Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Unless you're an EU national, or have a reciprocal agreement (Applies to Australia and NZ) you're not covered by the public system here so, you'd need health insurance.

Regardless of the rules, it would be foolhardy and expensive to not take it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm going to go the other way here.

The cost of doing an undergrad in Ireland is still cheaper than pretty much any for profit Unviersity or Community college and is typically much cheaper than an out of state tuition for a University. It's even cheaper than in-state!

I have met so many people here that joined the military in order to get their education benefits. In that time they spent in the military they could have got a visa to move to Ireland to work and save up money and have fun exploring Europe and making friends AND then getting a free education once naturalized.

Instead they get dumped on for 4+ years. Kept away from friends and families, unable to leave a certain perimeter from their base. Dealing with some major a-holes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What about getting him to contact the US Embassy in Washington DC, or the nearest consular location to him & find out directly from them, what he needs to do?

There is no US Embassy in Washington DC just like there's no Irish Embassy in Dublin!

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of Americans who think they can just jump on a plane and move to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'm going to go the other way here.

The cost of doing an undergrad in Ireland is still cheaper than pretty much any for profit Unviersity or Community college and is typically much cheaper than an out of state tuition for a University. It's even cheaper than in-state!

A colleague of my wife's went through med school in Ireland (from the US). Between tuition and accommodation and fun times, he was out 15k a year (at the time) and lived well.

Between some help from his folks and throwing everything at his student debt, he was debt free pretty much by the time he was finished his first year of residency.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    There is no US Embassy in Washington DC just like there's no Irish Embassy in Dublin!

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of Americans who think they can just jump on a plane and move to Ireland.

What's worse? The American's who try that out of ignorance or all of the Irish that live in the US illegally knowingly?

• Advertisement

What's worse? The American's who try that out of ignorance or all of the Irish that live in the US illegally knowingly?

c'mon wompa - you know that it's different when we do it etc etc </sarcasm>

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Which is worse, an American who tries to live and work in Europe illegally out of ignorance, or one who does so knowingly?

There are a few Americans that know it is illegal for a foreigner to come to the US to work, but assume that the same type of rules won't apply to him/her moving to Europe.

Bayberry wrote: »
    Which is worse, an American who tries to live and work in Europe illegally out of ignorance, or one who does so knowingly?

There are a few Americans that know it is illegal for a foreigner to come to the US to work, but assume that the same type of rules won't apply to him/her moving to Europe.

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. It wouldn't stand up in court.

I remember when I lived in Barcelona there being a pretty famous case where an American was tried for immigration issues. Instead of going quietly back to the states, he pled not guilty based on the fact that he wasn't a drain on Spain etc. He was jailed for 3 months then barred from Schengen area for 15 years.

Yes, it's ignorance. Also, keep in mind that the majority of Americans have never actually left America. When you talk about illegal immigrants to most Americans, the only group they seem to relate that to is the Mexicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Yes, it's ignorance. Also, keep in mind that the majority of Americans have never actually left America. When you talk about illegal immigrants to most Americans, the only group they seem to relate that to is the Mexicans.
    There's ignorance and there's arrogance. "I didn't know I was arrogant" is even worse that "I didn't know".

• Advertisement

There's ignorance and there's arrogance. "I didn't know I was arrogant" is even worse that "I didn't know".

I hear ya. If it is arrogance than it is. Like with the illegal Irish over here

I hear ya. If it is arrogance than it is. Like with the illegal Irish over here

There is a bar on the next block to me that a lot of the Irish illegals go to - it's a well known watering hole. Whenever the cops are seen they quickly put out the cigarettes and head inside. Kind of ridiculous seeing as the police have no power on immigration in California.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Absolutely required. I'm an American, have been living in Ireland for three years. I've done three residency permits so far (first two were for a year each, latest one is for five years) and each time they were quite strict in demanding proof of private medical insurance.

Absolutely crucial! I am Irish, husband American. If he requires any medical treatment, GP visits, encounters emergency etc. whilst we are together at my property in Ireland he is covered by his USA employers (extensive, may I add!) insurance. Otherwise he is fcuk'ed as they succinctly put it on the streets! Travel insurance covers only short (less than a month, usually) specified visits abroad.

EU healthcare is based exclusively on EU residency. Recently I broke a femur whilst visiting the UK, where I had lived for the previous 20 years. However I was now "domiciled" (though no Green Card or status!) in the USA so had to pay all expenses to the hospital which treated the fracture.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Sounds like pure hubris. "I/we are above the law". Yeah...........there are (believe it or not!) some Americans who are not aware of the long and esteemed European judicial and parliamentary systems of governance which significantly pre-date their own (ahem!) "territorial acquisitions" and subsequent arrangments.

Advertisement