Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safe location for car while off the road tax etc

• 28-07-2014 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just wondering if my car can be seized from a housing estate, its nct'd, insured just not taxed, I missed the time to give the notice so it'll be best to change the owner when the time comes (such a stupid law) , I wont need to use it for another 6 months, its on street parked but can move it to the drive if thats best location, is there a risk with it being on street parked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

SunRain wrote: »
    Just wondering if my car can be seized from a housing estate, its nct'd, insured just not taxed, I missed the time to give the notice so it'll be best to change the owner when the time comes (such a stupid law) , I wont need to use it for another 6 months, its on street parked but can move it to the drive if thats best location, is there a risk with it being on street parked.

If you leave it on the street long enough someone could report it abandoned

You won't want that hassle. Park it in your drive if possible. In your drive and on private property, you don't need insurance if your not driving it (except theft won't be insured)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Park it on private property as it can still get ticketed while parked in a public place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It can indeed get lifted if the tax is more than 2 months out. Put it n the drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Well no warden or guard has ever checked tax in my estate. Once your estate isn't in an area that requires pay for parking and has residents permits it should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

Appreciate your dilemma but you would have made your life so much easier if you had declared officially that your car was going "off the road" before the tax ran out.

Official line on this issue is as follows:
    "Vehicle off the road
    New procedures have been introduced for declaring a vehicle is temporarily off the road so that you do not have to pay motor tax for that period. Since 1 October 2013 you are required to declare in advance that your vehicle will be off the road and not in use for a period of between 3 and 12 months using Declaration of Non-Use of a Motor Vehicle Form RF150 (pdf), which you submit to your motor tax office. The declaration of non-use must be made in the same month that your current motor tax disc expires. If arrears in motor tax are due these must be paid in full and you must also pay a minimum of 3 months motor tax, before a declaration of non-use can be made."

For more information, see Citizens Information website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 brencork

Appreciate your dilemma but you would have made your life so much easier if you had declared officially that your car was going "off the road" before the tax ran out.

Official line on this issue is as follows:
    "Vehicle off the road
    New procedures have been introduced for declaring a vehicle is temporarily off the road so that you do not have to pay motor tax for that period. Since 1 October 2013 you are required to declare in advance that your vehicle will be off the road and not in use for a period of between 3 and 12 months using Declaration of Non-Use of a Motor Vehicle Form RF150 (pdf), which you submit to your motor tax office. The declaration of non-use must be made in the same month that your current motor tax disc expires. If arrears in motor tax are due these must be paid in full and you must also pay a minimum of 3 months motor tax, before a declaration of non-use can be made."

For more information, see Citizens Information website.

That's really helpful

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Well no warden or guard has ever checked tax in my estate. Once your estate isn't in an area that requires pay for parking and has residents permits it should be grand.

You would be surprised. All it can take is a phone call by a disgruntled neighbour for whatever reason or even a Garda car passing by.

If a vacant driveway is available then it makes sense to avail of it, nothing to worry about then.

I suppose it would have to be a very observant garda to notice whilst passing by really.

As I said, with a driveway available why take the chance of hassle?

Maybe he doesn't have one!

Somebody should ask him to clarify!

• Advertisement

He mentions a drive in his OP.
    SunRain wrote: »

So he does.

Then I'd advise leaving it on the road, if there's any issues, move it into the driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

brencork wrote: »
    So he does.

Then I'd advise leaving it on the road, if there's any issues, move it into the driveway.

Chances are it will be too late by the time there are issues.

Leave it in the driveway where it does not need to be taxed or insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Did not another poster here receive a fine for a non taxed car parked in an estate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If you leave in on the road then it is not "off the road". Put in on private property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

brencork wrote: »
    I suppose it would have to be a very observant garda to notice whilst passing by really.
    It is naive to think that gardai are not very observant.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It only takes a phone call from a neighbour and the vehicle could be lifted

Advertisement