Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy puppy. No sleep. Going crazy. HELP

• 28-07-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Well...my 9 week puppy is driving me completely crazy. He sleeps in the utility room (still cries every night when I put him in, but hopefully that just blows over), but he wakes up every morning at about 6 or half 6, and if I don't go and take him out straight away he steps in his pee/poo, rips his newspaper up, tips his water bowl over and chews up his bed. Going to sleep late at night and waking up at 6am is really taking it's toll on me. So....will I keep getting up every morning at 6 to let him out of the room, or will I actually try to have a bit of a lie in?
    (I slept until 7 this morning and spent about 20 mins cleaning poop from his fur). HELPPP MEEEE PLEEEASE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Yeah it gets better itf you do some research.

I take it you don't have kids.

Get up at night and let it out to do biz then treat when done.

Dog learns it is good to go out side.

Got a feeling you might be a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KatelynneGA14

Dodd wrote: »
    Yeah it gets better itf you do some research.

I take it you don't have kids.

Get up at night and let it out to do biz then treat when done.

Dog learns it is good to go out side.

Got a feeling you might be a troll.

The pup is too young for any of the treats they sell in shops. I do not have kids but I do take care of my littl brother and sister, which means endless early mornings and late nights (but not as early as 6am). And I have no idea what you mean by troll, but thanks for your answer anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You need to get up through the night and let him out, he can't go all night without going to the toilet, he's too young. You can treat him with bits of his food.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP,
    You might not like what I'm about to say, but bear with me :-)
    I think you'd be better off not waiting until 6am when puppy wakes you... It's probably better for you to bite the bullet, get up at about 3-4am and you wake pup!
    Bring him out for a pee and poop.
    I know this sounds horrendous, but I found, when rearing a litter of pups, that I eventually got into a routine of half-waking, doing the above (with FIVE pups!), then going back to bed and heading straight back to sleep after my auto-pilot puppy pee break! But pre-empting them meant that they didn't get up until 8 or 9 am.
    I could eventually do that middle-of-the-night trip a little later each night until I didn't have to do it at all!
    At 9 weeks, I'd suggest giving him a very small feed before he goes to bed, and again after that mid-night trip, because nothing settles a pup more than an empty bladder and bowel, and a full tummy! It's entirely possible that he's waking not just because he needs to toilet or be cleaned up, but also because he's hungry.
    In addition, pre-emptively getting him out to toilet in the middle of the night seriously speeds up housetraining. However, allowing him to soil himself at night will seriously slow it down.
    Puppies are damn hard work, as you're discovering. Lack of sleep is the norm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Op he is only a puppy he dosent intentionally step in his pee/poop and knock over his water bowl Hi is probably board when he starts ripping up his bed. Why dont you leave a few old shoes laying around As others have said you have to take him out during the night. I know with our dog who is 4 once you get them into the habit of doing something at a certain time you will have no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

9 weeks is very young. We got ours at 12 weeks and still spent the next couple of weeks up at 3 for toilet breaks. Don't fret, it will pass. It's just really hard at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 i r legend

Half a valium will do the job if yer really stuck

Mod edit: this user is site banned. Re-reg troll and utter eejit.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Oh the poor little pup, he isn't crazy he is a little baby.

I have two 8 month old Labs who I got at 2 months old. Yes it is hard but you HAVE to get up at 3 am and let them out for a pee and poo break. Call me crazy but I also put them in a play pen in the bedroom as they were crying at night by themselves. Best decision I ever made. When they woke they cried, immediately I brought them outside and straight back into the play pen (waterproofed the base with a large dog bed inside). Not once did they soil the play pen and we only had two accidents before they were fully house trained at night. Routine and knowing what they needed to do, meant they were house trained very quickly at 4 months actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

We used to put to bed at 12am, out at 2.30am, again at 5am for toilet breaks. And up then at 7.30/8.

We took turns at the 2 breaks. So, one each.

This, coupled with crate training - makes for a happy puppy. And it only lasts a few months.

Pups need routine. They cannot hold it all night. Crates worked wonders for us BUT you have to introduce it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

+1 Get up and take the pup out to the loo. 6:00am is a lie in that you can look forward to in a few weeks if you put the time in toilet training the pup at night now. I was lucky with my pup - she'd only need to go out once and would sleep until almost 6:00am - which is when I get up anyways so it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Hooked wrote: »
    We used to put to bed at 12am, out at 2.30am, again at 5am for toilet breaks. And up then at 7.30/8.

We took turns at the 2 breaks. So, one each.

This, coupled with crate training - makes for a happy puppy. And it only lasts a few months.

Pups need routine. They cannot hold it all night. Crates worked wonders for us BUT you have to introduce it properly.

Oh the memories - though as best we could, we could not get her crate trained. Though in fairness, she learned pretty quickly. She now tends to keep it in, or if she can't she does a pee on the paper. She knows that the paper is only for night time and the rest of the time it's outside. I need to get my ar$e in gear and get a doggy flap on the conservatory door and remove the paper altogether.

Advertisement