Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer made a noise similar to a drill on start up

Options
  • 28-07-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

as the title says my PC sounded really weird on startup, I pulled off the the side panel and all the fans were spinning fine and the sound went away after about a minute, Could it be just dust build up on the fan or something more serious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

If the PC has been off for a while the fans can make noise when you fire it up. I have had this happen to PSU's in the past. Sometimes an internal cable can touch a spinning fan and make noise too, especially if your cable work is untidy and you have moved the PC recently. It could also indicate a fans ball bearings are wearing out. This is not a impending disaster situation, but it would be wise to replace the bad fan to get good thermal efficiency and low noise. It is not unusual for the above to make noise when the PC is turned on or off, but subside when the PC is on for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PCSharkey

I think I found the culprit fan and I removed it, Hopefully that fixes the issue thanks for the help.

Advertisement