Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Thud

I reckon Robbie Keane could do a job for us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then Rafa v Rodgers, which managers best side would you sooner watch?

Net spend?

Should Dalglish got another season?

Is Torres worth another go?

Was Hodgson unlucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Football Knowledge can be merely naming a player. Neither of the above posts that I have quoted done so.

This is beyond pointless. Liverpool FC is a football club, we are in a forum to speak about this football club, not speak about popcorn or bridges

I'd agree. But you came in here on your high horse, with your derisory posts, calling out all of our apparent ignorance, both in relation to football, and also our ability to read and post.

What did you expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Torres worth another go?

If we could get him on a free I'd take a chance on him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Ah there's no way that you think Carroll was worth 35m at any stage. If im willing to pay 200quid for a night of romance and dancing with you there's no guarantee you're worth that.. Tho you might be.. Any plans for the weekend?!?

No not at any stage did I think Andy was worth 35million which further proves my point because somebody payed that much for him. Therefore whatever you may have thought he was worth was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

This is beyond pointless. Liverpool FC is a football club, we are in a forum to speak about this football club,

And Pandas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd agree. But you came in here on your high horse, with your derisory posts, calling out all of our apparent ignorance, both in relation to football, and also our ability to read and post.

What did you expect?

Really?

I've been posting here for awhile now, I've never came in on my high horse.

Look at my first post in relation to this?
    Hate saying it but really would not have minded Shane Long for 12 million

When people get red headed behind their keyboard and start posting nonsense replies of course you'll pick up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

To all those talking madness about Shane Long being a good backup striker when Etoo, the same Etoo who has 30 champions league goals !!!!!!!! is not considering good enough then can I please have some of what ye are smoking ???

Shane Long is a journey man, 6 years older than Borini, slower and about as proficient. Borini is considered not good enough so how on earth is Long??

You are having a laugh right? Shane Long? Slow? :P

Perhaps the reason you are underpaid is because you aren't doing your research.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Kirby wrote: »
    You are having a laugh right? Shane Long? Slow? :P

Perhaps the reason you are underpaid is because you aren't doing your research.....

89 pace on fifa, him and aluko were immense when i picked hull alone :pac:

Everyone needs to relax.

10389287_908451569171742_9106357583297066078_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I would rather have Long in the squad than Lambert. Though I dont want us to sign Long. I dont think either is good enough to be anything more than a third choice striker and I certainly wouldnt want both in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Ah jaysus, just when we started to have some good hair at the club.
    Should send him on loan to Barnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

mormank wrote: »
    No not at any stage did I think Andy was worth 35million which further proves my point because somebody payed that much for him. Therefore whatever you may have thought he was worth was wrong.

That doesn't prove that I was wrong. It was proven that the club were wrong to sanction the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Shane bloody Long?

It will be Kevin Doyle next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Wow, you guys really don't know what your even replying to.

Before you quote something and reply read what it actually says.

Long is a better player than Lambert.

Lambert was probably much better value for what we paid for him, granted.

My original point is that Long is a better player and would fit into our squad and style of play, nobody has actually disputed this but went on about how many goals he's scored and bla bla bla

People like this give our supporters a bad name. "Our Year" supporters who don't bother going to a match only once every 5 years.

TBQH I'm still waiting for the solid 'proof' that Long has been better than Lambert 'over and over again'

What are you basing this on other than your own opinion?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I still think that Shane Long in a better team will get more goals. The chap spends most games chasing absolutely everything and having to make his own chances.
    You could see at Hull last year when Jovetic (sp?) was playing along side him, he was a bit more prolific, heck, even jammed in a few assists.

Southampton is the perfect move for him, step up in quality and less chasing the ball into the corner flag.

I would have said yes for LFC a couple of years ago, but now I think we a rotating starting forward, we need to aim a little higher.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I still think that Shane Long in a better team will get more goals. The chap spends most games chasing absolutely everything and having to make his own chances.
    You could see at Hull last year when Jovetic (sp?) was playing along side him, he was a bit more prolific, heck, even jammed in a few assists.

Southampton is the perfect move for him, step up in quality and less chasing the ball into the corner flag.

I would have said yes for LFC a couple of years ago, but now I think we a rotating starting forward, we need to aim a little higher.

Id agree if his conversion rate isnt so poor, the amount of chances he does get and he misses them is on victor mosses playing for wigan level! Hes a really nice bloke im met him a few times but he just doesnt score enough goals because his finishing is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

ASOT wrote: »
    It is when his conversion rate is so low.

Cancelled out by chances created, OK nobody wants Shane Long that's fine but to say he wouldn't get into double figures is disingenuous.

Jovetic is the city lad. Jelavic is who you mean. :)

And I agree with your sentiments. Long would score more if he wasn't always chasing scraps.

If Long wasn't Irish, nobody here would want a striker with his kind of record and that's a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I do hope we can do better than suggesting Long or Borini as a second striker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

If he played every game yeah maybe he would, but the amount of chances he would miss would see him dropped fairly quickly

He was suggested at as a backup. Playing second fiddle at the clubs mentioned would still provide him with more opportunities. Anyway it's a moot point

If Long wasn't Irish, nobody here would want a striker with his kind of record and that's a fact.

I disagree. He is very well respected by most pundits in England. Not that I would consider their opinion of merit, but it's not like they think he's good out of a sense of patriotism.

I disagree. He is very well respected by most pundits in England. Not that I would consider their opinion of merit, but it's not like they think he's good out of a sense of patriotism.

It's the only reason I can see behind wanting him at Liverpool, his goal scoring record in the premier league is pathetic.

Just a quick comparison but the stats speak for themselves.

0a9bc6ffd2772a61c12f64a50fcd7a07.png

I still stand to it that I wouldn't mind having Long in the squad.

If I had the chocie of picking a striker for the future though I would certainly be looking at that Keita Baldé youngster for Lazio.

He was highly rated when at the youths in Barca until he put an ice cube in one of the players beds and was sent away and refused to come back. I reckon he'll be a star in years to come..... never know, he might be better than Long?

Minutes player matters, does it not?

And he spent a bit of time at WBA being played out wide. Lambert played for a better team and always through the middle.

Minutes player matters, does it not?

And he spent a bit of time at WBA being played out wide. Lambert played for a better team and always through the middle.

The majority of his stats are 50% less the Lamberts, while rickie played more games he didnt play 50% more than Long.

Edit- either way i only done it for a bit of chatter, at the end of the day we realistically wernt going to sign Long so it doesnt matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I just remembered Shane Long signed for Southampton. :)

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Just a quick comparison but the stats speak for themselves.

0a9bc6ffd2772a61c12f64a50fcd7a07.png

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

You were just blasting about his finishing being poor, shot accuracy seems to be the stat that matters in peoples minds with finishing.

I just remembered Shane Long signed for Southampton. :)

Proper laughed reading that. Point taken :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

In fairness Long scores 1 every 7.4 shots he takes compared to Lambert 1 in 7.9, so you could argue that given better chances Long could score more than him, and he was played out of position a lot too

We'll see how it pans out but I think at the moment Lambert for 3 million is better than Long for 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Someone on twitter has just pointed out that only 4 games have seen both Sturridge and Coutinho complete 90 minutes.

(https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed)

You were just blasting about his finishing being poor, shot accuracy seems to be the stat that matters in peoples minds with finishing.

Take Longs 41% and 57% for last season, gives you 49%. That is, if I'm not mistaken, lower than 51%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Shane Long? No, just no.

• Advertisement

Sure its all well and good hitting the target, but if your not hitting the back of the net then whats the point? Conversion rate i was going on about ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I posted the below a couple of weeks back & was told to stop posting twitter rubbish.

Twitters just a medium to convey information. Its all about who your following on it. This might well be a lucky guess, but Mike Bernard is looking a little less spoofy this morning.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=91531141
    skywalker wrote: »
    I thought I recognised that mikebernard name from somewhere. He posted this on 23rd July, interesting to see if it comes to pass.

https://twitter.com/mikebernard_fsg/status/492064772171763712
    Alberto Moreno will join LFC on Wednesday 13 August following the European Super Cup Final against Real Madrid in Cardiff on 12 August (2/4)

In fairness Long scores 1 every 7.4 shots he takes compared to Lambert 1 in 7.9, so you could argue that given better chances Long could score more than him, and he was played out of position a lot too

We'll see how it pans out but I think at the moment Lambert for 3 million is better than Long for 12

Lambert takes free kicks, that will make his goals to shots ratio lower.

Lambert takes free kicks, that will make his goals to shots ratio lower.

He also took penalties....which would make it higher. :D

I'd imagine Southamptons fans would go ballistic if we signed Long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Reading's Shane Long could have suited Liverpool, back then. We've come too far now.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine Southamptons fans would go ballistic if we signed Long

We'll probably sign him next summer, anyhow.

skywalker wrote: »
    I posted the below a couple of weeks back & was told to stop posting twitter rubbish.

Twitters just a medium to convey information. Its all about who your following on it. This might well be a lucky guess, but Mike Bernard is looking a little less spoofy this morning.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=91531141

Most outlets had the same story. The truth is that no deal was in place that allowed him to play that game as was widely reported. It would have been very odd to allow a multi-million pound deal to be put at risk so close to the start of the season. In all likelihood the media outlets (and then your buddy Mike) jumped to conclusions about it because they had been saying for months that he was about to join and the Super Cup offered an explanation for it not happening when they had said it would.

Another explanation is that Sevilla had threatened to play him in the Super Cup to hasten Liverpool's bid. The lateness of the deal breaking suggests this may have been the case, but the low reported cost of the deal suggests they got no real advantage from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

It is clear that there was no deal agreed until yesterday when Ayre finalised the fee in Cardiff. The news only broke a few hours before kick-off. So all the reports that said it was agreed were blatently wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dickerty wrote: »
    It is clear that there was no deal agreed until yesterday when Ayre finalised the fee in Cardiff. The news only broke a few hours before kick-off. So all the reports that said it was agreed were blatently wrong...

Ayre swooped down in the Harley. Who could say no to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Dickerty wrote: »

I think personal tems might have been agreed a little while back. There must have been some truth in the story as it seemed to have something to do with him being at that match last night to say goodbye to the fans.

Maybe it was like a deadline for the clubs to decide.

Fair play to LFC for playing hard ball and keeping the price down. I think he could be an excellent signing for quite a while. Will add alot more balance and competition for places at the very least.

Feel a bit sorry for Sevilla fans. They're hard up, one of their best players is linked with a move all summer, and they find out an hour before a cup final (of sorts) against Real Madrid that he's being sold.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Feel a bit sorry for Sevilla fans. They're hard up, one of their best players is linked with a move all summer, and they find out an hour before a cup final (of sorts) against Real Madrid that he's being sold.

A bit like us losing Torres on the last day of the window...

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ayre swooped down in the Harley. Who could say no to that.

"The Leader of the Pack - Vroom Vroom..."

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Squad coming along nicely!

Bu7HmMVCEAE42mO.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement