Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV license inspector

Options
  • 28-07-2014 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi, few months ago we rang the tv licence department and told them that our house next door does not have a tv and its more of a storage place. We are already paying for the licence for our main house as well. The guy on the phone was ok with it and he mark us off and told us that if we recieve anymore letters we can ignore them.

Last week an inspector drop by to inspect the house but since we are all at work and nobody lives next door we couldn't do anything. He dropped us a notes saying he will be back in 9 days.

My gf was meant to ring the tv licences department to see if they could arrange a time. But she lost the note and never bothered calling them. The inpsector should be back by tomorrow or Wednesday.

Im wondering if we could'nt answer the door again what will usually happen? We will get fined or another warning?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

You don't have a TV so it's not your problem. Ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Who was the note addressed to? I wouldn't worry yourself overly much about this.

The government really needs to just implement the Broadcast tax already so these people can get jobs that actually contribute to the economy rather than soaking up the tax that they're trying to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eldarion wrote: »
    The government really needs to just implement the Broadcast fund broadcasting out of general tax already so these people can get jobs that actually contribute to the economy rather than soaking up the tax that they're trying to collect.

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

The guy on the phone was ok with it and he mark us off and told us that if we recieve anymore letters we can ignore them.

You answered your own question...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭PenguinForce

mfergus wrote: »
    You answered your own question...

I thought this inspection is a follow up to confirm that there is actually no TV in the house. So I don't know if they will actually start sending me more warning letters if they never get to inpsect the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

I thought this inspection is a follow up to confirm that there is actually no TV in the house. So I don't know if they will actually start sending me more warning letters if they never get to inpsect the house.

I'd ignore them to be honest.

The onus of proof is on them to prove you have a television in the house and no licence.
    They will have to prove 3 things:

A) your identity - they probably already have this as you have been in contact with them.

B) that you have a television - this can't be proved as you do not have one.

C) that you do not have a licence - they can prove that bit that's irrelevant as you don't have a TV.

Op, don't worry. If they do call and you happen to be home, let them in and show then you have no TV(if you want). Again, it's up to them to prove you have a telly. Not up to you to prove you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

If a property is empty with the electricity turned off and yet there is a tv there surely there is no need for a license?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement