Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing cured meats after opening

• 28-07-2014 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently returned from a holiday to Barcelona. While there I bought 5-6 different types of cured meats, chorizo, iberico ham, serrano ham etc.

The vendor said to store at room temperature for maximum flavour which makes sense. All meats are vacuum packed.

However, I was wondering, once they are opened what's the best way to keep the meat fresh for longest...cling film/tinfoil @room temperature? Store in fridge?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If they are in pieces, rather than sliced, just hang them up in your kitchen. If sliced, keep in fridge.
    I do this all the time. It will become drier over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do not cover in cling film. Our climate is quite damp so mold can form sometimes, just scrape this off and wash the surface of the meat with vinegar, totally harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Thanks for the replies.

I have a thick stick of chorizo, about 400g. It's vacuumed packed. So I'll open it up tonight, take a few slices and just leave it stored in cupboard? Not wrapped in anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I have a thick stick of chorizo, about 400g. It's vacuumed packed. So I'll open it up tonight, take a few slices and just leave it stored in cupboard? Not wrapped in anything?
    I would put it in the fridge. Just take it out a bit in advance of use and bring it to room temperature. You can leave in the wrapping it is now.

Advertisement