Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I'm perfectly happy with Eto'o for a year before Origi comes in. He'll score at least as many as Lambert IMO.

It's hardly a ringing endorsement though. Lambert is fine for 3rd choice, I just don't see the point in signing somebody who'l do similar to him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

K-9 wrote: »
    It's hardly a ringing endorsement though. Lambert is fine for 3rd choice, I just don't see the point in signing somebody who'l do similar to him.

Similar age/profile, but used in completely different ways.
    Options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Can we Revive the Remy Deal?

I'd rather have Who-Failed-a-Medical Remy, than I'm-Old-as-Dirt Eto'o.

Anyone else thinks the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Marca speaks though bing translate (not sure if using google would make transfer more or less likely)
    Curious if Alberto Moreno may live tonight. The footballer of the Cerro del Águila is very close to becoming a Liverpool player but the Seville is very clear that he will play against Real Madrid trying to offer their last services before leaving a good amount of millions. After negotiations at the beginning of summer break following the bid of 20 million more Suso advanced daily MARCA, in recent days they have become to resume and the differences are now minimal. It will be to reach the 20 million although it is possible that in this occasion with variables. Liverpool has seen other players had on the list have fallen and therefore will make a new attempt to bring the sevillista. Before end of week all could be agreed and closed. Want to play that Yes, the player himself has said that he wants to play with the Seville this final and Emery intends to align it on the eleven incumbent. Them will be with the man having more looks tonight, Gareth Bale, so it has a good chance to make Liverpool be decided by him putting money asking the Seville on the table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Did we really think Eto was the answer back when Suarez was sold? Markovic, Lambert, Lallana and Eto the replacements for Suarez. Coutinho really is that good, very under appreciated player because he didn't come with a big price tag. How he never made the WC is a mystery.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 1h
    Liverpool and Everton have both contacted Samuel Eto'o, according to Sky Italy. Liverpool had meeting right this morning with his entourage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did we really think Eto was the answer back when Suarez was sold? Markovic, Lambert, Lallana and Eto the replacements for Suarez. Coutinho really is that good, very under appreciated player because he didn't come with a big price tag. How he never made the WC is a mystery.

As Tim Vickery noted Scolari, like his two predecessors is a "gaucho", from the south. Boring, pragmatic people with no flair.

As Tim Vickery noted Scolari, like his two predecessors is a "gaucho", from the south, boring, pragmatic people, no flair.

I wouldn't say that. Neymar is Pure Flair, and he's in the Team.

Scolari, just have a Hard-on for Chelsea's Brazil Contingent, more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

If you had said to me when Suarez was sold that Eto'o would be looked at as replacing him, I would have said no tbh, maybe as a backup *but*... time is ticking away, Sanchez chose Arsenal London ;) Remy failed a medical, the Falcao/Cavani stuff looks like posturing, and I have renewed confidence in both the new players signed and in the progression of Cout and Sterling that some of Suarez' goals will be accounted for.

I still think we should be getting in another striker but, to me, Eto'o isn't as unattractive a proposition as it might have been a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

If you had said to me when Suarez was sold that Eto'o would be looked at as replacing him, I would have said no tbh, maybe as a backup *but*... time is ticking away, Sanchez chose Arsenal London ;) Remy failed a medical, the Falcao/Cavani stuff looks like posturing, and I have renewed confidence in both the new players signed and in the progression of Cout and Sterling that some of Suarez' goals will be accounted for.

I still think we should be getting in another striker but, to me, Eto'o isn't as unattractive a proposition as it might have been a few months ago.

You pretty much summed up exactly my thoughts on the whole situation.
    Etoo will get us goals, his age is irrelevant as its a free transfer for a 1 year deal. Chelseas backup strikers are a 37 year old drogba and Torres who is probably the worst striker at any of the top 6 clubs. They are most peoples favourite for the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The point is we've just spent ~£10m on a striker who won't be available for another year and we need a stopgap. Loans for Falcao and Cavani were looked into but didn't pan out so we're looking elsewhere for an established striker. Yes there's a drop off between those two and Eto'o but we don't know who else was looked at or who else is currently being considered. A loan for Remy could still be an option for example.

Eto'o got 9 goals and 4 assists* in 21 league games for a frankly rotten Chelsea attack last year, under a manager who didn't rate him and who openly mocked him. He'll do for a year.

Personally, if we're getting in an established player on loan or on a 1-year deal, I'd like to sell Borini as well and take a chance on a different youngster who might get 10-15 games this season. Next season that would give us a player in his prime (Sturridge), an older, decent player coming to the end of his career (Lambert) and two young players in Origi and the young player I mentioned above who would potentially be the future of the club.

*acc. to Wiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

do we really need backup to our backup to our backup? how about we show some ambition and at least bid for a 20+ goal striker?...just a thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What's Clint Dempsey up to these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Can we Revive the Remy Deal?

I'd rather have Who-Failed-a-Medical Remy, than I'm-Old-as-Dirt Eto'o.

Anyone else thinks the same?

The thing is, did he really fail the medical or, as it has been alluded to, did we not want to pay the agents fees?

EDIT: If it's the latter, then it could be a costly mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Super-Rush wrote: »

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 1h
    Liverpool and Everton have both contacted Samuel Eto'o, according to Sky Italy. Liverpool had meeting right this morning with his entourage

His entourage? Sounds like a world famous rapper or something! That would be enough for me....I'm out!

• Advertisement

What's Clint Dempsey up to these days?

That's actually a Good Shout. I'll add in Defoe too.

If we're really going to the Back-up-to-the-Back-up Route, getting both is not such a Bad Idea.

Heck, they'd probably Cost the same Price as 1 Samuel Eto'o.

That's actually a Good Shout. I'll add in Defoe too.

If we're really going to the Back-up-to-the-Back-up Route, getting both is not such a Bad Idea.

Heck, they'd probably Cost the same Price as 1 Samuel Eto'o.

David Villa is doing nothing until March, throw him in the mix too!

David Villa is doing nothing until March, throw him in the mix too!

David Villa's Perfect. Exactly the Kind of Player we need.

But from what I understand, his Club is owned by Man City. And I doubt they'd Loaned him to us. And if they did, it will probably be Costly.

Just for the person that said Defoe, his stats for the last 2 season in the premiership are
    Played 48
    Scored 12

Etoo
    Played 21
    Scored 9

Etoo 8 days a week for me to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Every time I see Coutinho play I'm reminded that there's no way he would have fit in THAT Brazil side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

But from what I understand, his Club is owned by Man City. And I doubt they'd Loaned him to us. And if they did, it will probably be Costly.

What's with the random capitalisation? It really is bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

You pretty much summed up exactly my thoughts on the whole situation.
    Etoo will get us goals, his age is irrelevant as its a free transfer for a 1 year deal. Chelseas backup strikers are a 37 36 year old drogba and Torres Sanogo who is probably the worst striker at any of the top 6 clubs. They are most peoples favourite for the league

Fixed the above for ya. ;)

The other end of the scale we've got a player who got more league goals last year than anyone left in the league with only Sturridge coming close, we'll be grand having 2 sub standard options, makes a change from last years 3 sub standard options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Marca speaks though bing translate (not sure if using google would make transfer more or less likely)

Curious if Alberto Moreno may live tonight.

Well lets hope so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

What's with the random capitalisation? It really is bizarre.

You should put something in your sig Raif, save at least one post a week

He scores 13 in 36, poorer return than Eto'o in a league he knows very well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

skywalker wrote: »
    Well lets hope so anyway.

Short trip from Cardiff to Liverpool :)

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Fixed the above for ya. ;)

The other end of the scale we've got a player who got more league goals last year than anyone left in the league with only Sturridge coming close, we'll be grand having 2 sub standard options, makes a change from last years 3 sub standard options.

IF and i mean IF we start the season with Sturridge, Lambert and Etoo
    Our attack will have scored 43 goals last season (21+13+9)

Chelseas 3 will have scored 42 (27+5+10) Costa/Torres/Drogba

United 3 will have scored 38 (12+17+9) RVP/Rooney/Wellbeck

Arsenal 3 will have scored 43 (16+8+19) Giroud/Podolski/Sanchez

Man City 3 will have scored 42 (17+16+9) Aguero/Dzeko/Negredo

Our 1 striker and 2 "TERRIBLE" backup strikers will have outscored every other team in the leagues strikers except Arsenal. It also remains to be seen if Costa can score 27 goals in that Chelsea team by the way.
    Add in Lallana, Sterling, Gerrard, Coutinho, Markovic who should all contribute at least 40 goals between them then our attack doesnt look too shabby to say the least. We dont need 4 strikers and id argue BR doesnt want 4 strikers as it will be impossible to keep them in form with us only playing 1 up front.

** Edited to include Sanchez

Vicxas wrote: »

Been hearing for months about how Moreno is 'close'. This is the first time it may actually be true, albeit only geographically.

Vicxas wrote: »

The idea being mooted was that he would stay on after the match to complete his medical and paperwork, but the Sevilla president is intent on p***ing all over that idea...

Arsenal 3 will have scored 29 (16+8+5) Giroud/Podolski/Walcott

Only fair to include Sanchez...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

MarkY91 wrote: »
    do we really need backup to our backup to our backup? how about we show some ambition and at least bid for a 20+ goal striker?...just a thought

And who do you have in mind? If Sturridge is fit he starts as the central striker, so a 20+ goal striker who can't play wide will spend a lot of time on the bench!

We need a direct replacement for Sturridge if the worst happens, but if Sturridge stays fit a central striker is a waste, hence why Remy (who can play wide) and Eto'o (who is happy to sit on the bench) are the players we are linked with.

Dickerty wrote: »
    The idea being mooted was that he would stay on after the match to complete his medical and paperwork, but the Sevilla president is intent on p***ing all over that idea...

I mooted the idea of buying a PS4 for €20 but Argos pissed all over it by asking me to pay several times that amount. The bastards.

IF and i mean IF we start the season with Sturridge, Lambert and Etoo
    Our attack will have scored 43 goals last season (21+13+9)

Chelseas 3 will have scored 42 (27+5+10) Costa/Torres/Drogba

United 3 will have scored 38 (12+17+9) RVP/Rooney/Wellbeck

Arsenal 3 will have scored 43 (16+8+19) Giroud/Podolski/Sanchez

Man City 3 will have scored 42 (17+16+9) Aguero/Dzeko/Negredo

Our 1 striker and 2 "TERRIBLE" backup strikers will have outscored every other team in the leagues strikers except Arsenal. It also remains to be seen if Costa can score 27 goals in that Chelsea team by the way.
    Add in Lallana, Sterling, Gerrard, Coutinho, Markovic who should all contribute at least 40 goals between them then our attack doesnt look too shabby to say the least. We dont need 4 strikers and id argue BR doesnt want 4 strikers as it will be impossible to keep them in form with us only playing 1 up front.

** Edited to include Sanchez

Theres no way Costa will get 27 goals, he'll struggle to get more than 20 I reckon.

Anyway, theres a lot of room for movement there, Aguero being injured for large parts drags down his stats, same for Sturridge and RVP and at the moment LFC 3rd choice is Borini.

At the end of the year it will be interesting to see who close those 5 sides are and I'd reckon City and Utds CFs will be ahead of the rest for goals scored combined.

Theres no way Costa will get 27 goals, he'll struggle to get more than 20 I reckon.

Anyway, theres a lot of room for movement there, Aguero being injured for large parts drags down his stats, same for Sturridge and RVP and at the moment LFC 3rd choice is Borini.

At the end of the year it will be interesting to see who close those 5 sides are and I'd reckon City and Utds CFs will be ahead of the rest for goals scored combined.

Thats not really the point of the exercise though, I did it to illustrate that there is nothing wrong with a striking option of Sturridge, Lambert, Etoo if they simply score as many goals as last season. I would actually expect both Sturridge and Etoo to score a lot more than last season if they were play as out and out strikers on their own given the creativity and extra maturity of players like Sterling, Coutinho etc.

Anyway ill let everyone back to "we are going to come 8th if we dont sign Falcao in the next 24 hours"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Dickerty wrote: »
    Well for a 33 year old free agent, unless you want to play for your boyhood club (like Lambert), money and the level you will be playing is going to go a long way.

Anyway, last week everyone complained that Cavani and Falcao were unreasonable, now they complain that Eto'o is not good enough. Hard to find a middle ground for our back-up striker...

The problem is that I don't just want a backup.

That was the beauty of the Remy deal or that of a similarly pacy wide forward - they'd be capable of covering Sturridge but also capable of giving us the option of playing with two up front or of having a more consistent goal threat from one of the wide players in a front 3.

There's been a few players knocking around that would've made sense had we not already signed an older backup in the shape of Lambert.

We lost a lot of goals when Suarez left. At the moment it looks like we're expecting our wide players to really chip in but I'd say it's rare that you can spread the goals around the team that effectively if you want a title challenge. I think you need two very strong goal threats, even if they're not as potent as the Suarez/Sturridge combo.

Maybe such a player really doesn't exist and Eto'o is actually the best option available but I find that hard to believe.

And Origi coming back next season isn't a problem if it was a player like Remy - Sturridge, Origi, Wide Forward, Lambert is perfectly reasonable.
    They are most peoples favourite for the league

They are?
    City probably have the two best first 11s in the league.

Gbear wrote: »
    City probably have the two best first 11s in the league.

If City are that much better than the rest, then why has every bookie made Chelsea the clear favourites for the league ? :confused::confused::confused:
    For what its worth they would be my clear favourites for the league too, should have won it at a canter last season if they had a single striker worth his salt

Thats not really the point of the exercise though, I did it to illustrate that there is nothing wrong with a striking option of Sturridge, Lambert, Etoo if they simply score as many goals as last season. I would actually expect both Sturridge and Etoo to score a lot more than last season if they were play as out and out strikers on their own given the creativity and extra maturity of players like Sterling, Coutinho etc.

Anyway ill let everyone back to "we are going to come 8th if we dont sign Falcao in the next 24 hours"

Sturridge will push 20 goals again.

Ye dont have Eto'o though. :confused:

Given that Sturridge is the main man and theres no need for 2nd CF if Eto'o was signed he'd be only used sparingly at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Given that Sturridge is the main man and theres no need for 2nd CF if Eto'o was signed he'd be only used sparingly at best.

Its to cover when Sturridge inevitably gets injured, we will need another main striker

If City are that much better than the rest, then why has every bookie made Chelsea the clear favourites for the league ? :confused::confused::confused:
    For what its worth they would be my clear favourites for the league too, should have won it at a canter last season if they had a single striker worth his salt

Odds mean nothing, City should be favourites, theyre the champions and theyve added to their squad.

• Advertisement

Its to cover when Sturridge inevitably gets injured, we will need another main striker

Bit like us and Costa so, ye'd be f**ked if Sturridge gets injured.

I've no confidence in Torres and Drogba for 5-10 games, unless its Drogba against Arsenal :D much in the same way I wouldnt be to pleased if Lambert and Eto'o/Borini were my backups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I saw Utd at 9/2 for the league the other day.

Bookies odds mean **** all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Odds mean nothing, City should be favourites, theyre the champions and theyve added to their squad.

I wouldn't say odds mean nothing. They're a good guide, but merely a guide and should be treated as such.
    Odds are just people's opinions. Opinions that they've put money on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

SSN had us as 37% to win the league, closest was City at 22%

How could you argue with public opinion? :P

Ok as I already said the point of me totting up the figures was to show that IF we signed Etoo that our attacking options have pedigree and should at least hold their own vs the rest of the league. Our midfield is arguably the quickest and one of the most creative in the league and will score bags of goals. Our defence was the achilles heel last year and this has been addressed with Lovern, Manquillo, the return of Enrique and hopefully the signing of Moreno.

I for one am very optimistic about this year

Well as a fan of neither chelsea nor city I would strongly disagree.
    Chelsea should have won the league if they had a top bracket striker. They have addressed that problem and also bought Fabregas who is worth 15 goals a season. Then they went and got Courtois who is probably in the top 3 keepers in Europe. Also Felipe Luis at full back. £100m worth of players signed so their squad for me is better than Citys because they dont conceede and have a better manager.
    My 2cents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I suppose we get him in for the year if he passes a medical which I would assume would assess his pace and the other attributes we need. Not like it would be a blind punt as Remy's failed medical has shown.

No issue with that, if he is physically right he's an asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Bit like us and Costa so, ye'd be f**ked if Sturridge gets injured.

I've no confidence in Torres and Drogba for 5-10 games, unless its Drogba against Arsenal :D much in the same way I wouldnt be to pleased if Lambert and Eto'o/Borini were my backups.

Exactly. We ideally need an Alexis sanchez type player. When sturridge is playing, he can fit in some place else in the front line, when sturridge is injured, he can play up top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

It looks to me we will be playing with one up top this year. So are people asking for us to go out and but a £20m+ striker and ask him to sit on the bench? or are they saying Sturridge shouldnt be starting?

What billymitchell said above is the ideal. Who is out there in that role? I don't think Cavani or Falcao can play that role well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Chelsea should be ahead of the betting in the league imo, improved ther squad and Costa will prove to be a fantastic buy for them. Plus we all know how good Fabregas is. FWIW here's how I'd price up the title race

Liverpool 1/4
    Chelsea 2/1
    City 5/2
    Arsenal 8/1
    Utd 8/1

:pac:

kfallon wrote: »
    Chelsea should be ahead of the betting in the league imo, improved ther squad and Costa will prove to be a fantastic buy for them. Plus we all know how good Fabregas is. FWIW here's how I'd price up the title race

Liverpool 1/4
    Chelsea 2/1
    City 5/2
    Arsenal 8/1
    Utd 8/1

:pac:

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement