Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unlocking Replacement iPhone

• 28-07-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

So this is an interesting one: my iPhone 5s was replaced by Apple about six months ago and last night I went to O2.ie to request an unlock. Today I got a text (and an email) saying the phone's IMEI is unknown on the O2 network. Don't really know how that could be, given that the phone is registered with Bitbuzz, but anyway...

I'm wondering if Apple might have (inadvertently or not) given me a network-unlocked phone when they replaced my original 5s. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

iniall wrote: »
    So this is an interesting one: my iPhone 5s was replaced by Apple about six months ago and last night I went to O2.ie to request an unlock. Today I got a text (and an email) saying the phone's IMEI is unknown on the O2 network. Don't really know how that could be, given that the phone is registered with Bitbuzz, but anyway...

I'm wondering if Apple might have (inadvertently or not) given me a network-unlocked phone when they replaced my original 5s. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?

Most likely Apple supplied you with a phone with a new IMEI number. O2 have a record of the one they sold you. Contact Apple and they will supply you with a letter advising that they replaced the phone.

You just need to pass this onto O2 and they will submit the unlock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

Most likely Apple supplied you with a phone with a new IMEI number. O2 have a record of the one they sold you. Contact Apple and they will supply you with a letter advising that they replaced the phone.

You just need to pass this onto O2 and they will submit the unlock.

Well sure the replacement phone has a different IMEI to the original phone, but I would have thought that Apple would inform O2, or O2 would have noticed, especially, as I mentioned, I registered the replacement phone with Bitbuzz through O2.

I guess my question is, can the phone be locked to the O2 network, if O2 have no record of it? It seems unlikely, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Apple will replace the phone with the same lock status as the one they received for repair. Do as advised above. I had to do it twice with eMobile and there wasn't a problem either time.

As far as O2 are concerned that imei isn't belonging to their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

guil wrote: »
    Apple will replace the phone with the same lock status as the one they received for repair. Do as advised above. I had to do it twice with eMobile and there wasn't a problem either time.

As far as O2 are concerned that imei isn't belonging to their network.

But how can the phone be locked to O2, if O2 have no record of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Apple know whether it was locked or not. If it's locked, they lock the replacement to that network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

iniall wrote: »
    But how can the phone be locked to O2, if O2 have no record of it?
    I'm sure guil is correct and all you have to do is ring O2 cust. service and explain that your phone was swapped out, giving them the new IMEI. they will then arrange the unlock. O2 are the most efficient in this respect. That said, I'd pop a non-O2 micro sim in..........on the off chance that you were provided with a network free unit. Stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Guil is right. Had 2 iPhones replaced both were a little more tricky to get unlocked. In both cases apple sent me an email when the phone was replaced stating the old and replacement imei. This is all O2 should need, you might want to go trough your old emails...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

When my last replacement phone came from apple it was unlocked to VF and O2 but not to 48, I made contact with apple using the same reference number for the replacement and told them my last phone was unlocked to all networks and they sorted it.

Advertisement