Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dealing with dogs while cycling

• 28-07-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get back into the cycling after taking a hiatus for the past year, and I am looking for tips regarding dealing with dogs that chase bicycles

I've had some very close scrapes in the past with dogs that suddenly dash out when I pass a house and occasionally even persisted for a few hundred metres.

So how does everybody deal with dogs while out cycling? Shout at them? Water? Other distractions? Or simply pedal away as fast as possible? Or do cyclists try to stick to main roads etc. in order to avoid such dogs?

I'd like to hear people's views on this topic. I have established a route which avoids any aggressive dogs completely, but I want to cycle elsewhere on roads with dogs that aren't particularly well-mannered.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They hate fire extinguishers being sprayed at them. But they are pretty heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Never have a problem with dogs to be honest. If I do see one ahead make a noise so they know you are coming and don't get a fright. Give them a wide birth and remove the string of sausages from around your neck!

Are you afraid of dogs day to day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

No not at all afraid of dogs, I'd be afraid of upskittling myself and/or the bike and/or the dog and possibly causing injury to the dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I cycle mostly on quiet country roads but there are a lot of dogs on some of the routes. I find that if I stop and get off the bike they usually just turn around and head back in. It seems to be that they think they can nip at you while on the bike but won't take chances when you're off it.
    You are much bigger than a dog. Remind them of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Ok. If I am going at a decent pace I don't worry about it. Most dogs aren't thick so they won't get in your way.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, no need for ammunition so:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

SHout at them whilst looking directly at them. A good stern 'Go Home' or a 'geettt' does the trick most of the time, if you try to pedal off faster than them it encourages them to chase. I don't find it a problem at all in the city, but down home definitely a problem. They're not used to bikes as much (or walkers!) and tend to chase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

cheerspal wrote: »
    Never have a problem with dogs to be honest. If I do see one ahead make a noise so they know you are coming and don't get a fright. Give them a wide birth and remove the string of sausages from around your neck!

Are you afraid of dogs day to day?

lol

you'd have a problem if they were attacking you

ive had to fight them off a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Thanks for the advice, no need for ammunition so:D

Normally no,

but if you're a Rhode Island Red I don't think you can be too careful :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Last year was attacked on my bike by a black Alsation.
    No point in trying to outrun it, cause if it hit my leg or bike, I'd be over the handle bars and in a much worse state.
    So I stopped oppisite the house and roared for the owner...
    A woman opened the window of the house and called her dog...that was my cue for a verbal outburst towards the owner..in which I told her (amongest other things!!) I'd be going to the gards to report the dog running loose on the road and attacking me.
    Following day did just that....gards went round and dog has been on a chain ever since..
    Never try to outrun the dog...dogs treat that as part of the chase...and if they make contact with you in anyway...you'll be in bits all over the road.
    Stop and shout at the dog and owner..if they are there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

If you know the routes . Have your Bidon ready and a good dash of water into the face will stop most dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Metal Zefal pump waved in the general direction if need be but never needed to be used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Borderfox wrote: »
    Metal Zefal pump waved in the general direction if need be but never needed to be used

Best multi tool ever invented.:D Mini pumps these days don't have the same effect.
    Had a dog chase me on Saturday,unlike most it wasn't just a mad dash and bark job. This dog was chasing me down and gaining ground quick.Not afraid of dogs one bit but you know when a dogs manner is just out to get it's target. Went to reach for the pump in my back pocket but thought it would only be of any use when the dog was along side me. Just got my bottle and gave a good blast backwards while giving a roar at the dog. Stopped in it's tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

It's quite good training when they chase you at the bottom of a hill, just keep going and drop them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I'm trying to get back into the cycling after taking a hiatus for the past year, and I am looking for tips regarding dealing with dogs that chase bicycles

I've had some very close scrapes in the past with dogs that suddenly dash out when I pass a house and occasionally even persisted for a few hundred metres.

So how does everybody deal with dogs while out cycling? Shout at them? Water? Other distractions? Or simply pedal away as fast as possible? Or do cyclists try to stick to main roads etc. in order to avoid such dogs?

I'd like to hear people's views on this topic. I have established a route which avoids any aggressive dogs completely, but I want to cycle elsewhere on roads with dogs that aren't particularly well-mannered.

Your thoughts?
    jebus, you must be a mystic, I had planned to pose this question this morning.
    on the way to work yesterday going through the strawberry beds a collie came whooring out of a house and had a go at my leg, wasnt expecting it and it gave me a wobble (didnt get to bite me), I gave it a "get the fcuk out of it ya backstard" at the top of my lungs & that seemed to have the desired effect.
    One of my colleagues reckons best to be prepped, have left foot unclipped & give him a belt of it!
    I have had dogs charge to the gate of the houses before but never come out, this was the 1st occasion, if you feel that there is a genuine risk of being bitten or having a spill is there a argument for giving it a clobber or just roar at it.
    I dont see the option of going up to the house as viable due to the risk of the dog having another go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

I'd love a Google map or similar of where the worst offenders are located in North Wicklow and Dublin. Never been bitten to date but am always a little bit nervous when exploring new roads... Fair enough if people want their mutts loose in the front garden, but FFS keep the gate closed then!

my saturday/sunday spin passes a few four legged friends, one lil jack russell comes flying along the fence barking up a storm but the gate is always shut so no bother, yesterday was a commute to work which i will be doing 2/3 times a week, I did a recon on it a few days previous & no sign of the dog, unless it was being allowed out to take care of its business early doors (0650-0700).
    I just thankfull it was furher along the road as the hill passing the pub is quite steep & I wouldnt have been able to get away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

The law is very clear on dogs not kept under control by their owners, contact your local dog warden and make a complaint before these dogs are the cause of a serious accident.
    There are many different levels of cyclists and some of them may not be able to get away quick enough from them, some might be children or an older person cycling past these dogs, help every cyclist by reporting dogs that chase bikes.
    A warning might just be enough !

Control of dogs.

9.—(1) The owner or any other person in charge of a dog shall not permit the dog to be in any place other than—

(a) the premises of the owner, or

(b) the premises of such other person in charge of the dog, or

(c) the premises of any other person, with the consent of that person,

unless such owner or such other person in charge of the dog accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.
    16.—(1) A dog warden may—

(a) where he has reasonable grounds for believing that a person is committing, or has committed, an offence under this Act or under any regulation or bye-law made thereunder, request of the person his name and address and may request that any information given be verified;

(b) seize any dog and detain it in order to ascertain whether an offence under this Act is being or has been committed and may enter any premises (other than a dwelling) for the purposes of such seizure and detention;

(c) enter any premises (other than a dwelling) for the purpose of preventing or ending—

(i) an attack by a dog on any person

Source http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/index.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

isn't anyone going to post the american flyers clip?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

A while back when I flew into Dublin airport and cycled home to the West coast after a few years of no cycling in Ireland, I was almost disappointed that I managed to get more than half-way home before a couple of collies came tearing out of a farm with blue turf smoke curling out of the farmhouse chimney and barked their heads off. They were harmless, met two more agressive ones in Ballysadare but that was it. 4 dogs in 200 km, mostly on country roads.

I had an encounter with a collie 2 weeks ago when I was jogging, it ran at me barking furiously and I think it would have made little punctures in one of my calves if I had tried to jog past it. So I stopped and said "hey, what's all this fuss about?" in a loud voice and made eye contact, and then we had a little standoff a few inches apart. At that point the dog was no longer on auto-pilot, it was having to think about what was supposed to happen next. It had tried to strike fear into me and I hadn't reacted like a sheep, and its internal programming was broken now. It was lost and confused and really, really hoping its people would take over the situation now that it had done its job as the family's first line of defence. And they did, they finally looked up from their chery picking and called the dog. He was pathetically grateful to be called away and both collies were on a lead when I passed the family again on my return leg. I was glad the family had copped themselves on, but I wouldn't have been overly worried if the dogs hadn't been on leads.

The trouble with collies is that they count success in terms of the number of people they've "moved on" by barking and snapping and seeing as 99.9% of people are going to continue past their houses anyway they have a lot of successes and decide that whatever they are doing must be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Just tell the Dog you are Paul Kimmage and you want to interview them, just wait and the dog will probably turn and run in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

used to cross paths with a territorial terrier on one my regular routes down in kerry, id always outrun the fecker but as someone already said the chase only spurred him on. one day i just stopped outside his house as he was starting his chase, he just came over, gave me a sniff and i gave him a pet. and that was the end of that havent been chased again. dunno if id be as confident in my approach with a bigger dog but im fairly sure the mentality would be the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Dogs help your Strava kudos count!

Set up a Strava segment right outside the offending dogs house and watch those KOM's tumble lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

If there's one particular dog routinely causing you grief, put vinegar in your water bottle and give him a splash next time out. Problem solved.
    Note to animal welfare groups: I haven't tried this yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

A while back when I flew into Dublin airport and cycled home to the West coast after a few years of no cycling in Ireland, I was almost disappointed that I managed to get more than half-way home before a couple of collies came tearing out of a farm with blue turf smoke curling out of the farmhouse chimney and barked their heads off. They were harmless, met two more agressive ones in Ballysadare but that was it. 4 dogs in 200 km, mostly on country roads.

I had an encounter with a collie 2 weeks ago when I was jogging, it ran at me barking furiously and I think it would have made little punctures in one of my calves if I had tried to jog past it. So I stopped and said "hey, what's all this fuss about?" in a loud voice and made eye contact, and then we had a little standoff a few inches apart. At that point the dog was no longer on auto-pilot, it was having to think about what was supposed to happen next. It had tried to strike fear into me and I hadn't reacted like a sheep, and its internal programming was broken now. It was lost and confused and really, really hoping its people would take over the situation now that it had done its job as the family's first line of defence. And they did, they finally looked up from their chery picking and called the dog. He was pathetically grateful to be called away and both collies were on a lead when I passed the family again on my return leg. I was glad the family had copped themselves on, but I wouldn't have been overly worried if the dogs hadn't been on leads.

The trouble with collies is that they count success in terms of the number of people they've "moved on" by barking and snapping and seeing as 99.9% of people are going to continue past their houses anyway they have a lot of successes and decide that whatever they are doing must be working.

That's exactly it, a dogs internal "reasoning" is that if it runs it's prey

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bloggsie wrote: »
    I gave it a "get the fcuk out of it ya backstard" at the top of my lungs & that seemed to have the desired effect.

I few loud and florid expletives usually do the trick for me too. All the better if the owner is close by :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

5 people were taken down in the group I was cycling in at the Mount Leinster this year. A dog ran out of a farm-yard and right into the group. A girl went head over heels after hitting him and then others crashed into her.

No time to do anything to avoid the dog or for the people right behind her to avoid the crash. So I think there's a fair element of just having to not be really unlucky!

Thanks for all the advice everybody. Will have to try it out on a rather imposing German shepherd on my planned route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

mamax wrote: »
    ...The law is very clear on dogs not kept under control by their owners, contact your local dog warden and make a complaint before these dogs are the cause of a serious accident...
    All very well in theory but in practice, from experience, it doesn't work that way!
    Reported a dog to SDC. Reply I got was "Sorry can't do anything there is no dog licenced at that address..."
    WTF!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Esroh wrote: »
    If you know the routes . Have your Bidon ready and a good dash of water into the face will stop most dogs.
    i remember that donkey's years ago, MBUK suggested one bottle with water for drinking, and another bottle with water which had chilli sauce in it for discouraging dogs which attacked cyclists. they claimed that said dog would never attack a cyclist again.
    i'm not necessarily endorsing this approach, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

There is one horrible dog on the Ashbourne side of Kilbride which comes flying out of the fence every time I go by. Fortunately, I go by fairly early on so I can maintain a pace.

Last week it happened again but with a rather disturbing twist. There was a lady in the garden (I am assuming the owner) who stood up and watched her damn dog come flying out at me and made no attempt to call it back or stop it.

I have never made a note of the house name before because I have been one pedal-stroke ahead of the frothing jaws but I am definitely going to this week.

The dog warden has been active in Ashbourne recently so hopefully they can do something. By the way, this one would be as enthusiastic as the one in mossym's film clip. Wish me luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

i remember that donkey's years ago, MBUK suggested one bottle with water for drinking, and another bottle with water which had chilli sauce in it for discouraging dogs which attacked cyclists. they claimed that said dog would never attack a cyclist again.
    i'm not necessarily endorsing this approach, mind.
    You'd want to be getting hassled pretty regularly to dedicate a whole bidon to chili sauce. One of the little gel bottles in a back pocket might work.

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Reported a dog to SDC. Reply I got was "Sorry can't do anything there is no dog licenced at that address..."
    WTF!

Report them for not having a dog licence :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Midnight64 wrote: »
    There is one horrible dog on the Ashbourne side of Kilbride which comes flying out of the fence every time I go by. Fortunately, I go by fairly early on so I can maintain a pace.

Last week it happened again but with a rather disturbing twist. There was a lady in the garden (I am assuming the owner) who stood up and watched her damn dog come flying out at me and made no attempt to call it back or stop it.

I have never made a note of the house name before because I have been one pedal-stroke ahead of the frothing jaws but I am definitely going to this week.

The dog warden has been active in Ashbourne recently so hopefully they can do something. By the way, this one would be as enthusiastic as the one in mossym's film clip. Wish me luck.

I think I know this mutt. HE made me sprint up the road over the flyover towards the old n2 just north of coolquay. The thing was the dog chased me over the flyover and I was concerned that he would follow me onto the main road. He did stop as I was waiting to turn right so I think the above suggestion to stop and discuss this whole barking/ chasing thing and come to some agreement😜

t'bear wrote: »
    I think I know this mutt. HE made me sprint up the road over the flyover towards the old n2 just north of coolquay. The thing was the dog chased me over the flyover and I was concerned that he would follow me onto the main road. He did stop as I was waiting to turn right so I think the above suggestion to stop and discuss this whole barking/ chasing thing and come to some agreement😜

That is the one! Collie cross I think. Sort of glad it was not just me!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

In relation to the stopping advice. Few years back when I started cycling, I got lost, and ended up in the middle of nowhere coming down a road I’d never been on before or been on since. Knew from google maps it would bring me to a road that got me heading in the right direction. Cycling along, old guy mending a fence, next thing rather mean looking dog shoots out form beside him and comes at me, teeth bared, really looking aggressive. I had heard the stopping advice before, so figured I’d stop, quiten the dog, and ask directions to make sure I was right. As I was slowing, I heard the old fella shout “Je$u$ christ don’t stop”, I presume in reference to what the dog would do if he caught me. That’s still probably the most watts I have ever put into the pedals, and that dog chased me a good mile down the road.

Rang the warden, they made a note of it, but without an address there wasn’t much they could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Blast of your water bottle, they get the idea pretty sharpish!

biomed32 wrote: »
    Blast of your water bottle, they get the idea pretty sharpish!

Pretty sure I wouldn't be terribly accurate while trying to pedal like the clappers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Midnight64 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I wouldn't be terribly accurate while trying to pedal like the clappers.

Its an acquired skill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Jack Joll

Got bit! this weekend, Saturday evening, was out for a light leg wake up before a race and wasn't pushing it too hard.

F**ker came out from a farm yard to my left without warning and before I knew it, with a bit of pre-bite barking, he sank his teeth in, He let go, I tried to click out maybe give him a kick. But he was better than me and he sunk his teeth in a second time right on the same spot. I limped up the road a bit away from him and his companion before I got a chance to lift my sock and analyse the damage. With a gapping would all I could think about was the possibility of racing the next day, I kept a firm eye on the house across from the farm, and with all my shouting not one person stuck there nose out to see what the noise was!!

Went home, cleaned up and bandaged up, raced next day, and thought nothing of it. Only everybody I talk to now says, ah you should have went back in and complained (easy when there was two dogs chomping at the bit and me feeling faint with big gash being held together by my now ruby red - white sock). Ah and you should have reported it, I kinda was just going to leave it and take it on the chin, and not go by that house or farm again.

But I'm wondering what should I do, and what if it was someone who maybe wasnt as strong as me on the bike! And hes also got the taste for blood now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Stand up stomp on the pedals and enjoy the chase. I meet a few dogs along my routes here at home, I know when to expect them so I pick up the pace a bit to keep in front when they come out the gap. Mostly they spend so much time fighting each other for position on the road they get tangled up. I have gotten one fright passing a house a few months back, particularly long drag up past the house. I had done it a few times with no problems but this time the dog spotted me and gave chase. Being in a low gear for the hill and panting like a woman in labor ment I was lacking serious pace and I could hear the fcuker gaining ground. He gave up the chase and I went around the bend to find another dog waiting at a gap, thankfully he was out to see what the noise was about and let me pass.

Or
    bsa_bike_museum_02.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

biomed32 wrote: »
    Its an acquired skill!
    Practise on your clubmates. Keeps everyone on their toes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Jack Joll wrote: »
    But I'm wondering what should I do, and what if it was someone who maybe wasnt as strong as me on the bike! And hes also got the taste for blood now!

Difficult to know. If it was me, I'd send a letter to the dog warden including a photo of the bite and a request that the dog be put down. I'd also copy the local Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

Cyclists shouldn't be put in a position by dog-owners where they feel they have to inflict injury on a dog in order to stay safe or protect themselves.
    The solution lies with the owners rather than with aiming insults, water, kicks or miscellaneous tools at the unfortunate animal. I would prefer to confront the owner if I thought it safe, or the guards if I thought the dog a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

RV wrote: »
    Cyclists shouldn't be put in a position by dog-owners where they feel they have to inflict injury on a dog in order to stay safe or protect themselves.
    The solution lies with the owners rather than with aiming insults, water, kicks or miscellaneous tools at the unfortunate animal. I would prefer to confront the owner if I thought it safe, or the guards if I thought the dog a threat.

I'd have a preference for continuing my spin over having to sort out somebody's poxy dog problem with the Gaurds. Its the water bottle for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

I'd have a preference for continuing my spin over having to sort out somebody's poxy dog problem with the Gaurds. Its the water bottle for me.

Yes - my preference would be the same; I agree. The right thing to do IMO is to talk to the owner, warden or police. Or mention it here which also helps.

Jack Joll wrote: »
    Got bit! this weekend, Saturday evening, was out for a light leg wake up before a race and wasn't pushing it too hard.

F**ker came out from a farm yard to my left without warning and before I knew it, with a bit of pre-bite barking, he sank his teeth in, He let go, I tried to click out maybe give him a kick. But he was better than me and he sunk his teeth in a second time right on the same spot. I limped up the road a bit away from him and his companion before I got a chance to lift my sock and analyse the damage. With a gapping would all I could think about was the possibility of racing the next day, I kept a firm eye on the house across from the farm, and with all my shouting not one person stuck there nose out to see what the noise was!!

Went home, cleaned up and bandaged up, raced next day, and thought nothing of it. Only everybody I talk to now says, ah you should have went back in and complained (easy when there was two dogs chomping at the bit and me feeling faint with big gash being held together by my now ruby red - white sock). Ah and you should have reported it, I kinda was just going to leave it and take it on the chin, and not go by that house or farm again.

how about mam, dad & a couple of kids take a lesireley pootle along the same road! to do nothing could have worse consequences for someone else. I would still go back & make them aware, depending on how the owners react take the matter further!

Just because we are cycling and can speed away quickly most of the time makes no difference.
    If you were walking past these dogs and they bit you or your wife or kids what would you do ?

Enough said, go report them !

• Advertisement
Advertisement