Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must have games Wii

Options
  • 28-07-2014 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Dug out the wife's old wii and purchased a few titles for it, Mario bros wii, monster hunter tri, zelda, and the last story.

As I am the only serious gamer in the house in looking for some suggestions for must have purchases that are good to play as a single player.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Calhoun wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Dug out the wife's old wii and purchased a few titles for it, Mario bros wii, monster hunter tri, zelda, and the last story.

As I am the only serious gamer in the house in looking for some suggestions for must have purchases that are good to play as a single player.

Thanks

On wii? Jesus that's a tough one xD

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

First thing I'd do is install custom firmware on it - which is stupidly easy to do, then you can run all manner of emulators on it. Aside from that, you can't go wrong with the classics - Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Okami, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Xenoblade Chronicles etc. There's a great version of Resident Evil 4 for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I loved Donkey Kong Country Returns, a solid and fun platformer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Zack and wiki, Resident evil remake , resident evil umbrella chronicles , Zack and Wiki , sin and punishment , no more heroes 1 and 2 , Zelda twilight princess, fragile dreams, kirby epic yarn, pandora tower

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

First thing I'd do is install custom firmware on it - which is stupidly easy to do, then you can run all manner of emulators on it. Aside from that, you can't go wrong with the classics - Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Okami, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Xenoblade Chronicles etc. There's a great version of Resident Evil 4 for it too.

I assume you can't recommend custom firmware here ? Is there a risk of having it bricked ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'd agree with this, but i'd substitute Skyward Sword for Twilight Princess personally. And I wouldn't rush to get Mario Galaxy 2 until you've played and finished 1, 1 was a more complete article

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No discussion of console modding, please!

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, but i'd substitute Skyward Sword for Twilight Princess personally. And I wouldn't rush to get Mario Galaxy 2 until you've played and finished 1, 1 was a more complete article

I have skyward sword got it ages ago and never had the chance to play it as never had space for the wii.

I nearly bought galaxies the other day but instead I went for traditional Mario bro's , how does galaxies differ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dude, you're trolling now. :)

Look them up. 2 of the best games on any console, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

I think the block games I can't think of the name of them now but I'm sure steven Spielberg had something to do with the first one I remember those games being fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

I think the block games I can't think of the name of them now but I'm sure steven Spielberg had something to do with the first one I remember those games being fun

Just looked it up Boom Blox is the game

Mr E wrote: »
    Dude, you're trolling now. :)

Look them up. 2 of the best games on any console, ever.

Not intentionally , I grew up on sega ect and im not a fan of platformers but have a sort spot for the old stuff.

If I wanted a meta critic review I would have gone there but this forum is normally my guide at times when purchasing hence why I asked

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No worries. Highly recommended games. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

In short, there are loads of quality single player games on the Wii.

Along with everything already suggested, someone suggested Metroid Prime 3, but if possible get the Metroid Prime Trilogy

And as I always suggest, if you're a Prince of Persia fan, the Wii version of Forgotten Sands is completely different than the other console versions with new story and new powers. So it's an exclusive with the same name as the other console's versions.

I was really looking for metroid the other day, i bought super metroid on the store and wanted to play the new ones.

Is it true that Other M = crappy ? So try to stick to the trilogy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Other M is a decent game saddled with the most god awful story in videogaming since Kingdom Hearts that goes all out to take a dump all over the entire franchise. Ignore the story though and it's a good game. You can pick it up for a fiver now.

Of the ones that haven't been mentioned I'd recommend:

Beat the Beat
    A Boy and his Blob
    The trauma centre games
    Endless Ocean 1 and 2
    Opoona
    Fire Emblem
    Klonoa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Punchout was my favorite game on Wii. I played through the Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Smash Wii titles, and then some, and would still cite Punchout as my number one.

You can find it now for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Cursed mountain is a good survival horror, even if the combat is a bit cumbersome at times*
    There's some good SEGA games for it that are dead cheap now...
    Samba de Amigo**
    The house of the dead 2 & 3 return,**
    Ghost Squad,
    NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

* okay, maybe all the time
    ** actually dreamcast ports

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Madworld was a really good Sega game.

Sonic Colours too, probably the best Sonic game in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I like Little King's Story. It's a mix of real-time, life-sim and RPG that possesses a pretty neat charm, almost ramshackle. Have kingdom, build kingdom, invade other kingdom........

Muramasa: The Demon Blade rates on my 'Wii gotz to own' list, solid action-RPG, buoyed by a sexy art-direction.

Both have appeared on the Vita. The latter is expanded, and by all accounts, improved, and the former seems to jettison the appeal of the original and offer a drysh*te version in its stead.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom seem to be the crossover fighter that a lot of people would've preferred to Marvel vs Capcom 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

+1 for Okami. It's a fantastic game with utterly stunning art style that sometimes out-Zeldas Zelda. It deserves far more love than it ended up getting.

I'd recommend the WiiWare game Muscle March for the sheer bizarre homoerotic insanity. Great drunken party game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 papertales

Well, by far the Wii it's been my favorite console in my pretty long (gaming) life.

Rayman Legends, A Boy and His Blob, De Blob 2... Sonic Colors is simply amazing. But I honestly believe that the best two games that I played in Wii were Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Kirby Epic Yarn. The music in the Yarn game is the best of the best.

Just picked up metroid prime corruption, I didnt think that the wii u would have such an impact on wii games but there is little stock anywhere I am going to have to do a few online purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Calhoun wrote: »
    Just picked up metroid prime corruption, I didnt think that the wii u would have such an impact on wii games but there is little stock anywhere I am going to have to do a few online purchases.

Viola:

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/consoles-games/nintendo/137/q_wii+games/county-Wicklow/

:pac::pac::pac:

Cormac... wrote: »

Ha I guess I was just surprised how such a decent selling console has little shelf space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Xenoblade chronicles if you enjoy turn based RPG's, may have trouble finding a cheap copy though, i had to pay near full price for my copy.

Metroid prime 3 and red steel 2 are ones i picked up, red steel 2 meant to be great, i havent played mine yet, chipping away at Metroid prime 3 and Mario 3D atm, both great!

Also Mario galaxy 1+2 are meant to be Amazing! I'm prob gonna pick them up when i see them crazy cheap, im in no rush, i have alot of gaming backlog.

Still have two zeldas to get through, okami and Zombi U on top of the above, and other great games coming out soon :D

I would check out CEX they have allot of copies of Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 around 10-15 euro mark.

Thanks for the tip on xenoblade, will have to check it out as i am a big into RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

I'm not going to state how to get it as it's against the rules, but look into Project M. It's a mod for smash bros which is truly excellent quality.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Xenoblade is fantastic, and will take you ages to get through (in a good way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 papertales

I forgot about Klonoa, another magnific game.

Advertisement