Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repetitive Dose of Swimmers Ear

Options
  • 28-07-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

It is getting to the stage where I am getting swimmers ear 2/3 times a year and it usually involves going to a consultant who does a good job and then a 2 week break from swimming. The pain can be quite intense and not sure if I can keep it going long term

Anybody ever had to deal with this and be successful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey there. :) As a kid who practically lived in the pool and would get swimmer's ear periodically, my pediatrician prescribed a solution of 1 part white vinegar to 1 part rubbing alcohol for it. Even now as an adult I keep this mixture on hand and squirt a few drops in my ears when I think I have not gotten all the water out of them to prevent the onset of swimmer's ear - and it works like a charm for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I use Zoggs Silicone Putty Ear Plugs as i used to get bothered by water in my ears. They are air and water tight so no water in my ears anymore and swimming is a lot more comfortable. You could give them a try if its the water inside the ears that is bothering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

im not taking the p**s when i say this but try wearing blu tack in your ear .its cheap and gives the best seal of any ear plugs i have tried inclusing cusatom moulded ones.
    i had ostheoma of the ear from years swimming in the sea (cold water).i had to have my right ear basically drilled out (extremely painful) and was told i would have to get the other ear within 2 years if i kept swimming as i was. that was over 12 years ago and i swim more than ever. no operation due to blue tack.
    try it . it will only cost you 2 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭themoney

Don't waste your times with stand one size fits all ear plugs. Get custom ears plugs. Price range with from €95 to €150. Not sure for large range in prices but I shopped around and was happy to find out there was a guy in swords that did for €95 so called in on my lunch break. I gather they all go over to the same company in the UK in the end anyway.
    For me and my reoccurring ear infection it was money well spend as a trip to the doc and drugs wouldn't be far of the 100.
    PM me if you want me to get name of the guy in Swords.
    I have no connection to ear guy in Swords

Advertisement