Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dabs item under manufacturer guarantee

Options
  • 28-07-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a graphics card through dabs.ie and the card failed after a year. This is, what they claim, to be outside their warranty period but is still under manufacturer warranty period.

Who is responsible? Can dabs offer a different warranty period to the manufacturer? I rang them and they told me that they wont deal with me and to contact Gigabyte, the manufacturer. I rang them and they told me to go through Dabs.ie and that they shouldn't have referred me.

Am I within my rights to demand a refund or replacement card upto the value of the card that failed?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

Dboy85 wrote: »

Am I within my rights to demand a refund or replacement card upto the value of the card that failed?

Thanks!

you are entitled to be offered either a repair, replacement or refund based by the supplier. You are entitled to decline any of these offers and taking a claim with the SCC. However; the SCC wouldn't look too favourably to anyone not willing to accept a reasonable offer from a supplier.

In this case, you may have to outline your rights under the consumer legislation to dabs and insist they offer a remedy. I wouldn't imagine a repair to a video card to be a possibility and they may choose a refund; however as you have had use of the card for over a year the refund might not be the full value of what you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

whippet wrote: »
    you are entitled to be offered either a repair, replacement or refund based by the supplier. You are entitled to decline any of these offers and taking a claim with the SCC. However; the SCC wouldn't look too favourably to anyone not willing to accept a reasonable offer from a supplier.

Assuming of course that there is a genuine error with the card. If the failure is due to user error /misuse, then you are entitled to nothing. Just pointing this out to be balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Just rang them again and they wont accept delivery of the item to them. I've to return it to gigabyte at my own expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

In the first instance a repair or replacement may be offered, a refund is only required where you have grounds for rejecting the goods, here you do not.

I would simply use the small claims procedure OP. You'll probably find them more co-operative once they get a letter from the DC registrar.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Threatened them with the small claims court and low and behold they now accept return of faulty goods. So petty its unbelievable, thanks for the advice all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Threatened them with the small claims court and low and behold they now accept return of faulty goods. So petty its unbelievable, thanks for the advice all.

A word to the wise to you and others - be prepared to go through with a claim. Some companies have a 'cave at threat' policy where as many more have a cave at receipt of summons' policy.

Well done OP in getting it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

exactly whats needed with dabs.ie
    Useless to deal with. Deny, deny, deny all responsibility. Well done on getting it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Good luck with this OP. I had an issue with a laptop purchased from Dabs, it took around a few months and three attempted repairs and hundreds of emails between myself, Dabs and the manufacturer before I finally got my refund. I did only get partial refund though as I had use of the laptop for a year.

Problems started in December, and it was the end of May before I had my refund.

Never again would I go near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I find Dabs OK to deal with normally, but their returns are bad - they're like the new Pixmania in that regard. I bought a card that was faulty the day I received it and it look a month for it to get sorted.

Advertisement