Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off road cycle trails/paths around Waterford City/County?

Options
  • 28-07-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Looking for paths for family cycling around town that away from cars, preferably. Found the trails in Kilbarry and along the Tramore road. Anymore around? I know the greenway is coming, but looking for now. Open to areas outside of the city as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

How far outside the city?

Part of the deise greenway is built.

Also there is a walkway along the river bank between Graiguenamanagh and St Mullins as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

bp_me wrote: »
    How far outside the city?

Part of the deise greenway is built.

Also there is a walkway along the river bank between Graiguenamanagh and St Mullins as far as I know.

We've tried the Dungarvan trails and it was lovely and we're planning on checking out the St.Mullins ride this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

You'll have the Deise Greenway very soon OP...

St Mullins to Graiguenamanagh is a beautiful cycle, most of it is short grass so your legs will feel it! You can continue well beyond Graiguenamanagh......Borris, Goresbridge, Bagenalstown, Carlow. Maganey is the most north we've cycled to, about 8km above Carlow. Surface varies from chippings to tarmac to grass to bumpy and hidden ruts. Some parts are very wide, some just the width of a bike.

Kilkenny has 2km out and 2km back between the castle and the river, all tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

You'll have the Deise Greenway very soon OP...

St Mullins to Graiguenamanagh is a beautiful cycle, most of it is short grass so your legs will feel it! You can continue well beyond Graiguenamanagh......Borris, Goresbridge, Bagenalstown, Carlow. Maganey is the most north we've cycled to, about 8km above Carlow. Surface varies from chippings to tarmac to grass to bumpy and hidden ruts. Some parts are very wide, some just the width of a bike.

Kilkenny has 2km out and 2km back between the castle and the river, all tarmac.

Thanks, have added the kilkenny route to the daytrip list. Really looking forward to the greenway (is there an estimated finish date?), and I'm really looking forward to the Wexford ride now!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

Jamerican wrote: »
    Thanks, have added the kilkenny route to the daytrip list. Really looking forward to the greenway (is there an estimated finish date?), and I'm really looking forward to the Wexford ride now!

We're hoping most of the route will be completed by this time next year. The 7km extension on the Dungarvan side (that gets underway in Sept/Oct) will be a major addition with tunnel and viaduct. On the Waterford City end, construction is about to get underway on the roughly 9km section between the city and Kilmeaden. For family cycles, these will be terrific stretches.

The EU will be announcing more greenway funding this year and the council are pushing hard for Waterford to be part of this. The Deise Greenway in its entirety is part of Eurovelo 1, an EU designated route.

• Advertisement
Advertisement