Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

martyos121 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's any good keepers available? We really need someone to be pushing Mignolet, and with at least 6 more big games this season, there's bound to be a mistake or three from him. Diego Lopez would be an incredible signing if we could pull that off.

Ac Milan supposed to be first for him on a FREE, good bit of business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You can't be for real?! :confused:

I know what to expect from you anyway. Win and you go missing because of your busy work schedule, lose and miraculously work gets quiet and you have plenty of time to post here, I'm shocked anybody takes you and what you have to say seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Quick question.

If we are top of the table at the end of the window having won all our matches and scored for fun, will people still complain if a striker hasn't been signed?

Of course, and rightly so...

I have no doubt we'll get one, as not doing so would be insanity - but in fairness the club have very actively acknowledged we need one so i'm not too worried.

But yeah, of course people would complain if we didn't.
    As it stands for the system we play we have one centre forward. If Sturridge gets injured (and he obviously will), we have to change everything to fit his replacement. Neither Borini (if he stays, which he probably wont) nor Lambert have the attributes required to play on the break that Sturridge has.

Not to dismiss Lambert, but his purpose comes as an option B in games we dominate, but can't get the breakthrough. For the majority of our games, when we're drawing the opposition in, and then breaking quickly, he's not an effective replacement. Remy would have fit nicely, and is exactly the type of player we will likely be looking for.

ASOT wrote: »
    Yes because theres still not enough cover for Danny boy

I agree we need cover but I just don't see that as an out and out striker. I want someone who can play up front or anywhere behind Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The next attacking player signed should be at least the same caliber as Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho and Lallana. Tbh i can't see us signing anyone of quality to play up front. FSG won't stump up the £30 million plus it will take to bring in someone of quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

kfallon wrote: »
    We should try get Suarez back.....

Sorry but I still really miss him :(

3707096.jpg

Super-Rush wrote: »
    The next attacking player signed should be at least the same caliber as Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho and Lallana. Tbh i can't see us signing anyone of quality to play up front. FSG won't stump up the £30 million plus it will take to bring in someone of quality.

That has been my point, I don't see to many players out there that fit the bill. All has gone quiet on Konyoplanka, we know what happened with Remy. Tbh my first choice would be someone like Jovetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I know what to expect from you anyway. Win and you go missing because of your busy work schedule, lose and miraculously work gets quiet and you have plenty of time to post here, I'm shocked anybody takes you and what you have to say seriously.

What are you talking about and what is your weird problem with me? :confused:

I've posted on this site for nearly ten years. Through good times, great times, horrid times and average times. Your little crush on me is flattering but somewhat unsettling. Trying to make me out as some sort of fair weather fan is laughable too.

I don't post as much any more for a variety of reasons, the dwindling quality of posters/posts being a large one. Your post seemingly stating that if we win our first couple of games it'll be proof that we were right not to buy a striker is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Apparently Trabonzspor president has confirmed that Kolo Toure has agreed personal terms and will join their squad shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

dubdamo wrote: »
    Apparently Trabonzspor president has confirmed that Kolo Toure has agreed personal terms and will join their squad shortly.

2 million it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Quick question.

If we are top of the table at the end of the window having won all our matches and scored for fun, will people still complain if a striker hasn't been signed?

Yes...

And rightly so. Say Sturridge is injured on Sept 1st with an acl tear and there is no back up ... those 3 games are history. So of course we should get back up of suitable quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's decided then, we need to coax Luis Garcia out of retirement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Vicxas wrote: »
    2 million it seems.

So we've made 2 mill profit on him?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyone else here go to the Dortmund game? Haven't had time to read back been travelling and sleeping since :)

Have to say Lovren looks like an incredible signing, looked brilliant yesterday.

Either Johnson played well yesterday or else he doesn't look as bad in the flesh (maybe that's why BR plays him all the time)
    Manquillo looks like a promising signing too.

After watching yesterday's performance I have no doubts we will be up there again this season. Sure Suarez is gone but if we can concede 20 less goals and score a few more (Coutinho might finally find his shooting boots :D ) I can't see things being as bad as some would make out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So we've made 2 mill profit on him?

More than that, he's been written down the books as a tax avoidance scheme! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Safe travels Kolo, with any luck we won't see your shower meme again. ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

billy2012 wrote: »

Shocking cross from Coutinho there, really lacking quality in the final third without Suarez :pac:

The past couple of weeks I've been ruminating about who to bring in up front, like most other fans. Every single option seem to have plus points and negative, eg he can play as out-and-out striker but may not link well with passing, he can play anywhere up front but isn't prolific, he could fit in but is 30+ yo and may not fit the FSG buying strategy, he's ideal but would want to start the big games and would be tricky to accommodate with Sturridge, and on and on..

I need this sorted out soon so I can re-focus on my own life. I can't help feeling that the player we do sign - and I have no doubt we will sign one as Studge's fitness cannot be relied on - is a player that none of us have already considered. It happened with Sturridge/Coutinho and look how they turned out, so I'm having a word with myself, taking a breather and giving up the guessing game as of tonight.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Liverpool-meme-7-500x479.png

Mr Alan wrote: »
    What are you talking about and what is your weird problem with me? :confused:

I've posted on this site for nearly ten years. Through good times, great times, horrid times and average times. Your little crush on me is flattering but somewhat unsettling. Trying to make me out as some sort of fair weather fan is laughable too.

I don't post as much any more for a variety of reasons, the dwindling quality of posters/posts being a large one. Your post seemingly stating that if we win our first couple of games it'll be proof that we were right not to buy a striker is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

A crush? Afraid not, sorry to burst your bubble.

Since I started reading this forum you have been as predictable as Arsenals after Christmas collapse. When we are winning you are nowhere to be seen, the second there is a bad result or something you can use to paint the club in a bad light you manage to find free time in your schedule. It's hilarious really and I'll have no problem calling someone up on their bull**** when I see it.

Apologies to other posters and the mods for going OT, it won't happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

If we are going to compare the first 11 from this season to last season then we will have to also consider the improvement and consistency of both Sterling and Countinho (at least so far) from last year to this!

Sterling came on very strong during the second half of the season, but is by the looks of things is getting better all the time! Coutinho had some very good moments last year but so far (albeit in preseason) looks to have likewise gone up a level and appears to be far more consistent!

I'm not saying we definitely have a better first 11, but I do not think it is as far off as some people believe! However being as good as last year will not be enough IMO as a number of the teams around us (namely Arsenal, Chelsea and United) have improved quite a bit in their own ways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Super-Rush wrote: »

Of those 4 only Lallana cost anything near 30 million.

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I'm not saying we definitely have a better first 11, but I do not think it is as far off as some people believe! However being as good as last year will not be enough IMO as a number of the teams around us (namely Arsenal, Chelsea and United) have improved quite a bit in their own ways!

I don't agree that United have improved. If the window closes and this is their squad then there is nothing to fear, a shockingly poor defence which will be exposed time and again by any bit of pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If himself and Agger leave that means we've got

Lovren
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Kelly
    Ilori
    Coates

Lovren, Skrtel and Sakho will play 90% of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bit of an odd one but a few people are saying coates played in midfield in the burnley game at melwood today. Curveball.

If we were top after 3 games after scoring 15 goals I'd still want a quality forward in.

Teams go through bad injury crisis and last year we were fortunate not to have Sturridge and Suarez out together.

Remember we'll have 2 games a week for at least 6 weeks before Christmas, and 6 games where we need a full strength team out every game.

It's inevitable we will drop points after some CL games, happens most teams. That's why we need to give ourselves the best opportunity of sustaining a decent league position by having the very best guys waiting in the wings to come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I don't agree that United have improved. If the window closes and this is their squad then there is nothing to fear, a shockingly poor defence which will be exposed time and again by any bit of pace.

I don't think they're squad (and manager) is good enough to win the league as it stands but they are far ahead of the team that played last year!

I don't think they're squad (and manager) is good enough to win the league as it stands but they are far ahead of the team that played last year!

They have lost a lot of experience from their defence and haven't shown signs of replacing it. I'll put it to you like this, would you be happy having Smalling, Evans and Jones as our 3 first choice centre halves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Far ahead in terms of manager but they've lost a lot of defensive experience, missed out on vermalen, and only really added a teenage left back and a midfielder who may or may not suit the PL. LVG won't drop some of the point Moyes did but he's still well shy of a balanced team.

(Mind you I got savaged for pointing that out in the premier league predictions thread- sensetive lot!)

If himself and Agger leave that means we've got

Lovren
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Kelly
    Ilori
    Coates

Lovren, Skrtel and Sakho will play 90% of the games.

Paisley Gates, don't know how reliable they are, are reporting that Ilori is going to Bordeaux on a season long loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

x43r0 wrote: »
    For all the jokes about people being good at Football Manager and translating the skills to real life, there might actually be something to it :pac:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28738388

The player database, or a version of it anyway, has been used by Everton for a number of seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

martyos121 wrote: »
    It's decided then, we need to coax Luis Garcia out of retirement.

Hasn't he signed for a team in India or something?
    A crush? Afraid not, sorry to burst your bubble.

Since I started reading this forum you have been as predictable as Arsenals after Christmas collapse. When we are winning you are nowhere to be seen, the second there is a bad result or something you can use to paint the club in a bad light you manage to find free time in your schedule. It's hilarious really and I'll have no problem calling someone up on their bull**** when I see it.

Apologies to other posters and the mods for going OT, it won't happen again.

I think you are suffering from a case of confirmation bias. It's much like the fact that I alwasys seem to look at the time when it's 13:37 but I'm pretty sure I look at it as often as 15:23, but that doesn't stick in my head as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Talisman wrote: »
    we can now attack equally on both wings.

Mignolet

Manquillo  Skrtel  Lovren  Johnson

Gerrard

Henderson     Lallana

Coutinho

Sturridge    Sterling

Trying to figure out how that sentence and this team lineup are connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Lambert scoring two today against Burnley will do him no harm, hope he gets off the mark quick once the season starts, not least so commentators can stop with the fairytale rubbish every time he comes on!

This is the most bizarre thing I've seen in a long time. I'm sure it's likely too!
    Anfield Oracle ‏@AnfieldOracle2 11m
    Rihanna wants to buy Liverpool Football Club, according to Mundo Deportivo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5starpool wrote: »
    This is the most bizarre thing I've seen in a long time. I'm sure it's likely too!

I was reading that.

You might need google translate for it.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140811/futbol/premier-league/el-club-que-quiere-comprar-rihanna-es-el-liverpool_54412969416.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Please please please please be a wind up.

Please.

It's the idea of it, not a chance it would actually happen but still... Rihanna, Liverpool. :eek: :( :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Please please please please be a wind up.

Please.

It's the idea of it, not a chance it would actually happen but still... Rihanna, Liverpool. :eek: :( :pac:

Maybe Fenway will take her money as an investor.......:rolleyes:

She could help us sign a few Germans after her antics at the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Quick question.

In fairness Vinz you pretty much jumped on Alan after his response to your above statement. I replied in the same way he did more or less and so did others. As in I think that's an incredibly naive question you have asked.

You are asking if after 3 games in a 38 league game season as well as champions league, fa cup and carling cup would we complain if we didn't sign another striker because we were playing well in the first 3? To be honest I'm utterly flabbergasted at that point of view.

Injury, form, tactics, options, fatigue, suspensions etc there are so many reasons why we should have another TOP quality option up front. I actually can't see any reason why someone wouldn't want us to sign another top player up front - out an out striker or otherwise.

If we sign a LB and top class striker this window has the potential to be one of the best in recent memory. Without those 2 additions we will be short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

LeBron is a minority owner. I don't see why Rihanna couldn't be if it brings in money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Have we signed Reus yet?

This is one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a while.

BuyOTmiCIAA6POj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

LeBron is a minority owner. I don't see why Rihanna couldn't be if it brings in money.

Is she a fan? I know lana del ray is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

This is one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a while.

BuyOTmiCIAA6POj.jpg

Bizarre day for you today!!:D

gafferino wrote: »
    In fairness Vinz you pretty much jumped on Alan after his response to your above statement. I replied in the same way he did more or less and so did others. As in I think that's an incredibly naive question you have asked.

You are asking if after 3 games in a 38 league game season as well as champions league, fa cup and carling cup would we complain if we didn't sign another striker because we were playing well in the first 3? To be honest I'm utterly flabbergasted at that point of view.

Injury, form, tactics, options, fatigue, suspensions etc there are so many reasons why we should have another TOP quality option up front. I actually can't see any reason why someone wouldn't want us to sign another top player up front - out an out striker or otherwise.

If we sign a LB and top class striker this window has the potential to be one of the best in recent memory. Without those 2 additions we will be short.

Even LB we would probably be ok - we have the options to get through another injury to Enrique.

For me, up front is the key position that needs strengthening right now - it's the one position in the squad where one injury could curtail the whole season.

As for some people mentioning Sterling up front - not yet, not on his own. The comparison was made to Michael Owen, but at that stage of his career, Owen always played with another striker who could play with their back to goal, so Owen could always run from deeper, getting posession facing goal.

Sterling is as unsuited to replace Sturridge as Lambert is. Playing the lone frontman role is very tough, and physically demanding. Have to be able to hold off a defender on your back, win the ball, find a man, and then have the speed to make the run. Sterling is incredibly strong for his size, but that's just asking way too much of him at this stage, and lessens the team by not having him be the man running onto another strikers hold up play.

gafferino wrote: »

I have stated numerous times that I don't believe a striker is necessary to the club. A player who has the ability to play up front while being comfortable behind is what I want and am hoping for. Other posters will complain if that kind of player is brought in instead of having faith in the manager.

I probably should have worded that original post better, I apologise for that. I don't want us to sign an out and out striker because I don't think it's necessary, in Sturridge we have one of the best in the league, why would we replace him? We won't be playing with 2 strikers much this season, that much should be obvious.

billy2012 wrote: »
    Bizarre day for you today!!:D

Ha, I didn't know I used practically the same wording for both.

That's bizarre!

I have stated numerous times that I don't believe a striker is necessary to the club. A player who has the ability to play up front while being comfortable behind is what I want and am hoping for. Other posters will complain if that kind of player is brought in instead of having faith in the manager.

I probably should have worded that original post better, I apologise for that. I don't want us to sign an out and out striker because I don't think it's necessary, in Sturridge we have one of the best in the league, why would we replace him? We won't be playing with 2 strikers much this season, that much should be obvious.

I honestly just can't make any sense out of what you're saying...we're going to play over 50 games this year. If Sturridge doesn't start up front - who starts in his place? Seriously, we have no-one who can do the same job as him in reserve. Even if he was fit for the whole season, he cant start every game - and we already know that he'll likely miss a month or so at some point with an injury - as he does every season. Christ, he's only just coming back from another injury right now.

As for the "instead of having faith in the manager" comment - the manager very obviously feels the same as I do. He's already tried to sign Remy to fill that exact position, and has also stated we need to bring in another striker.

Starting with only one man who can fulfill that role would be negligence.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I honestly just can't make any sense of what you're saying...we're going to play over 50 games this year. If Sturridge doesn't start up front - who starts in his place? Seriously, we have no-one who can do the same job as him in reserve.

As for the "instead of having faith in the manager" comment - the manager very obviously feels the same as I do. He's already tried to sign Remy to fill that exact position, and has also stated we need to bring in another striker.

Starting with only one man who can fulfill that role would be negligence.

Over 50 games? We could end up with an extra 8 games on top of the 38 league games.

The manager tried to bring in Remy, a signing I would have been very happy with as he fills the criteria I mentioned earlier in that he could play behind Sturridge aswell as up front on his own, that's the kind of signing I want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Hmmmm, dirty Riri or classy Linda, I'm conflicted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement