Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showboat pub the glen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Id imagine the snooker hall is also gone, it was part of the pub albeit a separate place at the back. A real pity as I was one of their best customers, absolutely loved playing in there and was in there only last thursday. Looks like we all have nowhere to play snooker now

Ah that's a disaster, used to go down once or twice a week myself when I was living at home. There was a good few regulars that played snooker there for years, where are they all going to go now? Is there another snooker hall in the town, Sullys maybe?

Wonder what they'll do with all the tables aswell, maybe try flog them in an asset stripping exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

two people from england were supposed to of brought the grand thats only rumour. but wont believe anything until its either back open or work is done on the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Cake Man wrote: »
    Ah that's a disaster, used to go down once or twice a week myself when I was living at home. There was a good few regulars that played snooker there for years, where are they all going to go now? Is there another snooker hall in the town, Sullys maybe?

Wonder what they'll do with all the tables aswell, maybe try flog them in an asset stripping exercise?

Sullys is still there too down on O Connell Street, that place used to be big many years ago. ive often been in there since they moved down to O Connell Street from beside Alfie Hales but theyve only got the one full sized snooker table and its not the best, its mostly games machines in Sullys with a few pool tables up the back and the one big table which isnt the best, the cloth is fairly worn on it. I actually played in both in the one day about a month ago and I noticed the difference in the quality of the tables straight away. The tables in the Showboat are much better.

Id be a regular in the Showboat Snooker Hall myself, a fantastic spot, best place in the town for me nothing like a few games of snooker and a few pints and as you said there its the only decent place for snooker. Where are all the regulars going to go now is right? Many avid snooker players in the city, I live on the other side of the bridge myself but Im certainly a regular myself as I play snooker and pool competitively too. I dont know where Im going to go now thats for sure. Sullys certainly isnt the best for more reasons than one

Id imagine if the banks sell off all the tables that the pub wont go to the trouble of buying more tables should it re-open again. Its a huge loss to the town though, the importance of the Showboat as a social spot especially the snooker side as its the only real place in town to play is so underrated. I for one will miss it hugely, I nearly always head in for a game any time im in town. I certainly hope the banks dont flog the tables anyway, ruins any chance of it re-opening again I think

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

There is a full sized snooker table in downes, just around the corner from the showboat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Sullys is still there too down on O Connell Street, that place used to be big many years ago. ive often been in there since they moved down to O Connell Street from beside Alfie Hales but theyve only got the one full sized snooker table and its not the best, its mostly games machines in Sullys with a few pool tables up the back and the one big table which isnt the best, the cloth is fairly worn on it. I actually played in both in the one day about a month ago and I noticed the difference in the quality of the tables straight away. The tables in the Showboat are much better.

Id be a regular in the Showboat Snooker Hall myself, a fantastic spot, best place in the town for me nothing like a few games of snooker and a few pints and as you said there its the only decent place for snooker. Where are all the regulars going to go now is right? Many avid snooker players in the city, I live on the other side of the bridge myself but Im certainly a regular myself as I play snooker and pool competitively too. I dont know where Im going to go now thats for sure. Sullys certainly isnt the best for more reasons than one

Id imagine if the banks sell off all the tables that the pub wont go to the trouble of buying more tables should it re-open again. Its a huge loss to the town though, the importance of the Showboat as a social spot especially the snooker side as its the only real place in town to play is so underrated. I for one will miss it hugely, I nearly always head in for a game any time im in town. I certainly hope the banks dont flog the tables anyway, ruins any chance of it re-opening again I think

Jaysus, it doesn't say much for the tables in Sullys if the tables in the Showboat are much better quality because they were fairly old themselves! But no I agree, they did the job and to be fair held together well despite being there for the last 20 odd years.

Yeah I loved the place myself, there was a great atmosphere in there when all the tables were full. You'd always notice every April the place would be packed with the Snooker World Championships on, everyone would be into it. I remember once having to wait nearly a half hour for a table (around 2003?) but you'd notice in the last few years since the recession, there'd be times on a Friday or Saturday night and you and some friends would be the only people in the whole place. Sign of the times I suppose.
    It's a pity they never seemed to run any snooker or pool competitions, they surely could have drummed up some business. Although in saying that, I do know they were quite selective as to who they let in, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I couldn't imagine the regulars heading to the likes of Sullys, different scene. But then again, I don't know where else there is to go. Such a pity as I'd have no doubt if you went to any other city or big town in Ireland there'd be a snooker hall so it certainly is a big loss to the town.

There is a full sized snooker table in downes, just around the corner from the showboat.

Ah but I think people go to places like Downes to drink and not so much play snooker whereas in the Showboat people came to play and maybe have a pint or two while doing so, if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

T'sure I only thought it was a typo' error. No one died!

Sorry mate didn't mean it to come across abrupt. Used to be a pitch n putt course out there but last year it was reopened as a pitch n foot course. Essentially longer holes than pitch n putt with a football instead of a golf ball. Pitching iron is optional!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The hotel requires a fair bit of work which I assume is the delay in finding a buyer. The English buyer is the strongest signal but no guarantees.

I believe the bars in the city have potential and could find itself a buyer which will be the aim of the banks. Not sure about the Halfway.

Sadly, people turn to politics when they hear about closures. The reality is that pub trade in Ireland has gone to pot and the blame is being laid more at drink driving ban (so many publicans say) and off licences having much better value.

Rates have been in place for years and years (and dropped for many in the rates review) but many businesses borrowed/invested too heavy to pump up failing or struggling businesses. Revenue and businesses who supply to pubs are often left high and dry because the businesses are directing their finances elsewhere.

Eventually, these debts catch up on you and enough is enough when efforts are made to restructure or delay payment and it remains a problem. So the businesses will be sold on with the cash being distributed across those owed money but it's often the case many businesses wont get paid as there isn't enough funds to spread as other debts owed were much bigger.

I know as i've been in a situation where I was left without payment from a failed business and that's the advise I got from an accountant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I was talking to one of the managers in one of the pubs last night.
    He made the point to the accountant why not keep the business open as a "going concern". They answer he got was there are 2 receivers.

1. They will keep the business open as a going concern
    2. They close the business

It just so happened they got the wrong guy.

Regarding the half way house, it was making money. I was told they did 500 lunches there last Sunday. I'm sure someone will take the business on before too long (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Is the snooker hall still going in the bridge hotel, in where Crokers bar used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

cococoady wrote: »
    Is the snooker hall still going in the bridge hotel, in where Crokers bar used to be?

No the one in the bridge hotel is long gone since it was closed down before and re-opened. I can see a similar trend happening with the showboat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

T'sure I only thought it was a typo' error. No one died!

I tried to play on your username.

Obviously went over your head (and everybody else's) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Where is our junior minister Paudie Coffey in the midst of all this? He should be out there publicly backing any action that will save these jobs, he surely knows Waterford cannot afford to lose a single job, never mind 3 pubs worth of staff. His silence here is deafening...sign of things to come? This is prime opportunity to come out and make a statement backing the workers who are sitting in and imploring the management to come to a decision that would halt or at least minimize the damage.

If Eisthec announced another 100 jobs, himself and Conway would be grinning right in the middle of the photograph :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

a politician's job is to fix the economy in order to ensure that this doesn't happen, but businesses always fail...I'm intrigued that in Waterford city, a politician's worth seems to be based on how many sit-ins and strikes they can be seen to attend and support!!

are the electorate really that gullible???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Where is our junior minister Paudie Coffey in the midst of all this? He should be out there publicly backing any action that will save these jobs, he surely knows Waterford cannot afford to lose a single job, never mind 3 pubs worth of staff. His silence here is deafening...sign of things to come? This is prime opportunity to come out and make a statement backing the workers who are sitting in and imploring the management to come to a decision that would halt or at least minimize the damage.

If Eisthec announced another 100 jobs, himself and Conway would be grinning right in the middle of the photograph :rolleyes:

What exactly can he do? It's not the job of politicians to get into the thick of a private businesses failings, unless there is a clear cross over and the state can do something. When you see Sinn Fein and other opposition groups do it it's only because they are buying into a potential vote pool by making people believe politicians have power here. But 99% of the time they don't. They can't meddle into the affairs of Banks, Revenue and other small businesses who are owed money and who behind closed doors I am sure have done everything they can to give businesses more time to get back on their feet. But at the end of the day, there is a cut off point.

TDs might make representations but this is done behind closed doors. Between the businesses, the TDs and the public body. Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean they haven't tired. No TD wants mass unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

What is he supposed to do, buy the pubs and give people back their jobs? Give the failing business support while those who were better run are ignored.

There is nothing that can be done, it is just general economics and if the businesses are as good as what people here think they are they will be bought, re-opened, and jobs will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

The banks are perfectly within their rights to take over businesses failing to pay their bank debts.
    Hopefully all three will reopen down the line with a business model that works.
    This has nothing to do with local politicians, its the economy in action.

Baby4 wrote: »

Im not going to launch into an ill-informed rant about how you are whats wrong with this city and voters like yourself give rise to useless and incompetent politicians who can peddle a few false promises and they get to sit pretty for another 2 years. I will, however, pick you up on a few of your points.

1. The family who own these business are NOT broke, they are not struggling and they are nowhere near even needing to go bankrupt. I know this as a stone cold fact. If i tell you how in know thus I would be up for libel. But the fact remains that its greed and not hard times that led to these closures. People's livelihoods being amongst this decision is of no consequence to these people.

2. I know full well its not a TDs job to join in sit ins or tell businesses how to operate. That isnt my point. The simple fact is that when we elect politicians into out city they are supposed to represent the fears, concerns and hopes of their constituents. What other reason would we elect them? Waterford has suffered massively with job losses, training funds being slashed, we have a bad reputation (this goes back to the striking dock workers in the 1960s, an act which unfortunately tarred all recent workplace disputes with the same brush), we are not even recognised by certain tourist board and its been fair game to dump all over us because we dont have anyone to represent us in the Dail.

We finally have a junior minister but he has very little power still, essentially anything Enda Kenny says, Paudie has to say yes sir, and judging by his recent actions (signing off a petition to privatize bus services) its an ominous sign of things to come. He wants the wage packet, the perks, the expenses, the rubbing shoulders in a certain hotel with local bigwigs and fellow FG heads. But he wont get in there and support local real workers who are struggling to keep a roof over their heads and feed their family. He wont because he doesnt want to rock the boat as he may have to face the very people behind this decision later down the road. Its all scratch my back ill scratch yours. Thats how the world works.

I supported the sit in at the Park Inn, a cause for which the workers had to fight a long time to get their redundancies. And the ONLY public faces who sat behind them were Independents, not the faceless FF or FG puppets who only care about their own nest. I really wish the workers of The Showboat well, because Christ only knows they wont get any official support. Anyone who can vote in a party which stands behind water and college fees, slashes to disabled services etc etc is as much part of the problem as the people who make these barbaric decisions.

Sully wrote: »
    What exactly can he do? It's not the job of politicians to get into the thick of a private businesses failings, unless there is a clear cross over and the state can do something. When you see Sinn Fein and other opposition groups do it it's only because they are buying into a potential vote pool by making people believe politicians have power here. But 99% of the time they don't. They can't meddle into the affairs of Banks, Revenue and other small businesses who are owed money and who behind closed doors I am sure have done everything they can to give businesses more time to get back on their feet. But at the end of the day, there is a cut off point.

TDs might make representations but this is done behind closed doors. Between the businesses, the TDs and the public body. Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean they haven't tired. No TD wants mass unemployment.

No offense Sully but you are clearly and wholeheartedly a 100% FG man, and therefore I cannot take any of your points seriously. If you are a FG man, you are by extension a supporter of what they do, the laws they pass, the cuts they make and their corrupt ethos. If you are not part of the solution....

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

These sit ins are to acehieve what ?

• Advertisement

Im not going to launch into an ill-informed rant about how you are whats wrong with this city and voters like yourself give rise to useless and incompetent politicians who can peddle a few false promises and they get to sit pretty for another 2 years. I will, however, pick you up on a few of your points.

1. The family who own these business are NOT broke, they are not struggling and they are nowhere near even needing to go bankrupt. I know this as a stone cold fact. If i tell you how in know thus I would be up for libel. But the fact remains that its greed and not hard times that led to these closures. People's livelihoods being amongst this decision is of no consequence to these people.

2. I know full well its not a TDs job to join in sit ins or tell businesses how to operate. That isnt my point. The simple fact is that when we elect politicians into out city they are supposed to represent the fears, concerns and hopes of their constituents. What other reason would we elect them? Waterford has suffered massively with job losses, training funds being slashed, we have a bad reputation (this goes back to the striking dock workers in the 1960s, an act which unfortunately tarred all recent workplace disputes with the same brush), we are not even recognised by certain tourist board and its been fair game to dump all over us because we dont have anyone to represent us in the Dail.

We finally have a junior minister but he has very little power still, essentially anything Enda Kenny says, Paudie has to say yes sir, and judging by his recent actions (signing off a petition to privatize bus services) its an ominous sign of things to come. He wants the wage packet, the perks, the expenses, the rubbing shoulders in a certain hotel with local bigwigs and fellow FG heads. But he wont get in there and support local real workers who are struggling to keep a roof over their heads and feed their family. He wont because he doesnt want to rock the boat as he may have to face the very people behind this decision later down the road. Its all scratch my back ill scratch yours. Thats how the world works.

I supported the sit in at the Park Inn, a cause for which the workers had to fight a long time to get their redundancies. And the ONLY public faces who sat behind them were Independents, not the faceless FF or FG puppets who only care about their own nest. I really wish the workers of The Showboat well, because Christ only knows they wont get any official support. Anyone who can vote in a party which stands behind water and college fees, slashes to disabled services etc etc is as much part of the problem as the people who make these barbaric decisions.

So effectively, you are backtracking on your earlier post wondering where our politicians are, as by our own admission they can't do anything in this situation anyway. It's a private agreement between a bank/revenue and the group. It's not a fresh issue, it's a long term issue. If the family have the money, no doubt they can settle the bill they have with the banks, revenue and businesses they owe money to. But it appears that they don't if the banks are coming in and taking it over.

Your general rant about politicians has nothing at all to do with this. We have one TD who does what he wants for years and hasn't got anything from doing so and another who does his party business and is now a Junior Minister. Ahead of the TD who despite serving the party longer. So of course he is going to continue working on government policy. Nobody expected anything else.
    No offense Sully but you are clearly and wholeheartedly a 100% FG man, and therefore I cannot take any of your points seriously. If you are a FG man, you are by extension a supporter of what they do, the laws they pass, the cuts they make and their corrupt ethos. If you are not part of the solution....

I'm entitled to my opinion which has been expressed by others too, who are not '100% FG'.

You see, Sully, anything FG related, including Paudie Coffey, will never ever be criticized by you because you are a fan of FG and hence Coffey. I personally cant name one good thing the man has done for this city, he is very much a carbon copy of any junior minister who follows their leader and never rocks the boat. He knows as well as anyone in Waterford with an ounce of common sense if he goes against Kenny hes out on his ear. I think you hit the nail on the head with your point "he will continue on government policy". So thats water charges, cuts to disabled services and job losses all the way then?

You see, Sully, anything FG related, including Paudie Coffey, will never ever be criticized by you because you are a fan of FG and hence Coffey. I personally cant name one good thing the man has done for this city, he is very much a carbon copy of any junior minister who follows their leader and never rocks the boat. He knows as well as anyone in Waterford with an ounce of common sense if he goes against Kenny hes out on his ear. I think you hit the nail on the head with your point "he will continue on government policy". So thats water charges, cuts to disabled services and job losses all the way then?

I suggest you take a look back over my posts and you will see that I have criticized many areas of government policy. You want someone who does their own thing - we have that. It hasn't gotten us anywhere.

It's disappointing you are dragging a thread about the loss of jobs after a private business effectively went bust into a political rant and discussion that is completely unconnected and completely unrelated, by your own admission. So on that note, I will depart from any further discussions on here that don't relate to the issues at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Hows that pub up from the Showboat doin, always seems to be empty, the long stand or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Hows that pub up from the Showboat doin, always seems to be empty, the long stand or something

Isn't it The Old Ground or something like that? Yeah it's always quiet even on a Saturday it's just the usual locals in there and that's not much either. It is a nice place for a pint tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Cake Man wrote: »

Two tables upstairs in Norisses bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

The family might not be near bankruptcy but the businesses might be. They weren't closed for no reason. Unless there's actual proof you can provide that it's the boogeyman bankers greed that's the reason they were closed, you're just someone looking for a rant/argument

ec18 wrote: »
    The family might not be near bankruptcy but the businesses might be. They weren't closed for no reason. Unless there's actual proof you can provide that it's the boogeyman bankers greed that's the reason they were closed, you're just someone looking for a rant/argument

Their accounts are available online. The Showboat company name is "The Glen Bar Limited". No accounts have been filed since 2012 which is always a bad sign and the company itself was showing a Shareholder Deficit of €200k in 2012 and things have probably gotten worse since then.

The Mansion House which is "Arch Taverns Limited" again haven't filed accounts since 2012 but were showing a Shareholder Deficit of €489k at that time.

I can't seem to see what company the Half Way House is but you get the picture from above.

I don't necessarily think it was banker greed that shut them down but that they weren't viable businesses in their current format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Advertisement

Baby4 wrote: »

Lol... I'm a man! :D

Advertisement