Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showboat pub the glen

Options
  • 29-07-2014 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Showboat has been closed down yesterday by banks, where will it end in waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

nidge123 wrote: »
    Showboat has been closed down yesterday by banks, where will it end in waterford.

and The Mansion and The Halfway House - bad news for all the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nidge123

Omg i did not hear there was more in group of pubs. Sure they are all owned by the same family. Yes terrible for all the staff involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

All owned by the same family. More bad news for Waterford. More staff out of work in Waterford. Half way had a great food trade going for all week long. The owners had the Grand hotel in tramore which was closed in Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Is the Showboat snooker hall also gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Horrible news :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

If the banks closed them I wonder will they go after their other businesses. If places keep closing down there will be nothing left in the town in 5yrs time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

nidge123 wrote: »

A good place to start for us all would be to bring your business into the city centre, support shops, pubs, arts events, restaurants, cafes, etc in the city centre, create a vibrant city centre. yes, there is a problem with jobs, a big one, but if we all made an effort it would help massively

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The family owned the Grand Hotel in Tramore which closed sometime ago and is up for sale. It was closed down by the owners rather than the banks, at the time. The closures have been coming for sometime and were reported on (without being named) by media sources before they closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can Mamas Boys play a show to raise some money? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Anyone know what the craic is with the staff staging a sit in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Can Mamas Boys play a show to raise some money? ;)

Say what :o

They used to play the Showboat every year and they also played Katie Reilly's Kitchen (Halfway House)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

Anybody hear that Premier Inn had bought the Grand Hotel?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ei9go wrote: »
    Anybody hear that Premier Inn had bought the Grand Hotel?

There are loads of rumours, including a number of chains. I was also told it was marked 'Sold' on the website but it's not. There was a buyer who placed down a nominal deposit. It wasn't a chain from what I was told and there was no guarantee the purchase would go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Will this effect the pitch and foot at the halfway house or is that separate?

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Awaiting clarification on that. Separate business afaik but part of the site/building so might be shut up as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

...Katie Reilly's Kitchen (Halfway House)

I was going to ask where the Halfway House was, but you've answered my question. Showing my age!

I'm sorry for the staff involved - tough situation for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm sure at least the Showboat and the Mansion would be able to survive on their own.

Pitch & Foot is remaining open and will be business as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Sully wrote: »
    Pitch & Foot is remaining open and will be business as usual.

Pitch & Putt!

• Advertisement

I'd pay to watch Pitch the Foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Pitch & Putt!

No it is pitch and foot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

showboat was some place for the charity quiz nights.

I'd pay to watch Pitch the Foot.

Pay away! You're not limited to any time when you pay in:) tis great craic altogether!

Pitch & Foot it is, it's like golf but with a football!

More: http://www.discovertramore.ie/view?p=Pitch_and_Foot

Fair enough so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Fair enough so!

should have stayed quiet, Fella ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

So sad to hear about the Showboat today such an iconic spot and a huge loss to the City. Apparently all the staff had a sit in protest in the pub today when the bailiffs arived to change the locks. Heres hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel and someone who appreciates the uniqueness and importance of the Showboat to Waterford City will come in and re-open it. A similar thing happened to Quinns pub in Drumcondra Dublin when the banks came in, a popular spot on match days in Croke Park and that place survived in the end. So sad though, looks like I have no-where to play snooker now, I was one of their best customers in that regard, only in there playing just last thursday. Hopefully the place will re-open, Snooker and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Very sorry for the staff involved to lose their jobs under such circumstances, but I find it laughable the way Sinn Fein Public Reps are laying this at the door of the Government!!! I'd like to know the following before I'd blame ANYONE---#
    1---did the owners over-extend themselves in their dealings with the banks i.e. did they borrow money for other uses and use these properties as collateral??
    2--were these pubs viable businesses in their own right?

when sinn fein and their cronies can answer these questions, they can speak with authority on the issue. In the meantime they can stop seeking cheap headlines and scoring cheap political points off the back of 50 people losing their jobs and livelihoods!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Cake Man wrote: »
    Is the Showboat snooker hall also gone?

Id imagine the snooker hall is also gone, it was part of the pub albeit a separate place at the back. A real pity as I was one of their best customers, absolutely loved playing in there and was in there only last thursday. Looks like we all have nowhere to play snooker now

• Advertisement

looder wrote: »
    should have stayed quiet, man ;-)

T'sure I only thought it was a typo' error. No one died!

Advertisement