Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Bordeaux.

As for Toure, smacks of having a handy gig to be honest. Hope he doesn't actually play much.
    There has been talk s of Bordeaux, but Cardiff now getting in the mix because they are losing someone....Medel maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think that would work better than Bordeaux. He could spend time with his LFC pals when he's free, able to improve his English and how the game is played there.

I happen to think there is a holding CM in him, has the pace, passing and comfort on the ball to do itt. Maybe next year, we can have him and Can in front of Lovren and Sakho, that would be quite a wall to get through...

He speaks the Queens English. English mother born in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

amber69 wrote: »
    He speaks the Queens English. English mother born in London.

I meant Scouse English, la...

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There has been talk s of Bordeaux, but Cardiff now getting in the mix because they are losing someone....Medel maybe.

Medel is already gone, is he not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Long fits into our squad and style of play.

He would fit in perfectly up front in my opinion.

He's an honest hard worker who can score goals, look at him with the international team and previous clubs. He's always stood out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Long fits into our squad and style of play.

He would fit in perfectly up front in my opinion.

He's an honest hard worker who can score goals, look at him with the international team and previous clubs. He's always stood out to me.

Yup.

If we haven't gotten Lambert, Long would definitely have been a Good 3rd/4th-Choice Striker for us.

slingerz wrote: »
    Mignolet - Jones (Need a better first choice IMO not to mention backup
    Manquillo - Johnson
    Moreno - Enrique - Flanagan
    Lovren - Sakho - Skrtel - Agger - Toure - Coates - Ilori (need to offload a few)
    Gerrard - Hendo - Can - Allen - Lucas (possibly OK but i'd like to upgrade Lucas)
    Lallana -Coutinho - Sterling - Markovic - Ibe
    Sturridge - Lambert - Borini

It's a very good squad, it missing some proven star quality. We expect a lot of Cout, Sterling, Markovic and Can, but these are all 20/21 year old guys. Most guys their age are still in college!

We can also supplement this with some guys from the youth teams, although I hope to see many of them out on loan

Lloyd Jones
    McLoughlin
    Rossiter
    Trickett Smith
    Brannagan
    Teixeira (badly needs a loan)
    Dunn
    Lussey

(Paez & Brad Smith already out)

Their places in the reserves can be taken by the likes of Jordan Williams, Kent, Chivirella, Canos, Phillips, Wilson and Ojo coming up from the Academy, and the new arrivals from Spurs...

Remember when we were in Oz last summer, and they were talking about how our scouts had identified a kid playing locally that we had looked at while we were there? I always wondered what came of that...

Well - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-youngster-jake-brimmer-16-signs-threeyeardeal-with-english-premier-league-giants-liverpool/story-fnii0fc4-1226912371524?nk=3413d8f6dde8daf86231e098e4611e41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It's a very good squad, it missing some proven star quality. We expect a lot of Cout, Sterling, Markovic and Can, but these are all 20/21 year old guys. Most guys their age are still in college!

That's what I've been saying. It's a good squad buy sorely missing a star player. I'm over the moon at the development of Sterling, Coutiniho etc. But if we rely on them for the season it will come back to haunt us. We need a genuine Suarez replacement. Not Eto'o or any of the other recent links. Someone top quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Does anyone know what the actual numbers were for the Suarez sale? (I might not be looking in the right place in my online search)

British papers say £75mil.

Spanish papers say £64mil.

If I remember correctly, Liverpool didn't release the figure themselves.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    That's what I've been saying. It's a good squad buy sorely missing a star player. I'm over the moon at the development of Sterling, Coutiniho etc. But if we rely on them for the season it will come back to haunt us. We need a genuine Suarez replacement. Not Eto'o or any of the other recent links. Someone top quality.

Reus? What about him? Has he been mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Remember when we were in Oz last summer, and they were talking about how our scouts had identified a kid playing locally that we had looked at while we were there? I always wondered what came of that...

Well - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-youngster-jake-brimmer-16-signs-threeyeardeal-with-english-premier-league-giants-liverpool/story-fnii0fc4-1226912371524?nk=3413d8f6dde8daf86231e098e4611e41

Ah jaysus, just when we started to have some good hair at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Yup.

If we haven't gotten Lambert, Long would definitely have been a Good 3rd/4th-Choice Striker for us.

Not for £12m though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

djPSB wrote: »
    Not for £12m though.

Long is far below the standard required. 96 games, 23 goals at his last two clubs in what should have been the peak of his career (2011 to today) is not good enough for a Liverpool back up. Take off the green specs. Is Lambert betteer? Yes.

I am pie wrote: »
    Long is far below the standard required. 96 games, 23 goals at his last two clubs in what should have been the peak of his career (2011 to today) is not good enough for a Liverpool back up. Take off the green specs. Is Lambert betteer? Yes.

Hull and Ireland don't have the assistants that Liverpool have.

People look at stats rather than a player and it makes them look foolish.

Lambert is not a better player, that has been proven time and time again.

I've all the MOTD recordings from last season if you want a loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

But whats the main job as a Striker? To score goals. Lambert outscored long in every season they have played. He got 6 more last season.

He might not be a better player than long with his all around game but he is 100% the better striker out of the pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Long is a poor enough striker in terms of his return. Plenty of other players who have scored goals outside of big teams.

Thankfully we'll not have to worry about seeing Long playing for Liverpool. Hard worker with a bit of pace, nowhere near the level required in terms of skill or finishing ability.

motd videos! :pac:

ASOT wrote: »
    But whats the main job as a Striker? To score goals. Lambert outscored long in every season they have played. He got 6 more last season.

He might not be a better player than long with his all around game but he is 100% the better striker out of the pair.

How many times lads?

Southampton had a much stronger team than Hull.

More chances means more goals, give Long the chances we created last year he'd have 20-25 goals last season if not more.

I am pie wrote: »
    Long is a poor enough striker in terms of his return. Plenty of other players who have scored goals outside of big teams.

Thankfully we'll not have to worry about seeing Long playing for Liverpool. Hard worker with a bit of pace, nowhere near the level required in terms of skill or finishing ability.

motd videos! :pac:

MOTD is a better source than wiki :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I think we have longs little brother on boards.

How many times lads?

More chances means more goals, give Long the chances we created last year he'd have 20-25 goals last season if not more.

Fair enough you can say that but hes only scored over 9 goals in a season once? Lamberts done it 9 times. I agree Long probally has a lot more to his game but theres no way hes a better striker. Sure look at his conversion rate even its alot poorer than rickies and that cant be down to his team mates not being as good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

How many times lads?

That's very simplistic, if Andy Carroll played for Barcelona would he score 40+ goals a season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm sorry but what metric has been used 'over and over' again to prove Long is a better player? If you're not using the traditional statistics model which makes people look foolish, that is.

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what metric has been used 'over and over' again to prove Long is a better player? If you're not using the traditional statistics model which makes people look foolish, that is.

Hansen & Shearer said hes better on match of the day so its gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Scudamore has said that Suarez 'hurt the Premier League's image'.

i don't think i've heard anyone at the FA say that about Joey Barton, Ben Thatcher, etc etc.

i find it incredible that they seem happy to have the pure box-office that was Luis Suarez out of England.

astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hansen & Shearer said hes better on match of the day so its gospel.
    Well that's the solid proof I was looking for then, thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

with all the talk of long here and across the web its nailed on he scores the winner on sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

SlickRic wrote: »
    Scudamore has said that Suarez 'hurt the Premier League's image'.

i don't think i've heard anyone at the FA say that about Joey Barton, Ben Thatcher, etc etc.

i find it incredible that they seem happy to have the pure box-office that was Luis Suarez out of England.

astounding.
    Clown of a man. Don't know how u can say the PL is the best league either. Not many true World Class players left in the league. Only 4 of the 23 Ballon Do'r Nominees are in the PL.

Wow, you guys really don't know what your even replying to.

Before you quote something and reply read what it actually says.

Long is a better player than Lambert.

Lambert was probably much better value for what we paid for him, granted.

My original point is that Long is a better player and would fit into our squad and style of play, nobody has actually disputed this but went on about how many goals he's scored and bla bla bla

People like this give our supporters a bad name. "Our Year" supporters who don't bother going to a match only once every 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

My original point is that Long is a better player and would fit into our squad and style of play, nobody has actually disputed this but went on about how many goals he's scored and bla bla bla

People like this give our supporters a bad name. "Our Year" supporters who don't bother going to a match only once every 5 years.

Thanks for the pontificating post, but just with regards to the bolded part; Since when, and according to what committee?

Long has to be one of the most overrated players of the last 5 years. People still talk about him like he's a young lad who is going to improve, as well, when the reality is that he is 27.

He is fast, industrious, and can every now and again put in a performance that makes you go, "wow". He is an above average forward, but little more than that, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

Large popcorn please....

As a striker your suppose to score goals how can you not grasp this. Lambert scores goals, Long very rarely scores goals. Its quite simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

That's very simplistic, if Andy Carroll played for Barcelona would he score 40+ goals a season?

No. There is only one person who scores 40+ at Barca and he creates most of them himself.

It Long averages 7/8 goals a season with a team like West Brom scoring 15/16 at LFC or Barca is not an unrealistic shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

We got a live one here :)

Defo under the bridge now!!!

T-K-O wrote: »
    No. There is only one person who scores 40+ at Barca and he creates most of them himself.

It Long averages 7/8 goals a season with a team like West Brom scoring 15/16 at LFC or Barca is not an unrealistic shout.

It is when his conversion rate is so low.

It is when his conversion rate is so low.

And the fact that there is no way you could justify him starting the same amount of games, either.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Defo under the bridge now!!!
    We got a live one here :)
    ratracer wrote: »
    Large popcorn please....

Can't believe it didn't take that long to prove my point.

Very funny lads, great football knowledge from you lot :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

T-K-O wrote: »

If he played every game yeah maybe he would, but the amount of chances he would miss would see him dropped fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

To all those talking madness about Shane Long being a good backup striker when Etoo, the same Etoo who has 30 champions league goals !!!!!!!! is not considering good enough then can I please have some of what ye are smoking ???

Shane Long is a journey man, 6 years older than Borini, slower and about as proficient. Borini is considered not good enough so how on earth is Long??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

To all those talking madness about Shane Long being a good backup striker when Etoo, the same Etoo who has 30 champions league goals !!!!!!!! is not considering good enough then can I please have some of what ye are smoking ???

Shane Long is a journey man, 6 years older than Borini, slower and about as proficient. Borini is considered not good enough so how on earth is Long??

Go back to the past thread and you'll see what I have been saying about Borini, got slated for that too by the "Yes men" :rolleyes:

Can't believe it didn't take that long to prove my point.

Very funny lads, great football knowledge from you lot :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware that we had received a football philosopher, a gift called down from Brendao himself, in order to enlighten us peasants.

However, what exact football related knowledge have you displayed?

Knex. wrote: »
    And the fact that there is no way you could justify him starting the same amount of games, either.

Dont worry we can start him in the cup, he might not score and we might lose but atleast he done all the running. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

+1

Shane Long is certainly not worth 15m, or anywhere near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Long a Liverpool player? The Hodgson days are over fella.

Lambert scored 13 goals and got 10 assists last season, there is no comparison, Long could only dream of reaching that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

ebbsy wrote: »
    +1

Shane Long is certainly not worth 15m, or anywhere near it.

I believe a football player, much like most other things in this life, is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for it/him. There was a time Coutinho was 'worth' a mere 8.5million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Shane Long....Take off the green tinted spectacles lads.

Knex. wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that we had received a football philosopher, a gift called down from Brendao himself, in order to enlighten us peasants.

However, what exact football related knowledge have you displayed?

Football Knowledge can be merely naming a player. Neither of the above posts that I have quoted done so.

This is beyond pointless. Liverpool FC is a football club, we are in a forum to speak about this football club, not speak about popcorn or bridges

• Advertisement

mormank wrote: »
    I believe a football player, much like most other things in this life, is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for it/him. There was a time Coutinho was 'worth' a mere 8.5million.

Ah there's no way that you think Carroll was worth 35m at any stage. If im willing to pay 200quid for a night of romance and dancing with you there's no guarantee you're worth that.. Tho you might be.. Any plans for the weekend?!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement