Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

In an ideal world Eto'o would be grand as a 4th choice striker for a year until Origi comes back, like Toure was 4th choice CB last year, but if certain deals <cough>Cavani<cough> can't get over the line then he might have to do.

Obviously it's far from ideal, but he has had a year to see what the Prem is all about, he looked lively any time I watched him last year, he has bags of big-game & CL experience, still has an eye for goal and you can't tell me the likes of Sturridge, Raheem and Ibe wouldn't love to play with him and learn from him.

You'd swear he has regressed to Torres level of performance the way some people are talking.

Personally I'd have no problem with the club taking him for a year, but I still want them to sign another striker (i.e. Cavani). If we don't, it'd be foolish to let Borini go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I can only think that Eto is lined up to replace Borini.

And as people say, it would be a 1 year deal to tide things over until Origi arrives next summer.

Still need 1 more striker.

If it was Cavani, then Sturridge, Cavani, Eto and Lambert would be quite good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

In an ideal world Eto'o would be grand as a 4th choice striker for a year until Origi comes back, like Toure was 4th choice CB last year, but if certain deals <cough>Cavani<cough> can't get over the line then he might have to do.

Obviously it's far from ideal, but he has had a year to see what the Prem is all about, he looked lively any time I watched him last year, he has bags of big-game & CL experience, still has an eye for goal and you can't tell me the likes of Sturridge, Raheem and Ibe wouldn't love to play with him and learn from him.

You'd swear he has regressed to Torres level of performance the way some people are talking.

Personally I'd have no problem with the club taking him for a year, but I still want them to sign another striker (i.e. Cavani). If we don't, it'd be foolish to let Borini go.

It's not that, Eto'o still has talent and ability, but he is getting on now, and surely will be a very expensive player who I would see as purely being an option from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Anyone wrote: »
    Signing Eto'o will push our average age in squad from 23 to 33. Surely we can find an alternative to a 43 year old?

If signing Eto pushes the average age of the squad up 10 years then that would mean Eto is 285 years old (based on a squad of 25/26)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Not sure why Etoo couldnt play 25+ games for us this season and chip in with 10+ goals ?
    He is still an excellent player on his day, he was playing in a Chelsea team that played slow ponderous football and loved to cross into the box. That doesnt suit him at all (nor Torres but thats another days work). As I said previously I would be happy to go until January with Sturridge, Lambert, Etoo, Borini to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Super-Rush wrote: »
    If we're left with Lambert and Eto as cover for Sturridge then we're screwed.

Except that we typically play one striker, so...

Is Chelsea lose Costa, they are relying on Torres and Drogba - worse or better?

taidghbaby wrote: »
    If signing Eto pushes the average age of the squad up 10 years then that would mean Eto is 285 years old (based on a squad of 25/26)

He MIGHT have been kidding...

Augmerson wrote: »
    It's not that, Eto'o still has talent and ability, but he is getting on now, and surely will be a very expensive player who I would see as purely being an option from the bench.

But sure your options from the bench are typically younger players you hope can conjure something (Ibe, Suso, Markovic) or experienced sorts (Lambert, Eto'o, Toure). We got rid of a lot of expensive experienced players, so we could afford to carry a couple...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Disappointed we didnt try and get Isla in on loan. Thought he would have been a fantastic signing and suited us down to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kolo Toure to Turkey now in Liverpool Echo so we can take it that its a real deal, also Tom Werner has been offered the job of running the baseball league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Please lord let Eto'o be a backup to someone else.

Kolo Toure to Turkey now in Liverpool Echo so we can take it that its a real deal, also Tom Werner has been offered the job of running the baseball league.

Nice to get some money for him since he was free, probably covered our costs for last year. If Ilori is off to Bordeaux, that still leaves us with 5 CBs, so either Coates or Agger is off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

On side note with Robin Williams dying last night Tom Werner was the man who spotted him in stand up got him the Mork and Mindy gig.

He was also the Producer of The Cosby Show, Roseanne and That 70's show just to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

With Kolo going to Turkey, I'd say that puts an end to us signing Yaya.

I wish him the best. Also I hope someday Kolo signs for Torquay. So you'd have a headline like Kolo Toure playing in Turkey signs for Torquay on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Vicxas wrote: »
    Please lord let Eto'o be a backup to someone else.

Back up to the back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Such a waste of Birthday Cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not sure why Etoo couldnt play 25+ games for us this season and chip in with 10+ goals ?
    He is still an excellent player on his day, he was playing in a Chelsea team that played slow ponderous football and loved to cross into the box. That doesnt suit him at all (nor Torres but thats another days work). As I said previously I would be happy to go until January with Sturridge, Lambert, Etoo, Borini to be honest.

The issue isn't with Eto'o, this issue is if our strike force is Sturridge,Lambert and Eto'o or even Borini aswell for an assault on the PL and CL it lacks quality. It lacked depth last year and now lacks quality.

I have no doubt he can do a job for us and would score more than in a negative Chelsea side, hell even Borini deserves a chance in this squad but to have that trio as back up to the brilliant Daniel Sturridge is criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Dickerty wrote: »
    Except that we typically play one striker, so...

Is Chelsea lose Costa, they are relying on Torres and Drogba - worse or better?

So if Sturridge gets injured then Ricky Lambert starts up front. Nuff said.

Drogba is a great option to have on the bench if anything happens to Costa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sky Italy journalist reporting this

Looks like they are simply agreeing personal terms at this stage

What else is there to agree if he's a free agent?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    So if Sturridge gets injured then Ricky Lambert starts up front. Nuff said.

Drogba is a great option to have on the bench if anything happens to Costa.

Based on last season, isn't Lambert a better option that Drogba? 2 years younger as well?

Given the furore about us looking at Eto'o, imagine if we had gone for Drogba??

8-10 wrote: »

Eto'o's reps met with LFC today. A proposal was made, but there's a distance between the two parties. Everton interested too.

and @DiMarzio also says #LFC and Eto'o reps will chat in 2-3 days time again.

(DiMarzio, Sky Italy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

8-10 wrote: »

He's a mercenary he is keeping his options open for as long as possible. This is the guy who moved to Anzhi and was paid £350k per week.

Average position of everyones first five games in the premiership this season.
    United could easily knock 15 points out of this opening set of fixtures
    Ours and City have a tougher start

ms_starters.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

rob316 wrote: »
    He's a mercenary he is keeping his options open for as long as possible. This is the guy who moved to Anzhi and was paid £350k per week.

He's the reason your gas bill is so high!!!111oneoneone

Based on last season, isn't Lambert a better option that Drogba? 2 years younger as well?

Given the furore about us looking at Eto'o, imagine if we had gone for Drogba??

Why do people think Lambert is older than he actually is?? He's only 32, Drogba is 36, he'll be 37 next March!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Eto'o seems a stopgap measure until Origi comes back, 2 underwhelming moves. Eto'o would be fine as 3rd choice but we already have Lambert. As pointed though Sturridge is more prone to niggly injuries rather than injury plaqued and I don't know if the 2 of them would link up well if played together.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

rob316 wrote: »

Should he have turned it down?

"Oh no, that's MUCH too high a wage..."

• Advertisement

Thinking about the Eto deal it doesn't seem to add up to what Rodgers wants from a players.

He wants to sign players who actually want to play for the club. Eto looks like a player looking for a pay check. It doesn't add up.

I don't see Eto embracing Liverpool the same way Kolo did last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Thinking about the Eto deal it doesn't seem to add up to what Rodgers wants from a players.

He wants to sign players who actually want to play for the club. Eto looks like a player looking for a pay check. It doesn't add up.

I would imagine if he is signed by the manager then he is exactly what the manager is looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I would imagine if he is signed by the manager then he is exactly what the manager is looking for.

Might just be all we can get. Seems we are looking for a 1 yr stop gap, so much is thought of Origi.

Suppose he's better than Torres, but not as good as Sturridge, Falcao, Cavani etc. If he plays 20 games he'll more than likely chip in with 10 goals.

I would be more worried about his atttitude about the place. Seems always to have something to say, and not always positive.

I don't think we're even trying to replace Suarez, we're putting more emphasis on Coutinho and Sterling. Let's see if they step up. It's a gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Every time I look in here I'm expecting to see that we've signed Lacazette. I'm not giving up hope. He's who we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Eto'o's reps met with LFC today. A proposal was made, but there's a distance between the two parties. Everton interested too.

and @DiMarzio also says #LFC and Eto'o reps will chat in 2-3 days time again.

(DiMarzio, Sky Italy)

What about Ajax?? I want him to move to Ajax, would be much better for him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'm perfectly happy with Eto'o for a year before Origi comes in. He'll score at least as many as Lambert IMO.

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I'm perfectly happy with Eto'o for a year before Origi comes in. He'll score at least as many as Lambert IMO.

I would rather a top class striker 5/10 years younger, but we have a front 3 that WILL get us goals, and we have 4/5 players in reserve. I think it's a good short term solution, we can shop again in Jan and/or next summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is there anything to be said for keeping Suso instead of Eto'?

(Unless the rumours of a Sevilla swap are true)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

dogbert27 wrote: »

Don't see Eto giving West Brom an assist. Eto will be motivated if the price is right. Easy for Rodgers to manage him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Should he have turned it down?

"Oh no, that's MUCH too high a wage..."

To play in an incredibly racist country in a club that's based in a warzone who're absolute nobodies anyway?

Yeah.. I'm gonna go with greed as being the main motivator there.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for keeping Suso instead of Eto'?

(Unless the rumours of a Sevilla swap are true)

You are assuming a lot of Suso! Eto'o for all his age and questionable motivation is clearly a better squad option to play in the CL than a 21 year old.

• Advertisement

Suso is an attacking midfielder or a #10
    Etoo is a striker
    They are completely different positions and keeping him has no bearing on Etoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

What channel(s) would the Super Cup be on tonight? Would like to have a look at Moreno!

Gbear wrote: »
    To play in an incredibly racist country in a club that's based in a warzone who're absolute nobodies anyway?

Yeah.. I'm gonna go with greed as being the main motivator there.

Yes, I am sure money went a long way in convincing him.

But what does that have to do with his ability or desire to play for us this year?
    He looked very lively and motivated for Chelsea last season, stood up to Mourinho with his "pensioner" gag. And he's a legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yes, I am sure money went a long way in convincing him.

But what does that have to do with his ability or desire to play for us last year?
    He looked very lively and motivated for Chelsea last season, stood up to Mourinho with his "pensioner" gag. And he's a legend!

I don't really have a problem with him being a mercenary so long he's worth hiring.

But he is a mercenary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

What channel(s) would the Super Cup be on tonight? Would like to have a look at Moreno!

The all new singing and dancing Sky Sports 5!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Reading some of David Silva's statistics in England and comparing them to Coutinho, it really shows the potential he has.

Silva in England (Ages 24-28)

130 games
    21 goals
    39 assists

Goal every 6.19 games
    Assist every 3.3 games
    Goal or assist every 2.16 games

Coutinho in England (Ages 20-22)

46 games
    8 goals
    12 assists

Goal every 5.75 games
    Assist every 3.83 games
    Goal or assist every 2.3 games

Coutinho's stats compare very favourably to the player quite rightly recognised as the best attacking midfield playmaker in the league.

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't really have a problem with him being a mercenary so long he's worth hiring.

But he is a mercenary.

Well for a 33 year old free agent, unless you want to play for your boyhood club (like Lambert), money and the level you will be playing is going to go a long way.

Anyway, last week everyone complained that Cavani and Falcao were unreasonable, now they complain that Eto'o is not good enough. Hard to find a middle ground for our back-up striker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

dr ro wrote: »
    Every time I look in here I'm expecting to see that we've signed Lacazette. I'm not giving up hope. He's who we need.

Forget about it. We're betting on Origi and looking for a 10 to 15 goal stop gap this yr.

It's a gamble. I'd have went for the big name this year and left Origi alone but I think they really rate him and felt at 10m he represented too much value.

Only time will tell. If we miss top 4 this year through lack of goals Rogers will have opened himself up for torrents of criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

RTE2.

Reading some of David Silva's statistics in England and comparing them to Coutinho, it really shows the potential he has.

Silva in England (Ages 24-28)

130 games
    21 goals
    39 assists

Goal every 6.19 games
    Assist every 3.3 games
    Goal or assist every 2.16 games

Coutinho in England (Ages 20-22)

46 games
    8 goals
    12 assists

Goal every 5.75 games
    Assist every 3.83 games
    Goal or assist every 2.3 games

Coutinho's stats compare very favourably to the player quite rightly recognised as the best attacking midfield playmaker in the league.

As I said in the Dortmund game
    It looks like Rodgers has decided that Coutinho is to be to Liverpool what Silva is for City.

Which means he really needs to be played centrally for best effect.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement