Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of renovation works (rough estimate)

Options
  • 28-07-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi everyone,

I was advised to copy my question over here instead of accommodation so hopefully some of you might be able to help.

We're looking at a house at the moment (mid-terrace period property, C 110 sq. metres) and it's in need of some renovation work. We haven't got a surveyor in yet (which could obviously reveal huge work) but on face value, seems to need the following:

- new sash windows (3 front, 3 back)
    - GFCH installed
    - Re-wiring
    - Re-plumbing
    - Re-plastering
    - Insulation (internal)
    - probably new water tank

Could anyone out there give a ball-part figure for this work? Just to give us an idea.

Thanks! :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You'd have to 'ballpark' E50K, I would suggest (with a +/-).

When you say period property, is it a Protected Structure?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lillydub

Hi,

Nope, not a protected structure as per the council, but old none-the-less so in need of modernisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

DOCARCH wrote: »
    You'd have to 'ballpark' E50K, I would suggest (with a +/-).

When you say period property, is it a Protected Structure?

+1

the replumbing and electrics may have a great impact on finishes like covings and the like which if protected can be very expensive to replace. also if external walls need insulating you may need calsitherm or similar breathable boards and again very expensive

Thanks for your feedback.

How would you see the 50K being broken down job-by-job?

Again, I appreciate it's a "how long is a piece of string" questions, but given that we haven't bought the house yet we don't want to get involved in bidding (and increase the price for someone else) if it's a dead end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Lillydub wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback.

How would you see the 50K being broken down job-by-job?

Again, I appreciate it's a "how long is a piece of string" questions, but given that we haven't bought the house yet we don't want to get involved in bidding (and increase the price for someone else) if it's a dead end anyway.

But you don't mind others putting time into this for you - right ?

Mod: Banned for repeated inflammatory posting

• Advertisement

4Sticks wrote: »
    But you don't mind others putting time into this for you - right ?

@4sticks thanks for your reply. I was simply asking a question on the off chance that somebody with professional expertise would have some previous experience and could suggest, very quickly, rough estimates. We do intend getting a full survey done if successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Lillydub wrote: »
    @4sticks thanks for your reply. I was simply asking a question on the off chance that somebody with professional expertise would have some previous experience and could suggest, very quickly, rough estimates. We do intend getting a full survey done if successful.

Previous experience helps when one takes physical real world sight of and surveys a project. No one can do that on the web. Anything posted here appearing to break down 50k of works into a list of items would be no more than a wild stab in the dark. You would be foolish to take any note of it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

4Sticks wrote: »
    ...to berak down 50k of works into a lsit of items would be no more than a wild stab in the dark.

I'd have to agree with 4Sticks. I threw out E50K as a 'ballpark' (note the +/-), as an overall/high level possible budget for the works you described (given the size of the house) from my own experiences...but...to try and break that down into component costs would really be a stab in the dark and pretty pointless. The devil is all in the detail (and that's why the +/- bit is important to note!).

Advertisement