Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax query

Options
  • 29-07-2014 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a dual citizen working and living in California. I will be returning home to Ireland soon but while here I've been working as a US citizen. I was told irish j1 students can claim their tax back, as I am not on a visa will I be able to claim tax back? Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

WhatNowHow wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm a dual citizen working and living in California. I will be returning home to Ireland soon but while here I've been working as a US citizen. I was told irish j1 students can claim their tax back, as I am not on a visa will I be able to claim tax back? Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Just file your taxes at the end of the year (like you do every year?!) and you will determine what taxes you owe or what money is owed to you. If you've been here since the start of the year you are a US tax resident for 2014.

Being a US citizen you are also obliged to file a tax return every year regardless of whether or not you live in the US, so you will have to continue to file taxes even after you return to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WhatNowHow

spideog7 wrote: »
    Just file your taxes at the end of the year (like you do every year?!) and you will determine what taxes you owe or what money is owed to you. If you've been here since the start of the year you are a US tax resident for 2014.

Being a US citizen you are also obliged to file a tax return every year regardless of whether or not you live in the US, so you will have to continue to file taxes even after you return to Ireland.

Jaysus that's sounds complicated..this is my first time working in the US and it's only for the summer so I'm not so up to speed. Thanks for the reply!

Jaysus that's sounds complicated..this is my first time working in the US and it's only for the summer so I'm not so up to speed. Thanks for the reply!

It's not too complicated as there are quite clear instructions available. Unfortunately I do not know off the top of my head what forms a non-resident US citizen needs to file. There are plenty of tax services available to help if you don't mind paying, this is likely a slow time of year for them so it might be a good time to go get assistance.

You will have to declare all income made in Ireland also but assuming you've paid Irish tax you can likely claim it under a tax treaty and you will not have to pay taxes on it.

Under normal circumstances if you've been present for fewer than 180 days you would be filing a 1040NR but I believe there are special forms for non-resident US citizens, perhaps in addition to the 1040NR. You should learn what they are as you need to file them every year for the rest of your life (assuming you remain a US citizen).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

US citizens are exempt from having to file a tax return, if they earn under $9000 per calender year. That applies whether you live in the US or not. If you are over there on a J1, I presume you are a student & will be returning to Ireland to resume your studies and you won't be earning that kind of money for the forseeable future. But once you enter employment and are earning over $9000 per year, you'll need to file a US tax return on an annual basis. It's just a declaration of what you earned, where and what taxes you paid on your income. You won't have to pay taxes on your income twice, as you get credit for the fact that you are paying taxes in your country of residence.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    US citizens are exempt from having to file a tax return, if they earn under $9000 per calender year. That applies whether you live in the US or not.

But his/her employer has withheld taxes while on J1 they'll want to claim that back presumably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. If the OP has some money coming to them, they probably should file a tax return, just to get that few bob back. But until they start earning over nine grand a year, they are under no legal obligation to file one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

I am on a 12 Month Graduate J1 visa and returning to Ireland in December. I want to get my tax returns for 2014, but I also want to do them myself. Can any one tell me what is the procedure in doing this?

Thank you!

Advertisement