Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Murder

Options
  • 28-07-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

Picked this up with "Games with Gold" on the 360 a few weeks ago. Me and 2 friends had a go at it from the start with 3 player local co-op and a couple of beers on Saturday night.

I have to say it was some of the most fun any of us have had with a game in a long time. It's not really designed for single player, but get some friends around and it is some serious fun, so many easter eggs (Dracula throwing his wine glass on the floor, ability to buy Dust/Mithradins hat from an Elysium Tale etc).

It's very hard to explain why it's so much fun, but it's just crazy and mental, when you're beating a zombie to death with another zombie or riding a broomstick while wielding a sniper rifle you know you're having a good time.

I'd highly recommend it. Did anyone else have any positive or negative experiences with it. I imagine many of the "Games with Gold" users got it, tried it in single player and discarded it :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's a brilliant game, I'd say it's the current interpretation of classics like Golden Axe or Streets of Rage. I spent an hour or so playing it when it was on the Games with Gold offer. Haven't had a chance to try multiplayer though.

If you don't already have Castle Crashers (or maybe if you do already have it and love it :D), then you should get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought castle crashes was absolute pish and a very poor interpretation of the arcade games it was trying to be like, is this one better than castle crashers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I have Castle Crushers and I love it, also have the Scott Pilgrim game, very fun/funny but super hard. I think they're fairly good attempts at coin-swallowing arcade beat-em-up games. They are really meant to be played multiplayer with 2-4 people.

You should try Charlie Murder some night with some friends and beers, it's really proper funny and dumb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just find it really poor in comparison to the likes of the capcom d and d games, alien vs predator or even stuff like revenge of death adder and streets of rage 2. I need something more than dumb button mashing. I was hoping this game has a bit more depth than castle crashers.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I just find it really poor in comparison to the likes of the capcom d and d games, alien vs predator or even stuff like revenge of death adder and streets of rage 2. I need something more than dumb button mashing. I was hoping this game has a bit more depth than castle crashers.

It is deeper, but bare in mind what this genre of games essentially is. They were always button mashers.

Charlie Murder has some RPG elements though where the clothes you were affect your stats and you can have elemental effects on clothes and weapons etc. It's a lot deeper in that respect than Castle Crushers and in ways a lot more fun.

But I don't know what you expect streets of rage 2 (i notice you picked 2 and not 3 :p )

To build on that existing platform and go further would result in the 1st scene of uncharted 3 :pac:

Also one thing I will say and this shouldn't really be a selling point is that both Castle Crashers and Charlie Murder have a "Hard" mode you unlock once you finish the game once allowing for a much more fulfilling 2nd play through.

There's worse ways to kill 6-8 hours with mates IMHO

• Advertisement

You see I find castle crashers up there with the Simpsons Arcade game in terms of blandness in the genre. There's some really deep games in the genre with later stuff like D&D, Dragons Crown and Alien vs Predator introducing RPG mechanincs and crazy high level play, for instance:

Castle Crashers is just dull for me and even something as basic as SoR2 I find a hell of a lot deeper. I was just hoping This game might be along the lines of D&D, or hell even scott pilgrim, although I still think that game pales compared to River City Ransom.I just get bored of games like Castle Crashers after 30 minutes, I'm too used to better fighters :)

I was just hoping This game might be along the lines of D&D, or hell even scott pilgrim, although I still think that game pales compared to River City Ransom.I just get bored of games like Castle Crashers after 30 minutes, I'm too used to better fighters :)

Not sure what I was doing wrong, but having played this genre a lot, I had to respectfully bow out of Scott Pilgrim after about the 3rd level in 2 player.
    Found it too hard, maybe something straight forward I was missing, but found it punishingly difficult.

Had another go at Charlie Murder in single player yesterday and ended up sinking another 4 hours into it. It is great fun, and there's many (silly) mini games in it too boot. A lot of it's selling point in ways is the stuff outside the gameplay, which is good, like the music which is all composed by one of the developers I believe (on your way to a Draculas Castle type area there's a rip off of the CastleVania theme), the pop culture references (look out for a playground ride of Pyramid head), the humour, the mini games (zombie baby fishing) etc.

It's just fun, not necessarily "deep" but i've rarely found side-scrolling shoot/beat em ups to be overly deep.

If you don't have a good time with this with some friends in Local-co-op of an evening, I'd be heavily surprised.

You've got to be levelling up a lot in Scott Pilgrim with items from the shop to get anywhere. Can be a bit grindy.

I might give this one a proper look before buying it but really don't want to waste my money on another mindless Castle Crashers type game. You should check out the D&D Chronicles of Mystaria if you want a similar game with loads of depth. They're available on nearly everything.

You've got to be levelling up a lot in Scott Pilgrim with items from the shop to get anywhere. Can be a bit grindy.

I might give this one a proper look before buying it but really don't want to waste my money on another mindless Castle Crashers type game. You should check out the D&D Chronicles of Mystaria if you want a similar game with loads of depth. They're available on nearly everything.

Castle Crushers this ain't which was a lot more "XXY Magic" rinse and repeat.

I'll check that out as me and my friends have been playing a lot more 4 player local co-op stuff after several failed nights on the likes of COD BO2 and similar complicated to pick up and learn to play while trying to enjoy banter and beer.

Charlie murder on the other hand had us in absolute convulsions of laughter. But as i say, it may not exactly wow in single player as apparently regardless of player numbers the enemies are still plentiful so you do have to whittle away on guys more in 1 player

Advertisement