Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights

Options
  • 28-07-2014 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I just installed weather proof flourescent twin light switch start and I have notice a buzzing noise coming from it is this normal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

could just be moisture, or water vapour interfering with it. I think its called electrical corona. Which would mean u need to check your seals for moisture. If its nearly silent its ok.

It could be however loose wiring, bad wiring or a faulty unit. Needs checking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ltz400

Well the unit is brand new just installed it as for wireing that's ok to the light unless there is a fault with the light or is it normal as I now there is 2 types of these light and I have an old 1 in the other shed and only a small noise when switch on then nothing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Lights that contain a choke (or ballast) are known to buzz.
    The core of the choke is magnetized and de-magnetized, this makes the metal expand and contract which in turn causes it to hum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

ltz400 wrote: »
    Well the unit is brand new just installed it as for wireing that's ok to the light unless there is a fault with the light or is it normal as I now there is 2 types of these light and I have an old 1 in the other shed and only a small noise when switch on then nothing

Your type is high frequency, these type eliminates hum and buzz completely within the human aural range. So there is some issue with it. Would not be unusual to have a faulty fitting.
    Check over the way you mounted it and all is correct and wiring connections after that its the fitting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Your type is high frequency

Although the lights may be high frequency there is nothing in the OP's post to suggest this.
    In fact the OP's issue would suggest the opposite.

Here is a good link on the subject:

http://www.lightsearch.com/resources/lightguides/ballasts.html

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Although the lights may be high frequency there is nothing in the OP's post to suggest this.

I was going by what the op said here.
    I now there is 2 types of these light and I have an old 1 in the other shed

I was going by what the op said here.

That is a bit of a leap to be honest.

There are many types of fluorescent lights, just because the OP has 2 different types does not mean that one of them is high frequency.

2011 wrote: »
    That is a bit of a leap to be honest.

Its not to be fair about it, he said 2 different types not brands.

Maybe the op can put up a pic of the fitting.

The op in opening post said switch start so that rules that it is high frequency. When op said later that he had the newer type fitted it was fair to say it was high frequency. I took my opinion from that post. My bad.

Its not to be fair about it, he said 2 different types not brands.

Maybe the op can put up a pic of the fitting.

He did, and there are many, many different types of fluorescent lights.
    http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/philips-fluorescent-light-fixture.html

Please pay attention to the revised Charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ltz400 wrote: »
    I just installed weather proof flourescent twin light switch start and I have notice a buzzing noise coming from it is this normal

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=146825

For the record the OP says that this fitting is switch start, this is not high frequency, Sir Arthur Daley I understand that you have recognised that you missed this, fair play to you for same.

I assume that 2011 directed you to the new charter because we have had a number of threads lately that have been derailed unnecessarily, for petty reasons.

Discussing if the Op meant manufacturer or the type of control gear would fall under that type of discussion, as would discussing if it was switch start or high frequency particularly when the first line says that it is switch start.

This is my opinion on this, if you look at the time that you acknowledged that you missed a key piece of information in the OP, it was just 1 minute after 2011 asked you to read the charter as he saw a pointless argument developing about a detail that the OP provided in the first line of the thread.

I'm sure 2011 missed your acknowledgement as you were both responding at the same time.

Our aim is to keep threads on track. We've also asked posters who've taken part in starting tit for tat arguments to evaluate their part in the discussion before reporting the thread. That's really the bones of the charter update.

Stoner wrote: »

For the record the OP says that this fitting is switch start, this is not high frequency, Sir Arthur Daley I understand that you have recognised that you missed this, fair play to you for same.

I only spotted that the op said switch start and acknowledged my mistake in post 10, i based my original opinion on the ops post #3.
    Its fair to say 2011 also missed that the op said switch start in opening post as he would have said it straight away to clear my confusion up.
    I was only debating the ops posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sir Arthur Daly, once again, please read the Charter, particularly the second last line this is a place to share knowledge, not win petty arguments.

you completely missed the fundamental detail in first line of this thread, it was a simple error but it started a needless debate.

Please keep future posts on this thread in-line with the OP's question and no more.

Thank you.

Regards

Stoner.

Advertisement