Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanic Experience

Options
  • 28-07-2014 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I am visiting Belfast for a few days and want to see the Titanic exhibition. I have heard that some parts are not open every day such as the grand staircase,
    Is this the case and what else is to see or do in Belfast ??
    Cheers
    Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm also thinking of heading to Belfast for a night, was thinking Titanic and maybe a black cab tour. Has anyone done a BC tour? Also, can you go down beside the harland & wolffe cranes. Are they far from the city? Be great if you could go up them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Jet007 wrote: »
    I am visiting Belfast for a few days and want to see the Titanic exhibition. I have heard that some parts are not open every day such as the grand staircase,
    Is this the case and what else is to see or do in Belfast ??
    Cheers
    Jim

Thread moved from our Travel forum to the Belfast City forum where it would be better suited as it is localised.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

The grand staircase isn't part of the tour and isn't generally open to the public at all. It's part of the conference facility. It's occasionally open for public events or for viewing when there's nothing on. Best contact the museum and ask about it specifically....

That said, Titanic is well worht a visit anyway, it's a brilliant museum and do the Nomadic while you're there. Unfortunately you cna't get a joint ticket - that would make too much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Hi Slunk, the Harland and Wolff cranes are still in use and are as such not open to the public. You can still get close to them though and if you're up in the next week or so you may even see them lifting a couple of large offshore structures onto a ship that's in the dock.

Titanic building and H&W are both within a 20 minute walk of the city centre, less than a mile away. Or get the bus from the city centre. Try the 26 bus from the city centre or even pay for one of the tour buses which will drop you in the area:
    http://journeyplanner.translink.co.uk/ext_webpdf_desk/TTB/EFA01__0000350c_TP.pdf

Finally have a look at the Belfast visitor pass:
    http://visit-belfast.com/home/page/belfast-visitor-pass

It will get you free or discounted entry into some things, plus covers your travel fares too.

Advertisement