Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well as a fan of neither chelsea nor city I would strongly disagree.
    Chelsea should have won the league if they had a top bracket striker. They have addressed that problem and also bought Fabregas who is worth 15 goals a season.

Don't think Fabregas will get anywhere near 15 goals. Not under Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Exactly. We ideally need an Alexis sanchez type player. When sturridge is playing, he can fit in some place else in the front line, when sturridge is injured, he can play up top

For the Top Bracket, you have Pedro, Benzema and Reus.

A Level below, you have Remy, Lacazette, Abumeyang and Muriel.

I might be forgetting some, but those are the Players I can remember, from the Top of my Head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Don't think Fabregas will get anywhere near 15 goals. Not under Mourinho.

Hes only ever got 15 league goals once in his career. It's more likely he'll be in and around 5-10 league goals.

It looks to me we will be playing with one up top this year. So are people asking for us to go out and but a £20m+ striker and ask him to sit on the bench? or are they saying Sturridge shouldnt be starting?

Sturridge will get injured. That we can be certain of. He missed two months in the middle of last season. He always picks up little niggles here and there that make him miss a game or two.

If this was Suarez who hardly ever got injured I would say you don't need a top striker to understudy him but we need good cover alongside Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It looks to me we will be playing with one up top this year. So are people asking for us to go out and but a £20m+ striker and ask him to sit on the bench? or are they saying Sturridge shouldnt be starting?

What billymitchell said above is the ideal. Who is out there in that role? I don't think Cavani or Falcao can play that role well?

We're only playing with one up top at the moment because we don't have anyone good enough to start with Sturridge.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hes only ever got 15 league goals once in his career. It's more likely he'll be in and around 5-10 league goals.

Hasn't Mourinho said he's probably going to be playing deeper anyway? Given that Hazard and Oscar, etc will be filling the attacking midfield roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hasn't Mourinho said he's probably going to be playing deeper anyway? Given that Hazard and Oscar, etc will be filling the attacking midfield roles.

He said he wouldnt be holding but he would exactly be given attacking license either, he'll probably be more box to box. His exact quote mentioned not being a 6 or 8 more a 7, a go between, between both positions as he can do things like a 6, 8 or 10 depending on what we need.

Also, Jose says a lot of balm pot things. Given that Schurrle, Willian, Oscar came back late from the WC and Ramires is suspended for our opener we could see Cesc start as a number 10 against Burnley.

Tonights friendly will tell a lot as to who will start IMO so anyone looking for some Fantasy Football tips should look at tonights game.

Edit : I also dont think a team like us or you guys need 2 CDM's when playing "weaker" opposition so I think Cesc may line up next to Matic alot this year but be given more license to join the support players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Super-Rush wrote: »
    We're only playing with one up top at the moment because we don't have anyone good enough to start with Sturridge.

I disagree with this, not to say that Rodgers won't play two up but I think he's happy enough with one out and out striker as long as he has three other players buzzing around the front end - did you spot how high up Hendo was during the Dortmund game? Like he played against Spurs. As I said yesterday 4-3-3/4-1-2-3 is probably the most likely setting this season.

Striker plus three from Sterling/Coutinho/Hendo/Lallana/Markovic/Ibe (?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

According to the mother of one of his children, Samuel Eto'o was born in 1974.

Do we really need a 40 year old on 100k a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Fescue wrote: »

if he scores goals, i don't care if he's Roger Milla old....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Sturridge will get injured. That we can be certain of. He missed two months in the middle of last season. He always picks up little niggles here and there that make him miss a game or two.

If this was Suarez who hardly ever got injured I would say you don't need a top striker to understudy him but we need good cover alongside Sturridge.

so we're going to find an top striker who's willing to be a backup?
    Super-Rush wrote: »

I would very much disagree with this. But who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Fescue wrote: »

Nope,

We may have no other options though, it screams "panic buy" by the club to me though if this goes through.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

For the Top Bracket, you have Pedro, Benzema and Reus.

A Level below, you have Remy, Lacazette, Abumeyang and Muriel.

I might be forgetting some, but those are the Players I can remember, from the Top of my Head.

Reus and Pedro are attacking midfielders or can play to the left of a front 3, they are not strikers and could not deputize for Sturridge. People really need to stop including them in strikers we should be targetting. They are as close to being strikers as Sterling is ie not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Reus and Pedro are attacking midfielders or can play to the left of a front 3, they are not strikers and could not deputize for Sturridge. People really need to stop including them in strikers we should be targetting. They are as close to being strikers as Sterling is ie not at all.

Sterling could be pretty close to playing as a striker in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Fieldog wrote: »
    Nope,

We may have no other options though, it screams "panic buy" by the club to me though if this goes through.... :(

I wouldn't have said it was any more of a panic buy than Chelsea bringing back Drogba but that was seen as a good move.

As a short-term (1 season) back-up option I'm not sure there are many better options.

My main concern would be what he's like around the dressing room. Kolo and Lambert strike me as good for morale / hard workers. If he isn't then it may upset people to see him being lazy and probably getting paid well.

Preference would still be to sign a more permanent option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

My guess with Eto'o is they want an experienced striker while they wait for Reus, Cavani or another top name striker becomes available this may not be in this transfer window they may have to wait till January or next summer for them to become available.

Eto'o will more than likely take over Toure's place in the squad as the experienced player to help the younger players and also be on the same kind of wages that Toure was on now that Toure is leaving.

He is a stop gap.

Chelsea used him as one last season while waiting for Costa to become available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Sterling could be pretty close to playing as a striker in the future.

But he can't replace Sturridge in our system - which is what the issue is.

Wonder if there's a chance of loaning Remy or something...minimize the risk factor.

****it, anything even to be said for a cheeky cut price deal or loan offer for Mitroglou? Obviously rubbish at Fulham, but at the same time he was injured when he arrived, and they're, well, rubbish. I'm sure they won't want to shoulder his wages in the championship.

Not as pacey as i'd like, but if we're dropping to thinking of Eto'o as our number 2, i'd rather Mitroglou. Terrific finisher, good movement, good technically with the ball at his feet, and can pick out a through ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Martin Kelly on the way to Crystal Palace apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Kelly's gone to Crystal Palace for £1.5M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Zaha looks set to be going to Palace too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The best thing for Kelly's career to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Pedro and Reus have both Deputized as a Striker, for their Respective Clubs, while their main one was out Injured (Messi, Lewandowski).

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Martin Kelly on the way to Crystal Palace apparently.
    Kelly's gone to Crystal Palace for £1.5M
    The best thing for Kelly's career to be honest.

I predicted this about two years ago I think! (not Palace though, I reckoned Championship was his level - hang on Palace were championship two years ago!) Its been clear as day for a long while that he wasn't going to make it, and not because of his injury record. Getting a few bob counts as a success I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great move for Kelly, really wish him the best of luck, he will be gutted he didn't make it at Liverpool but it was only injuries that stopped him, he has plenty of talent to succeed still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fieldog wrote: »
    Nope,

I hear we've been scouting him since he was 15. Around the time we beat Roma on penalties to win the European Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

rob316 wrote: »
    Great move for Kelly, really wish him the best of luck, he will be gutted he didn't make it at Liverpool but it was only injuries that stopped him, he has plenty of talent to succeed still.

Agreed, he's not looked the same since his injury but I do think that if he gets into the team and played a full season he could re-discover his form and be a really good player for them.

He just wouldn't have gotten that chance a LFC so best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

I predicted this about two years ago I think! (not Palace though, I reckoned Championship was his level - hang on Palace were championship two years ago!) Its been clear as day for a long while that he wasn't going to make it, and not because of his injury record. Getting a few bob counts as a success I'd say.

Arnie says...

Injuries have destroyed his career up till now, I would rate him mid table premiership level if he could sort his injuries and get a sustained run in the palace side. Many a time he has impressed for us, so to say championship is his level is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Be interesting to see where he plays at palace. I think he would be more of a CB than a full back, his feet and pace aren't up to premiership full back standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm really hoping there is absolutely no truth in these Eto'o rumours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

wgwtl wgwtl

we're gunna win the league

anygbu anygbu

and now you're gunna believe us

wgwtl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

So its just coincidence that with Suarez gone, Sturridge ploughs a lone furrow up front?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Moreno to be pulled out of the game tonight, bid accepted.

According to Tony Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 3m Liverpool have agreed a fee with Sevilla for Alberto Moreno who is now expected to be pulled out of tonight's Super Cup game in Cardiff

So much for the theory that Sevilla really wanted him to have the Super Cup as a send off if this is true.
    Its also suppose to bid for just 12m http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/498555/Liverpool-AGREE-12m-deal-for-Sevilla-defender-Alberto-Moreno. Would be an excellent piece of business for that money.

Moreno to be pulled out of the game tonight, bid accepted.

According to Tony Barrett

Finally!

Get that non Eto'o striker in now and it will have been an excellent window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

And for 12m POUNDS. If that's true, Ayre needs a new Harley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fair play to Ayre!

Surely this could signal the end of Johnson?

And for 12m POUNDS. If that's true, Ayre needs a new Harley.

why the capital pounds? 12 million pounds is more expensive than 12 million of almost any other currency...

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    why the capital pounds? 12 million pounds is more expensive than 12 million of almost any other currency...

For some reason my phone doesn't have a pound symbol anymore, it used to, I need to look into that. And the POUNDS was accidental, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Shaw for 27m looks even more ridiculous now. 12m is a great deal.

He's not even on the bench for sevilla, deal done at last.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

While I'm glad we are looking to upgrade in positions where we were weak last season at times, the more new players, the more likely we are to be disjointed as often as fluid, which makes me worry for our prospects in a way.

I'm still really looking forward to things and seeing how it all gels together though. If we can get in a decent striker (not sure who'd satisfy me from the likely possibles though) then it will have been a good window I think, concerns about integrating too many people notwithstanding.

Did anyone doubt this transfer? Clearly Moreno was just using the flight to Cardiff to hitch a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I'd love us to get Real Madrid in the CL this year!

What an attacking game that would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Did anyone doubt this transfer? Clearly Moreno was just using the flight to Cardiff to hitch a lift.

Pearce from the echo now confirming the Moreno deal. Subject to a medical.

Spanish source on Twitter saying it's a 5 year deal

still wracking my brains for other potentially suitable forwards...how about Seydou Doumbia? Goal machine in Russia and lightning quick...
    Has had some injuries over the past few years, might be able to get him at a decent price, and as a backup, won't be too heavily relied upon so his fitness could be properly managed.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    still wracking my brains for other potentially suitable forwards...how about Seydou Doumbia? Goal machine in Russia and lightning quick...

This is why I refuse to give out about us not signing someone, I've been thinking about it for weeks now and am finding it very hard to come up with someone realistic.

• Advertisement

I'd buy Carlos Vela - unhip choice but he has been banging them in for Real Sociedad - trouble is he has just renewed his deal with the club

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement