Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland have online school?

• 29-07-2014 5:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey,
    So America has online school which apparently its pretty popular and gives the same results.
    Does Ireland have a online type school where you can stay at home but do school stuff via the interweb/computa

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nationally, no, though there is a home schooling option.
    Many schools would have Moodle and can set and assess assignments/homework through that. I know I used it for my classes when I was out sick last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SirMeow

spurious wrote: »
    Nationally, no, though there is a home schooling option.
    Many schools would have Moodle and can set and assess assignments/homework through that. I know I used it for my classes when I was out sick last year.

How would I go about requested such service?
    I would like to do everything myself so I do not want some payed teacher to come to my house or my parents teach meh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

SirMeow wrote: »
    How would I go about requested such service?
    I would like to do everything myself so I do not want some payed teacher to come to my house or my parents teach meh..

Moodle is software for what is essentially an online forum. Work can be uploaded to it. It can be used for posting comments, setting multiple choice tests. Not every school uses it and not every teacher uses it in schools that choose to use it. Schools certainly don't use it to teach students who choose not to attend a school. If you are registered in a school you are expected to attend.

You can choose to be home schooled and your parents have to show the Dept of Ed that they can adequately provide for your education.

Or you can register in a school and attend. There is no option for online learning that a school will provide for you. Also if you are intending on sitting state examinations there are a number of subjects which require a practical component which has to be signed off by a teacher.

Advertisement