Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Liked music with rocks in it. Loved Moving pictures and all those elephants.
    Unseen Academicals was a big disappointment. It seemed like it had all the ingredients to be one of my favourite books such as wizards, football and pratchett but it ended up something like Augmersons feeling about ScarJo's tits.

Moving Pictures was the first one I read, thought it was excellent, loved all the references, like 'Gone With The Wind' being called 'Blown Away'! :) I know what you mean about Unseen Academicals, I have found some of his later books to not be quite as good, but that might just be because of high expectations.

Find it hard to get too excited about buying a player we won't see for a year. But at least it sorts out next season's 'like a new signing' quotes already!

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Jaysus that carpet is sore on the eyes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Get the fack out of here pal.

They were just not mean't to be seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

ASOT wrote: »
    Just seen this on facebook and it makes me very happy, i could think of one or two more to stick in also!

"Ibe - 18
    Sterling - 19
    Origi - 19
    Can - 20
    Markovic - 20
    Ilori - 21
    Flanagan - 21
    Coutinho - 22
    Sturridge - 24
    Henderson - 24
    Sakho - 24
    Lovren - 25
    Future is great at Anfield!"

You can add suso wisdom and Mignolet to that list, the majority of our squad is mid 20s or younger. A lot of the older ones are people who are not hugely important members of the squad such as agger Lucas Lambert Johnson. Gerrard and maybe skrtel are the only important members of the squad who are older than I would like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Striker Rickie Lambert, 32, was signed for £4m from Southampton
    Midfielder Adam Lallana, 25, was signed for £25m from Southampton
    Midfielder Emre Can, 20, was signed for £10m from Bayer Leverkusen
    Winger Lazar Markovic, 20, was signed for £20m from Benfica
    Defender Dejan Lovren, 25, was signed for £20m from Southampton
    Striker Divock Origi, 19, was signed for £10m from Lille

Guts of £90M spent on those 6 players with the prospect of maybe 2 more to come (probably a full back and another striker). When you look at what we've spent, and indeed, what other clubs have spent, I don't think any of the top 6 can say they haven't supported their manager. The problem is that there's only 4 spots for 6 clubs. Have to say I am more nervous about this season than last year. The expectation this year is a top 4 finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sign Clyne and Moreno a back up keeper and a striker and I think its a very good window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Guts of £90M spent on those 6 players with the prospect of maybe 2 more to come (probably a full back and another striker). When you look at what we've spent, and indeed, what other clubs have spent, I don't think any of the top 6 can say they haven't supported their manager. The problem is that there's only 4 spots for 6 clubs. Have to say I am more nervous about this season than last year. The expectation this year is a top 4 finish.

Some of those figures can be assumed to be a bit inflated, e.g. Lallana. That said, there's still a substantial outlay there. it will be interesting to see who else will come in given there should still be the Suarez money available and possibly funds from some sales.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Guts of £90M spent on those 6 players with the prospect of maybe 2 more to come (probably a full back and another striker). When you look at what we've spent, and indeed, what other clubs have spent, I don't think any of the top 6 can say they haven't supported their manager. The problem is that there's only 4 spots for 6 clubs. Have to say I am more nervous about this season tha
    n last year. The expectation this year is a top 4 finish.

Anyone else think we are trying to be a little too smart in the transfer market?

Yea quality young players and I've heard them been labelled rough diamonds, and we're hoping they are the next big thing.

But sometimes when you have the money you should just buy the polished/finished item.

Some of these expensive 'rough diamond' signings inevitably won't reach ours (or their) expectations, so it's a bit of a false economy.

MR NINE wrote: »
    You can add suso wisdom and Mignolet to that list, the majority of our squad is mid 20s or younger. A lot of the older ones are people who are not hugely important members of the squad such as agger Lucas Lambert Johnson. Gerrard and maybe skrtel are the only important members of the squad who are older than I would like

Unfortunately, until someone realises how little he actually contributes and buys some quality in his position, we have to assume Johnson is important to the squad.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Anyone else think we are trying to be a little too smart in the transfer market?

Yea quality young players and I've heard them been labelled rough diamonds, and we're hoping they are the next big thing.

But sometimes when you have the money you should just by the polished/finished item.

Some of these expensive 'rough diamond' signings inevitably won't reach ours (or their) expectations, so it's a bit of a false economy.

Yeah, I'd share that worry. I think the ideal is to get a balance, plenty of young potential with some ready quality and experience. It's why I'm still hoping we might pick up a couple of well known players, maybe not full blown marquee signings but players with experience of big games while still being the right side of 30 and a bit hungry (ok, bad turn of phrase after the last guy). Much as I like Lallana the money spent on him could have bought a player in that mould, even if the wages would be a bit steeper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Didn't Lallana cost £16m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

But sometimes when you have the money you should just buy the polished/finished item.

I dunno, I think we have a nice balance between youth and experience. Lallana, lambert and Lovren are all super experienced, and also know each other's games intimately already. I think our current strongest 11 has a lot of experience, with plenty of exciting game changers to introduce over the course of the season. Sort full back and figure out whats going on up front re; Borini and we'll be in good shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Time for some music I think -

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

They have all cost various amounts with nothing confirmed, so people will use a variety of figures. General opinion seems to be that it's up to 25 as far as I can see.

I'd have to wonder though how Bournemouth got a 25% sell on clause for a 12 year old? Is that type of thing standard for kids that age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I don't see too many polished/finished items out there who we could realistically buy.

People have pointed out Griezmann over Markovic, and maybe they have a point. But enough people have talked about Markovic being one of the top 5 talents in Europe for me to think that our scouts simply think he is a better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I've seen this posted a number of times but was unable to find any solid evidence anywhere.

The liverpool echo said the fee was £23m and didn't mention add ons etc and they would be fairly reliable.

5starpool wrote: »

I'd have to wonder though how Bournemouth got a 25% sell on clause for a 12 year old? Is that type of thing standard for kids that age?

Probably find its not even possible now, the FA (UEFA?) has certainly tightened up on the way children are dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Gerrard Interview
    "When BR said he could tailor my LFC games for me, I decided to quit England.
    I don't want to be tailored.
    I want to be available"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

5starpool wrote: »
    They have all cost various amounts with nothing confirmed, so people will use a variety of figures. General opinion seems to be that it's up to 25 as far as I can see.

No 5star it's only if your kids turn out to be professional footballers. Otherwise you get hardly anything if you sell them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Time for some music I think -

Took me a few watches to notice the bite, I was so enthralled by the incredible block made by Bertrand as he fully committed himself to the cause and stopped Gerrard from progressing.

Sign him up, I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

If Pool have spent 90+ million on new signings is this what can be logged in as sales...?

Suarez 70
    Borini 14
    Assadi 7
    Agger 12

103 million...?

So the Champions League money is still there to spend without FSG needing to stump up any of their own cash for more new signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

If Pool have spent 90+ million on new signings is this what can be logged in as sales...

Suarez 70
    Borini 14
    Assadi 7
    Agger 12

103 million...?

Though, of course, we haven't actually sold Borini, Assaidi or Agger.

I can see another 40-50mil being spent, hopefully bringing in two fullbacks and a striker.

There is actually loads in the kitty still, I suppose there is a chance some will be left until January just in case a signing is needed.

The Magpies on twitter seem to think Lacazette is signing for them.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

People don't forget we have a stadium to build.

Can't see us spending everything.

• Advertisement

Jackson Martinez, Nathaniel Clyne, Alberto Moreno & David Marshall.

Sell four or five players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Though, of course, we haven't actually sold Borini, Assaidi or Agger.

Just trying to count chickens and all that.

If those sales do go through it is looking like a good transfer window overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Jackson Martinez, Nathaniel Clyne, Alberto Moreno & David Marshall.

Would bite your hand off for that!

Whadafu? You do know FSG/LFC have a bank loan thingy for capital expenditure I take it? That's been in place for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That'll be financed by completely different means and budgets. Capital v Current etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Didn't FSG say those funds were already fenced off?

In the Indo today Redknapp was saying there's no way Remy could fail a medical. And then there's some people saying the club pulled the plug because Borini won't move.

As much as I'd like to see things come good for Borini, Remy is a step up.

There's a quote on Sky Sports from the Swansea owner saying if a club comes in with a big offer for Bony then then club will listen.

Bite the bullet, offer 20m and get him. I don't want us stuck with Borini as he is good off the bench or Cup games but that's it.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Bite the bullet, offer 20m and get him. I don't want us stuck with Borini as he is good off the bench or Cup games but that's it.

Smells of PANIC BUY!

We know what what happened the last time, and at least that really was an 11th hour and 58th minute deal with fresh capital. Buying Bony before its August at all would be a dereliction of duty.

Smells of PANIC BUY!

We know what what happened the last time, and at least that really was an 11th hour and 58th minute deal with fresh capital. Buying Bony before its August at all would be a dereliction of duty.

Carroll was a panic buy. Bony at least fits the mould and has a season in the EPL under his belt.

I talk to other LFC fans offline who talk about big names we can get but I don't see us landing those names until a 2nd consecutive season of Champs League.

He's no John Barnes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Young one is about to float off the chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Dont know if posted already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Ben Smith ✔
    @BenSmithBBC
    Follow

I get asked the question constantly. But I am told Liverpool, at this stage, are not pursuing a move for Marco Reus

I'd be optimistic going by his recent tweets….
    Ben Smith ✔
    @BenSmithBBC
    Follow

I get asked the question constantly. But I am told Liverpool, at this stage, are not pursuing a move for Adam Lallana
    Ben Smith ✔
    @BenSmithBBC
    Follow

I get asked the question constantly. But I am told Liverpool, at this stage, are not pursuing a move for Lazar Markovic
    Ben Smith ✔
    @BenSmithBBC
    Follow

I get asked the question constantly. But I am told Liverpool, at this stage, are not pursuing a move for Dejan Lovren
    Ben Smith ✔
    @BenSmithBBC
    Follow

I get asked the question constantly. But I am told Liverpool, at this stage, are not pursuing a move for Divock Origi

Damm that signing would have won us the quadruple:P
    Ben Smith ✔
    @BenSmithBBC
    Follow

I get asked the question constantly. But I am told Liverpool, at this stage, are not pursuing a move for Zak Flaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If we are pursuing a move for any star player, (doubt we are, tbh) the one I'd want has to be Lucas Moura from PSG. Think he fits our system perfectly, and just imagine being a defender coming up against the pace of Sturridge, Sterling and Lucas Moura on the counter. Would love if we went all out for him, but PSG have no reason to sell unless they go for Hazard.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    If we are pursuing a move for any star player, (doubt we are, tbh) the one I'd want has to be Lucas Moura from PSG. Think he fits our system perfectly, and just imagine being a defender coming up against the pace of Sturridge, Sterling and Lucas Moura on the counter. Would love if we went all out for him, but PSG have no reason to sell unless they go for Hazard.

Could be in for Di Maria (PSG, not Liverpool)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

tritium wrote: »
    Unfortunately, until someone realises how little he actually contributes and buys some quality in his position, we have to assume Johnson is important to the squad.

Unfortunately youre right, he is still an important member of the squad. However I moreso meant that he was a dispensable member of the squad, though of course a replacement would be required. Ill be disappointed if Johnson is our first choice right back at the start of the season, and it seems almost certain that he will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

sh__93 wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd never heard of the fella before the World Cup but he looked good in the games I seen him play. The fact he started several games ahead of Lukaku shows he must have something about him.

10m is nothing to a PL club these days anyway. Could probably recoup half that even if he had a season sitting on our bench.

Did the club confirm whether he'll be loaned back to France?

It seems the club have been tracking him long before the World Cup. Rodgers rates him highly and he is seen as one of the hot young talents in Europe.
    The fee is £6m but rising to £10m with addons.
    The reason he is being loaned back to Lille was a condition of the transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

MR NINE wrote: »
    Unfortunately youre right, he is still an important member of the squad. However I moreso meant that he was a dispensable member of the squad, though of course a replacement would be required. Ill be disappointed if Johnson is our first choice right back at the start of the season, and it seems almost certain that he will be.

watched carragher criticise the liverpool defensive setup against palace again on youtube today & johnson's contribution really stood out as half assed, also the need for a leader/organiser was critically missing. might have won that game if carragher was on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Just read back there are saw Bonys name knocking about. Please please please don't sign Bony. Watched him a few times last year and he was way out of sync with the team. Very poor movement and awareness. I'd rather Borini than him anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Even 'polished/finished items' come with their own disclaimers. Just because you throw £40m and £250,000 a week at a player does not guarantee it will be a success.

I'm not against signing a marquee player, but only if they're going to show the hunger and will to succeed that everyone else in the team showed last season and hopefully long into the future.

'Just because' does not fly with me basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nice bit on Lazar in that interview. Especially the piece where he gives up his first class seat for the lady bringing him to France for his visa.

Just read back there are saw Bonys name knocking about. Please please please don't sign Bony. Watched him a few times last year and he was way out of sync with the team. Very poor movement and awareness. I'd rather Borini than him anyday.

Borini won't get more than 7 or 8 goals for us and that's being kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

daithijjj wrote: »
    Dont know if posted already.

Enjoyed this thanks. The story about Markovic in first class paints a nice picture, sounds like a humble kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I could see Borini playing a similar role for us as Kuyt did if he stayed. He has some similar attributes in terms of his workrate, attitude and movement. For £14m I'd sell him, but I won't be unhappy if he stays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement