Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'd take Eto'o but I get the feeling if we sign him the Borini deal will go through.

So I would still be hoping for another striker to be signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's a big factor. But when a 25 year old has developed no capacity to handle volume across a season expect him to get injured as feature starter and miss games.

If we play 60 games this year you're probably looking for Sturridge's backup to start ~25 games.

You know there is zero basis for that argument, right?
    You could just as easily say "Well he didn't burn out in his younger years, he'll play for another 10 years easy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Borini has scored 7 in 21 for Sunderland including 3 penos and 8 in 49 in total.
    He is now even close to be of an acceptable level for Liverpool, poor passer, not fast enough and very very wasteful. I really hope Sunderland take him off our hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's a big factor. But when a 25 year old has developed no capacity to handle volume across a season expect him to get injured as feature starter and miss games.

If we play 60 games this year you're probably looking for Sturridge's backup to start ~25 games.
    Your in the Health & Fitness section too much now:pac:. But your right Sturridge will have to be rested or else he will get injured & be out for 4-6 weeks with a muscle injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Sturridge has played 49 matches for us, out of a possible 62 he would have been eligible for.

He will miss matches, but his injury record for us hasn't been that bad.

Do you recognise that we'd be in quite a bit of bother if he did get injured?

Mr Alan wrote: »

Hang on, maybe we need to sign another striker so because perhaps Sturridge and Lambert wont be enough to get us through the season ? :eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Maybe I'm being soft but I think Rickie will improve once Lallana returns. They had an excellent understanding and his confidence should improve once he's playing with someone that knows him well.

I think people just have to be patient, he could go through a Crouch level drought but once the first goal comes the weight should be lifted off his shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Morzadec wrote: »
    Etoo is not that better striker we need.

But is he the one we deserve?

tumblr_meybp4G84v1qexqmio1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dickerty wrote: »
    You know there is zero basis for that argument, right?
    You could just as easily say "Well he didn't burn out in his younger years, he'll play for another 10 years easy!"

There's a happy medium - as there is with most things in life.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Your in the Health & Fitness section too much now:pac:. But your right Sturridge will have to be rested or else he will get injured & be out for 4-6 weeks with a muscle injury.

I may be! I think his playing time will need to be managed to some extent. A quality backup is a requirement, as they'll see more playing time than we'd ideally like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Maybe I'm being soft but I think Rickie will improve once Lallana returns. They had an excellent understanding and his confidence should improve once he's playing with someone that knows him well.

I think people just have to be patient, he could go through a Crouch level drought but once the first goal comes the weight should be lifted off his shoulders.

I want to put this as nicely as i can, but honestly he just looks like a big heap of sh1te. Although at least his physicality might prove useful, unlike Aspas who was just a complete non-entity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I really like Lambert fwiw. But he's a different player to Sturridge. With him up top it forces us to amend our style a touch. I think he's a great option to have (and tactical options are always good) but if I'm not sure him starting many games is going to be optimal for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Prem - Sturridge/Lambert with Sterling and Markovic playing off the striker. Eto on bench
    Champs League - Eto with Sterling and Markovic playing off the striker. Sturridge on bench
    League Cup - Lambert/Eto with Sturridge on bench

If Liverpool reaches the knock out stages add another striker (funny thing about January is that there is always a few decent names knocking about as CL or EL teams fail to qualify)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I want to put this as nicely as i can, but honestly he just looks like a big heap of sh1te. Although at least his physicality might prove useful, unlike Aspas who was just a complete non-entity.

Your wrong about lambert he is a very good player his quality will surprise you. You watched him in pre season playing the lone striker which he can't really play, if you play him with Sturridge he will be a fine player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rob316 wrote: »
    Your wrong about lambert he is a very good player his quality will surprise you. You watched him in pre season playing the lone striker which he can't really play, if you play him with Sturridge he will be a fine player.

I think when we play away from home in a more settled formation, he'll work better. He'll benefit from Lallana coming back as well - Cout, S&S and Stevie already understand each other well, almost telepathic. You cannot expect Lambert to do that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Lambert had a fine season with Southampton, so there is no reason to suggest he cannot have a similar season for us despite being underused by us in comparison to them - bad pre season aside. We know he can be effective and can finish - and with our attacking style returning to full tilt, we will be creating proper chances for him soon enough. I think its deeply unfair to judge him on the pre season alone.

That said we do definitely need another striker ... i worry about ETO - not only do i not like the guy but also i wonder how much more we could get from him than Chelsea did last season. Would be interesting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr Alan wrote: »

Yes, and Eto'o is not the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Also why the **** should etoo get 100k a week to be back up when Cou/sterling/Sturbridge who will be starters will be on less money? Bull**** really. I refuse to believe there is not someone on the continent who is better and younger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What's all this Eto'o malarkey??? We're not going to sign him!

Marca have done a pole as to who should be centre half at Barca this season
    Vermaelen took 35% of the votes, with Bartra in second with just shy of 25%, leaving Barcelona regular Gerard Pique third, new signing Jérémy Mathieu fourth, and former Liverpool player Javier Mascherano as fifth choice.

If that means Mascherano is surplus to requirements should we really not be pushing to have him replace lucas in our squad ?
    Marvelous player and would cost very little. His wages are probably not far off Lucas either.
    Just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Surely if Borini goes and Eto'o comes in then there will still be another striker signed?

Wonder if a target has been identified for next year, for example Reus (not saying it's him) and Eto'o is a stopgap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Even if you could guarantee that Sturridge will stay injury free then it would still be crazy to go into the season without a very good back up/alternative! Squad rotation is not just about injury prevention, but also keeping players fresh and what happens if he hits a bad run of form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lads, we're not signing Eto'o, If we wanted him, he would have been signed by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely if Borini goes and Eto'o comes in then there will still be another striker signed?

Wonder if a target has been identified for next year, for example Reus (not saying it's him) and Eto'o is a stopgap.

Origi. Its a stop gap measure until Origi is back from Lille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Lads, we're not signing Eto'o, If we wanted him, he would have been signed by now.

Eto'o has options and wage demands. Not as simple as you're making out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"We would still like to do some business," the boss explained to Liverpoolfc.com following the win at Anfield at the weekend.

"But I'm certainly happy with where we're at with the squad at the moment. We've still got players to come back from injury.

"Across the board we still want to add a little bit more depth to what we have. We hope to do some more business."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That's the same sort of verbal backtracking that we have seen over the past few windows.

Another week and we'll be hearing, 'It'll be difficult to get the right player', etc.

Annoyed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If that means Mascherano is surplus to requirements should we really not be pushing to have him replace lucas in our squad ?
    Marvelous player and would cost very little. His wages are probably not far off Lucas either.
    Just a thought

He's not really supposed to be surplus - apparently moving back into midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Knex. wrote: »
    That's the same sort of verbal backtracking that we have seen over the past few windows.

Another week and we'll be hearing, 'It'll be difficult to get the right player', etc.

Annoyed.

Don't really see the issue here with what he said, he said we are still going to do some business.

He's hardly going to come out and say he's desperate for a striker is he? Just increases the prices we're paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Just a thought

I doubt Masch would want to come back here and play second fiddle to Gerard all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If we sign Eto then we'll triple our number of training ground injuries*

*Based entirely on one tackle by Eto on Henderson last season

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Don't really see the issue here with what he said, he said we are still going to do some business.

He's hardly going to come out and say he's desperate for a striker is he? Just increases the prices we're paying.

To be fair, its looking to be the exact same pattern as before, and patterns repeat.

Starts by being quite adamant as the need of a certain player. You hear this maybe twice.

Then we hear him being less adamant, and more talking up of the current squad. "I like where we are. We don't necessarily need anyone, but I would like another".

This will go to, "We're trying to find the right player, but I'm happy with who we have"

And then we'll eventually be hit with, "We tried to get things done, but it didn't work. However, this will galvanize the players that we have".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Sorry, maybe discussed already but the price City paid for Mangala was massive at £30m when we paid about half that for Sakho and he's ahead of Mangala in the french set up?
    Will be abit odd though if Sakho is on our bench and Mangala starts for City!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

To be fair, its looking to be the exact same pattern as before, and patterns repeat.

Starts by being quite adamant as the need of a certain player. You hear this maybe twice.

Then we hear him being less adamant, and more talking up of the current squad. "I like where we are. We don't necessarily need anyone, but I would like another".

This will go to, "We're trying to find the right player, but I'm happy with who we have"

And then we'll eventually be hit with, "We tried to get things done, but it didn't work. However, this will galvanize the players that we have".

We've done a fair bit of business already this summer, so it's not like we've signed nobody.

I think if us venerable internet users can see where the gaps are, then so can Brendao. (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Just a thought

Going to play midfield a lot more now

5starpool wrote: »
    You love your levels talk. Have you got a diagrammatic representation of these levels with explanations? I'd love to see it.

No but if I get a few hours at work I could get one on the go!

Oh no, doesn't fill me with confidence :(

I think if we enter this season with the squad we currently have, and attempt to actually win every trophy we are in, ultimately we will collapse in the latter half of the season.

Too much reliance on Sturridge, and Coutinho and Sterling are still frighteningly young, so can't be expected to play 50 games at a consistent level. Even more so for Can and Markovic.

I really like Lallana, but who knows how he will adapt to the CL and the demands on being required to win every game. Took Henderson over a season to adapt to the latter, albeit he was a lot younger.

So, while happy with our business, I would be worried if we don't get the right striker in at least. As Lloyd mentioned, I would expect that striker to be required for 25+ games, all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Signing Eto'o will push our average age in squad from 23 to 33. Surely we can find an alternative to a 43 year old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Yup...this is exactly how it will play out imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

There's a wee boy at Chelsea who just needs a bit of love
    Time to kill the fattened calf bring home the prodigal son

• Advertisement

I really like Lallana, but who knows how he will adapt to the CL and the demands on being required to win every game. Took Henderson over a season to adapt, albeit he was a lot younger.

Ah a comparison between Lallana and Henderson isnt really fair
    Lallana is in the team of the season last year, is an england starter (for what its worth) and was the attacking fulcrum of the Southampton team.
    Henderson by comparison had 2 decent seasons with Sunderland and was barely 20 years old. Plus the fee he was bought for almost crippled him (nice work Kenny)
    I think Lallana and Lovern will both be huge players for us. If there had been bought from someone like Sevilla we would all be very excited by them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

There's a wee boy at Chelsea who just needs a bit of love
    Time to kill the fattened calf bring home the prodigal son

Moses?

Sky Italy journalist reporting this
    Samuel Eto'o agent had a meeting with Liverpool this morning. #LFC made an offer: no agreement right now. New meeting is coming on next days

Looks like they are simply agreeing personal terms at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

If we sign Etoo I'm migrating to the Derby County thread.

Independent saying we tried to sign Markovic 4 times, first time for just £2m
    Three times in five years, Liverpool might have signed Lazar Markovic. Three times, they demurred. Damien Comolli worried that the teenager, offered to him for £2 million while he was the club’s technical director, would not be eligible for a work permit. Kenny Dalglish baulked at what he saw as an inflated price. And then Brendan Rodgers declined, mistakenly believing he had already been promised to Chelsea.

Full long article here (requires subscription)
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/liverpool/article4173574.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If we sign Etoo I'm migrating to the Derby County thread.

Ill be a Burnley fan so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Sky Italy journalist reporting this

Looks like they are simply agreeing personal terms at this stage

Id be very surprised if were offering him anything like 100k a week. Supposedly Ajax were talking to him about a 35k a week offer. Although that may have been longer than 1 year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Please tell me Eto'o is a Plan D and we are going after Cavani still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If we're left with Lambert and Eto as cover for Sturridge then we're screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Super-Rush wrote: »
    If we're left with Lambert and Eto as cover for Sturridge then we're screwed.

Mother of christ :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement