Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Hmmmm, dirty Riri or classy Linda, I'm conflicted.

There wouldn't be any clean sheets anyway

I have stated numerous times that I don't believe a striker is necessary to the club. A player who has the ability to play up front while being comfortable behind is what I want and am hoping for. Other posters will complain if that kind of player is brought in instead of having faith in the manager.

I probably should have worded that original post better, I apologise for that. I don't want us to sign an out and out striker because I don't think it's necessary, in Sturridge we have one of the best in the league, why would we replace him? We won't be playing with 2 strikers much this season, that much should be obvious.

Not sure where to start. Bullet points(with no bullets)

The manager himself says we need a striker.

Why can't we sign someone to play as a partner /wing forward whatever with Sturridge?

How do you know how we'll line up this season?

Who's saying they want to replace Sturridge?

I give up, I'm not mentioning the word striker until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

They have lost a lot of experience from their defence and haven't shown signs of replacing it. I'll put it to you like this, would you be happy having Smalling, Evans and Jones as our 3 first choice centre halves?

I don't think the current version of Ferdinand or Vidic (including their experience) would be an upgrade on the above! No, I wouldn't be happy if they were our CB's but I don't think united are happy with the above trio, and I would be very surprised if they do not bring in at least one more body!

They will be better than last year though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I honestly just can't make any sense out of what you're saying...we're going to play over 50 games this year. If Sturridge doesn't start up front - who starts in his place? Seriously, we have no-one who can do the same job as him in reserve. Even if he was fit for the whole season, he cant start every game - and we already know that he'll likely miss a month or so at some point with an injury - as he does every season. Christ, he's only just coming back from another injury right now.

As for the "instead of having faith in the manager" comment - the manager very obviously feels the same as I do. He's already tried to sign Remy to fill that exact position, and has also stated we need to bring in another striker.

Starting with only one man who can fulfill that role would be negligence.

It looks like Borini is going to stay. How would people feel about him stepping into the firing line?

Me...

qeXitDr.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I have stated numerous times that I don't believe a striker is necessary to the club. A player who has the ability to play up front while being comfortable behind is what I want and am hoping for. Other posters will complain if that kind of player is brought in instead of having faith in the manager.

I probably should have worded that original post better, I apologise for that. I don't want us to sign an out and out striker because I don't think it's necessary, in Sturridge we have one of the best in the league, why would we replace him? We won't be playing with 2 strikers much this season, that much should be obvious.
    What if Sturridge is out for 6 weeks which could easily happen. We would be stuck with Lambert who is a good player but too slow to suit our style of play & doesn't have the greatest fitness either & doesn't move the ball qick enough either. Or Borini who lacks the techique to play up top on his own. Its critical we get another top class striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Over 50 games? We could end up with an extra 8 games on top of the 38 league games.

The manager tried to bring in Remy, a signing I would have been very happy with as he fills the criteria I mentioned earlier in that he could play behind Sturridge aswell as up front on his own, that's the kind of signing I want.

Well, with your plan of not worrying about a backup striker, you're probably right, we probably will be limited to the minimum number of cup games possible.

I still don't understand your point though. You're arguing against buying a striker, yet advocating the buying of a striker who can also play wide. I mean, no shit, that's exactly what everyone wants - the key part of what this proposed purchase can do is the striker bit though. That's where we're short staffed.

In the supporting role we're pretty well stocked as it is - where we're weak is up front. Sure, it'd be great to have one who can one who can play with, as well as instead of, Sturridge - but the key attribute needed is someone who is comfortable playing up front on their own and scoring goals in that role. I can't understand how you can't agree with this.

Fescue wrote: »
    It looks like Borini is going to stay. How would people feel about him stepping into the firing line?

Me...

qeXitDr.gif

He'd be ok. He'd be perfectly adequate. He'd be grand. But he would also be a definite drop from the man he'd be replacing. I'd be fine with having Borini as an option, but he's not the man i'd like to rely on for a month or two.

He'd be ok. He'd be perfectly adequate. He'd be grand. But he would also be a definite drop from the man he'd be replacing. I'd be fine with having Borini as an option, but he's not the man i'd like to rely on for a month or two.

I still think Bony would do really well for Liverpool.

Fescue wrote: »

Me...

qeXitDr.gif

I would have no problem whatsoever with him being the backup for Sturridge.

• Advertisement

Ah here, full sure you're not serious now

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd be very underwhelmed if our backups to a player who is very unlikely to stay fit for the season were Borini and Lambert.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ah here, full sure you're not serious now

He has never had a run up front for us. What's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The manager clearly doesn't think him currently good enough, hence us accepting Sunderlands offer earlier in the summer.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The manager clearly doesn't think him currently good enough, hence us accepting Sunderlands offer earlier in the summer.

And what an offer!

Maybe some or our hopes and expectations are higher than a guy who, as you said, has never had a run up front for us. I want a guy who I know can fill in successfully. i want a guy who can reasonably be expected to start in a league chasing team.

Borini is a good footballer, he works very hard, but he just won't score the number of goals that you want from your front man. He showed a lot of commendable traits at Sunderland, but at the end of the day he scored 7 goals - including a number of penalties - in 32 games. That's a significant drop off from the man he'd be replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Mr Alan wrote: »

And the manager would be right IMO. Borini is a good player, just not good enough for where we wanna be going forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Rihanna buying the club eh?

What i want to know is, at a rainy night in Stoke who'll be under her umbrella?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

We're the new hipsters club !

LeBron
    Rihanna
    James Bond

They all wanna piece

5902047.gif

He did well for Sunderland and was hardly prolific there. I think he's a few levels below what we need if we want to challenge for top honours

• Advertisement

Chances at Sunderland V chances at Liverpool.

Do I need to point out the glaring issue there?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Andy hunter reporting that we are interested in etoo. I said it here a while back, he would be a super signing for us for the short term. Low risk but high wages. He would score bags of goals in our system

Borini is a guy i'd be only too happy to have come on after 60 minutes when we're 4-0 up, and want to give Sturridge a break

What I want is a guy who, at 1-0 down after 60 minutes, can come on for Sturridge when he's having one of his "ineffective days" (and lets not forget that he does have ineffective days!), and who's introduction you get excited about.

We have that depth now in the wide positions, where we could bring on Markovic for example, and get excited about what he'll bring to the game. We just don't have that up front.

Eto'o wouldn't be a good idea. Look how Toure turned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Andy hunter reporting that we are interested in etoo. I said it here a while back, he would be a super signing for us for the short term. Low risk but high wages. He would score bags of goals in our system

Jesus what a disappointing signing that would be if he is the only cf we bring in.

Not ideal, but certainly an interesting option. The longer the season went on with him at Chelsea, the sharper he looked. Suits our system a lot better than Chelsea's too.

Eto's wouldn't be a bad option IF we signed another striker. Eto'o is 33 & also injury prone. Having 2 30+ strikers wouldn't be ideal either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

No no no no no no no no no Eto!

Etoo as 3rd striker I could live with instead of Borini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

It's not just Hunter that's reporting Eto'o, the usuals have been briefed it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Get him away!

I'd prefer to resign Anthony Le Tallec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

MD1990 wrote: »

Think Toure worked out great for a free. Just the back pass at west brom stands out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Get him away!

I'd prefer to resign Anthony Le Tallec.
    ...or Sean Dundee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Think Toure worked out great for a free. Just the back pass at west brom stands out

*cough* *cough* OG at Fulham *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Eto'o? We have a 32 y/o back up to our excellent but some times injury prone striker , we dont need a 33 y/o injury prone back up striker on top of that again. Go again....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I just spent three hours watching Battle of the Bulge, I get back to Battle of Bullsh1t!

KingJamsie wrote: »
    He started well & seems a great character. But the the 2nd half of the season he was poor & capable of huhe errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

if we got eto in and sold borini and also bring in Bony i would be quite happy

With us considering Eto'o & Remy was going to be given the #7 shirt. I think we can rule out a big name signing happening before the end of the window.

So this is the player Tim Vickery's mystery agent was talking about, Eto'o. Samuel "age undisclosed" Eto'o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

ricero wrote: »
    if we got eto in and sold borini and also bring in Bony i would be quite happy

The most we'll get out of Etoo is a year, and I don't even think he's much better than Borini. At least there's a chance Borini could come good this year and prove to be a valuable asset, whilst Etoo is on his last legs.

It's all about expectation. Toure is a good example - as a first choice player, he's underwhelming, whereas under the actual circumstances, he was probably the best 4th choice CB we've had for a very very long time. Usually our 4th choice is some kid who's shakey as ****. Toure made a few high profile mistakes, but by and large was a perfectly good 4th choice option. It's just a shame that we had so many injuries at centre back so he was relied upon waaaay more than he should have been.

For what he is, Eto'o could add something. He's amongst the most natural finishers i've ever seen, and still has terrific movement. I also have a personal bias towards him, as he's one of my favorite strikers of all time. For all the issues of his age, he still scored 9 in 21 appearances in the league last year. If we had 4 striker options - Sturridge, 2nd Choice, Eto'o and Lambert, i'd be ok with that.

It's all about expectation. Toure is a good example - as a first choice player, he's underwhelming, whereas under the actual circumstances, he was probably the best 4th choice CB we've had for a very very long time. Usually our 4th choice is some kid who's shakey as ****. Toure made a few high profile mistakes, but by and large was a perfectly good 4th choice option. It's just a shame that we had so many injuries at centre back so he was relied upon waaaay more than he should have been.

For what he is, Eto'o could add something. He's amongst the most natural finishers i've ever seen, and still has terrific movement. I also have a personal bias towards him, as he's one of my favorite strikers of all time. If we had 4 striker options - Sturridge, 2nd Choice, Eto'o and Lambert, i'd be ok with that.
    One of mine too but he has struggled with injuries last few years especially his knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

It's likely we're trying for a short term deal for a striker so that Origi can take his place next year. So basically our choices are apparently Falcao or Cavani on loan or Eto'o on a one-year deal.

aaaay more than he should have been.

For what he is, Eto'o could add something. He's amongst the most natural finishers i've ever seen, and still has terrific movement. I also have a personal bias towards him, as he's one of my favorite strikers of all time. If we had 4 striker options - Sturridge, 2nd Choice, Eto'o and Lambert, i'd be ok with that.

Suppose its Sturridge, Eto and Lambert though? Liverpool have 50-60 million quid burning a hole, there must be more to this. Another wide man maybe - someone like Lavezzi or Volland

Or as we've discussed before is there in fact a cunning plan to turn Sterling into a withdrawn striker?

One of mine too but he has struggled with injuries last few years especially his knee.

Wouldn't worry too much about that to be honest - his role with us shouldn't be more than 20 or 30 minutes here and there. Would be reasonably easy to manage his fitness I think. At the end of the day, when you need a goal, there are few people you want the ball to fall to in the box more than Samuel Eto'o.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can't wait for much more of this this season

OldfashionedSingleBlackfly.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Eto'o? Someone's havin a laugh,yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Eto'o? Someone's havin a laugh,yeah?

He lost all my respect after this
    bpifwWe.jpg

He lost all my respect after this
    www.imgur.com/bpifwWe

I literally could not care less about stuff like that if he were to join. Christ, i'd have bitey mcbiterson back in a heartbeat if he'd come! Same goes for the likes of Diego Costa.

Bottom line for me is - if they can do a job with the right attitude, bring em in. If they can't, don't.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement