend challenging for honours

Who would you sign?

I have to be honest here, this is the happiest I have been with our squad and first 11 in a very very long time, assuming Moreno signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »

I doubt any SF posters have concrete links to the transfer tbh

Phoenix wrote: »

I'm sure we will find out by Thursday

Who would you sign?

I have to be honest here, this is the happiest I have been with our squad and first 11 in a very very long time, assuming Moreno signs.

I'd prefer last years first XI tbh. This season's have proven nothing yet. Who knows who Lovren and Lallana will do.

Top forward and possibly another if Borini goes.

Another keeper.

Another CB if Agger goes.

More cover in the middle would be nice. Who plays Gerrards role if he gets injured for example?

This is the season to really push on while we have the cash imo. We are doing just ok so far in the window, more work needed

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd prefer last years first XI tbh. This season's have proven nothing yet. Who knows who Lovren and Lallana will do.

Top forward and possibly another if Borini goes.

Another keeper.

Another CB if Agger goes.

More cover in the middle would be nice. Who plays Gerrards role if he gets injured for example?

This is the season to really push on while we have the cash imo. We are doing just ok so far in the window, more work needed

I think we are suitably covered in midfield unless Lucas leaves.

I agree with the centre half but only if Agger leaves, if he stays there's no need for anyone else to come in.

A goalkeeper to push Mignolet is definitely needed.

From this;

101021-048-Napoli-Liverpool.jpg

To this;

PROP140810-001-Liverpool_Dortmund-600x375.jpg

Roy_Hodgson_is_Confused.jpg

djPSB wrote: »
    PROP140810-001-Liverpool_Dortmund-600x375.jpg

The two on the bottom left have already signed for Arsenal.

martyos121 wrote: »

Should be good for City in a few years so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I can only see one collection of terrible footballers and a hopeless manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

martyos121 wrote: »

No Philippe is still here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Hodgson or Sounness? I'd have to say Roy was worse for me, Sounness was more of a shock to the system given were we had come from only a few years before but Roy was just so unbearable in terms of the football played and his personality.

I reckon that team in the photo may be the worst 11 I can remember. Spearing, Poulsen, Jovanovic, that baldy cnut at LB, Babel and Ngog.

Thats a whole lot of disappoint right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Not the only big question...the other one is where does Markovic fit in when he is fully fit?

Nice to have options alright

Essentially he takes Moses' place on the bench, and will start more games than Moses for cup and easier league matches due to extra CL fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Where's that f*cking striker Vickery promised us?

Quick question.

If we are top of the table at the end of the window having won all our matches and scored for fun, will people still complain if a striker hasn't been signed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Quick question.

If we are top of the table at the end of the window having won all our matches and scored for fun, will people still complain if a striker hasn't been signed?

It's not complaining its prudence. We need more than just Sturridge..... As we did last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Quick question.

Yes because theres still not enough cover for Danny boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

You can't be for real?! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We should try get Suarez back.....

Sorry but I still really miss him :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement