Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Eto is half the player he was few years ago.

Semi Eto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I literally could not care less about stuff like that if he were to join. Christ, i'd have bitey mcbiterson back in a heartbeat if he'd come! Same goes for the likes of Diego Costa.

Bottom line for me is - if they can do a job with the right attitude, bring em in. If they can't, don't.

Bitey McBiterson signed a new contract AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Would echo the majority opinion on here.

We need a better striker than Borini or Lambert to cover/compete/play alongside Sturridge.

Etoo is not that better striker we need.

It's an incredibly important position and signing to get right imo

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He did well for Sunderland and was hardly prolific there. I think he's a few levels below what we need if we want to challenge for top honours

You love your levels talk. Have you got a diagrammatic representation of these levels with explanations? I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If Eto'o is the answer, then whats the question? Seems like more squad filler to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

NukaCola wrote: »
    If Eto'o is the answer, then whats the question? Seems like more squad filler to me.

He actually didn't have a bad scoring record for Chelsea last season when he played. He was almost 1 in 2. He's another year older now though and not getting any younger or quicker.

Would prefer us to go out and just buy a good striker that we won't have to replace again in another year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

If Eto'o is the best we can do at this stage, it's a sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Andy hunter reporting that we are interested in etoo. I said it here a while back, he would be a super signing for us for the short term. Low risk but high wages. He would score bags of goals in our system

thought he looked a bit past it at chelsea, however we play a better passing game than chelsea, so for the right price i'd take a punt if he was the last option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

mada999 wrote: »
    thought he looked a bit past it at chelsea, however we play a better passing game than chelsea, so for the right price i'd take a punt if he was the last option

He doesn't have a club atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

He actually didn't have a bad scoring record for Chelsea last season when he played. He was almost 1 in 2. He's another year older now though and not getting any younger or quicker.

Would prefer us to go out and just buy a good striker that we won't have to replace again in another year anyway.

Take out the United game where you might have got a hat-trick yourself and he scored 6 goals from 20 games.
    Stats might show he did ok but your eyes will tell you he didn't have a good season at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Wouldn't mind seeing that hat-trick again! you got a link? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I would have kept etoo before torres or ba but that doesnt say much. Etoo missed countless chances last year.

He might be a decent option for a year but i wouldnt be expecting to much from him of hes signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

LFC are talking to Eto'o because he's a free agent. If there's a top striker coming in this transfer window, signing Eto'o won't change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RainMaker wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing that hat-trick again! you got a link? :D

https://www.google.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

He doesn't have a club atm.

wages :)

• Advertisement

mada999 wrote: »
    wages :)

He's not going to lower his wage demands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I keep saying it but you have to look at the simple equation here. There are strikers you cant get, there are others you cant afford, then there's the level we are batting at. Chelsea had to wait for Costa to become available by signing someone like Etoo, thats really the reality of the market for strikers.

Bony could do a job over a season for us but its a difficult one, he isnt a harrier from the top (thats why Remy was favoured imho) and thats what we need to fit the system. But he would be excellent against stubborn defences by bringing other players into play and generally being an ox in possession.

I really wouldnt be surprised at this stage if we got into that territory we got into with Sturridge, ie try and wing it to the next window and keep gnawing away in the background. Problem is, you might have alot of ground to make due to lack on numbers. Sturridge was good enough to deputise for a missing Suarez, ditto for Suarez. At the current point in time we are fked if Sturridge is lost for a period imo.

And thats a big problem in the grand scheme. The club needs a player who will start but can also dovetail positions to suit. Needs to be able to play off Sturridge and also play Sturridge's role on his own and do it justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

No no no no no no no no no Eto!

The new 'Toure' song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

daithijjj wrote: »
    I keep saying it but you have to look at the simple equation here. There are strikers you cant get, there are others you cant afford, then there's the level we are batting at. Chelsea had to wait for Costa to become available by signing someone like Etoo, thats really the reality of the market for strikers.

Bony could do a job over a season for us but its a difficult one, he isnt a harrier from the top (thats why Remy was favoured imho) and thats what we need to fit the system. But he would be excellent against stubborn defences by bringing other players into play and generally being an ox in possession.

I really wouldnt be surprised at this stage if we got into that territory we got into with Sturridge, ie try and wing it to the next window and keep gnawing away in the background. Problem is, you might have alot of ground to make due to lack on numbers. Sturridge was good enough to deputise for a missing Suarez, ditto for Suarez. At the current point in time we are fked if Sturridge is lost for a period imo.

And thats a big problem in the grand scheme. The club needs a player who will start but can also dovetail positions to suit. Needs to be able to play off Sturridge and also play Sturridge's role on his own and do it justice.

Sooo.....we're signing Reus in January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Eto'o? for fcksake. I thought the days of chasing these types was over. On the subject of strikers, Lambert has looked terrible during pre season i know it's early, but he just looks like a player completely at odds with our style of play. Lambert & Eto'o is just completely uninspiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Eto'o? for fcksake. I thought the days of chasing these types was over. On the subject of strikers, Lambert has looked terrible during pre season i know it's early, but he just looks like a player completely at odds with our style of play. Lambert & Eto'o is just completely uninspiring.

Liverpool signed Lambert this season and Toure last season, what days are you talking about :confused:

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Liverpool signed Lambert this season and Toure last season, what days are you talking about :confused:

At least Lambert will put a shift in and has reasonable wages. Etoo is well, well past it at this stage and would still be seeking "starting 11"-type wages, as well as holding a massive ego. Kolo and Lambert were obviously signed as backup-to-backup as well, Etoo will have to play a far more important role if we get him, unless it turns out we get him plus another striker which would just seem pointless seeing as we already have 2 backup strikers, and 3 if we get him. We weren't exactly expecting top class talent before we signed Kolo or Rickie either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Eto'o.

No, just no. Im not even going to justify why as everyone here agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

I dont agree at all, I think if we are struggling to get someone in this window that Etoo would definitely fill the gap in our squad until January. Proven ability, not as lethal as he once was but still a good player. He has pace, trickery and can hold the ball up. Can also still take a score when he gets the opportunity. He played in an ultra defensive system at Chelsea, he would get a LOT more scoring chances at Liverpool

Chelsea-strikers-vs-top-scorers.jpg

Look at his shooting accuracy vs clear cut chances. He obviously wasnt lacking confidence and hit the target its just they were mostly half chances that he was presented with. The same will not be true at Liverpool where he will get plenty of clear cut chances

To be clear, is he my first choice ? Hell no. He would not be in my top 10 choices but I think he has experience, pace, ability and could definitely do a job for us on a cold night away to Stoke as the cliche goes

I dont agree at all, I think if we are struggling to get someone in this window that Etoo would definitely fill the gap in our squad until January. Proven ability, not as lethal as he once was but still a good player. He has pace, trickery and can hold the ball up. Can also still take a score when he gets the opportunity. He played in an ultra defensive system at Chelsea, he would get a LOT more scoring chances at Liverpool

Look at his shooting accuracy vs clear cut chances. He obviously wasnt lacking confidence and hit the target its just they were mostly half chances that he was presented with. The same will not be true at Liverpool where he will get plenty of clear cut chances

To be clear, is he my first choice ? Hell no. He would not be in my top 10 choices but I think he has experience, pace, ability and could definitely do a job for us on a cold night away to Stoke as the cliche goes

Lol all that graph shows me is how awful Torres is :P :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

marno21 wrote: »
    Can't wait for much more of this this season

OldfashionedSingleBlackfly.gif

That pass has to beat Gerrard's outside of the boot from last season against Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Eto'o was rumoured to be in talks with Ajax at the weekend which I thought was a great move. Liverpool I don't agree with, don't think he'd change a game off the bench. I do get that a year of somebody before Origi comes back looks like the plan though.

What I will say is that I had been thinking before that if the Ajax rumours are true, then there's no way his wage demands are crazy as they don't typically pay top dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Eto is passed it, Ricky Lambert is a head scratching signing, too slow, of body and mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

dogbert27 wrote: »

Except that he has never done anything to suggest he'd be a good signing?
    He could barely get off the bench for Stoke!

Eto'o is not an inspiring move, but he has bags of experience, he'd be a good occasional replacement for Daniel at the point of the 3 as he's a natural poacher.

But I think this has been leaked to force someone's hand, some club who are stalling elsewhere...

Watch from 1.30 on, some very smart finishes in there...

Barratt saying the interest is real in his article this morning and that its a one year measure until Origi arrives next summer. Says wages will be 100k which is what Bony is looking for except there is no £19m transfer fee to boot. I think its an astute bit of business if we pull the trigger on the deal .

Im sure people here will love this
    Ryan Babel just tweeted an article linking himself with a move back to Liverpool
    If BR can turn around that lads career then he really is the second coming of Jesús

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Im sure people here will love this
    Ryan Babel just tweeted an article linking himself with a move back to Liverpool
    If BR can turn around that lads career then he really is the second coming of Jesús

He would have been excellent in our current system, that boat is long gone though.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Except that he has never done anything to suggest he'd be a good signing?
    He could barely get off the bench for Stoke!

13 goals in 13 games for Man City reserves.

20 goals in 23 games for Feyenoord.

You're right though, don't know what happened to him last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That pass has to beat Gerrard's outside of the boot from last season against Fulham.

Not a by a long shot!

That was Gerrard's most decisive contribution of the entire season imo!

Chips were down, we didn't look like scoring, title hopes hanging by a thread and he came up with that away from home. Sublime pass!

I wasn't as made up with his performances last year as some were but that pass I'll always remember.

13 goals in 13 games for Man City reserves.

20 goals in 23 games for Feyenoord.

You're right though, don't know what happened to him last year.

I wouldn't count the goals for City reserves, otherwise we'd have kept Adam Morgan!

With our scouting network, we have to be able to fiond better than that.
    And better that Eto'o to be honest, but the latter would clearly be a short term filler. Not at 100k a week, not in a million years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sturridge, Lambert/Boroni

I certainly would hate to lose Boroni if he wasn't going to be replaced.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Sturridge, Lambert/Boroni

I certainly would hate to lose Boroni if he wasn't going to be replaced.

Wouldnt be the worst, I mean Borini has proven he can score against big teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we are signing eto there has to a wing forward coming in. Replacing Suarez with that mercenary is awful stuff. Praying Sturridge doesn't get injured.

noodler wrote: »
    Not a by a long shot!

That was Gerrard's most decisive contribution of the entire season imo!

Chips were down, we didn't look like scoring, title hopes hanging by a thread and he came up with that away from home. Sublime pass!

I wasn't as made up with his performances last year as some were but that pass I'll always remember.

It was the first half and we were 1-0 down, fair enough.

But I'd say scoring the penalty with the last kick off the game to win the match was probably more decisive with regard to keeping the title hopes alive! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rob316 wrote: »
    If we are signing eto there has to a wing forward coming in. Replacing Suarez with that mercenary is awful stuff. Praying Sturridge doesn't get injured.

Sturridge WILL get injured. A lot. Appearances in all comps at top level every season as a pro:

He has never played 50+ games in a season. Don't hold your breath on that score imo.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sturridge WILL get injured. A lot. Appearances in all comps at top level every season as a pro:

He has never played 50+ games in a season. Don't hold your breath on that score imo.

How much of that was down to him never being first choice at any club outside of Bolton though ? I agree his injury record is terrible but hopefully as his body matures they will become less frequent. Hopefully

How much of that was down to him never being first choice at any club outside of Bolton though?

Exactly. Although I don't think he could have played 43 in that season, he only played a dozen for Bolton.

His injury record is patchy, but that can only explain him missing games for us and Bolton, so only 2 full seasons...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Slightly misleading stats as he was never first choice at Chelsea or City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How much of that was down to him never being first choice at any club outside of Bolton though ? I agree his injury record is terrible but hopefully as his body matures they will become less frequent. Hopefully

That's a big factor. But when a 25 year old has developed no capacity to handle volume across a season expect him to get injured as feature starter and miss games.

If we play 60 games this year you're probably looking for Sturridge's backup to start ~25 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just on this, we lost to Stoke away 3-2 and he missed 2 sitters in the same game when it was 2-1 to Chelsea. :pac:

His clear cut chance conversion rate is higher than I thoguht it would be really, he missed a raft of chances on his debut against Everton too.

He'd be a decent option but I wouldnt be pinning my hopes on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sturridge has played 49 matches for us, out of a possible 62 he would have been eligible for.

He will miss matches, but his injury record for us hasn't been that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

It would be criminal to into the season with our contingency being the hope Sturridge doesn't get injured.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement