Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Mobile phone behaviour

Options
  • 29-07-2014 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey lads,

Hope everyone is well! I have a question there, I'm not really huge into technology and hate having a mobile phone much to my girlfriend/friends/work colleagues annoyance I stopped using it and the sim card was eventually switched off by the provider.

Anyways due to work I had to get it back operational so I rang customer service and they switched it back on without any problem. She told me that when I top up I'll be able to use it...Anyways fast forward 2-3 weeks later I haven't topped up but for some reason as of this morning I can send texts and calls. Why is this possible does anyone know? I haven't topped up and my phone is pay as you go. I know for a fact I couldn't send texts last week. Also another quirk.. for some odd reason the look of the phone when I type texts has changed ( i.e. the layout of the in screen buttons and smiley faces)

Anyone have any notion?

Thanks!

Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What network?

You could be using iou credit or similar. Did you have a zero balance from beginning?

The layout could be something you pressed accidentally or could be a new update on the phone,,,could be loads of reasons. What phone is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shampooman

Hey Davy,

Thanks for the reply :) I have a pretty old brick phone and I'm with Vodafone. I deff don't have any IOU credit left either. Bit strange as I can call and text away mad for the moment anyways but I'm 100% sure that the phone has not been topped up (by me) nor am I using any IOU credit or points or other such things. I actually tried to call 1741 to check my balance but the call wouldn't connect. The only explanation I can think of is that the network has automatically given me free credit to get me back using the phone again and thus after it runs out I will be inclined once again to top it up regularly? That's all I can think of :)

• Site Banned Posts: 6 Nearuhere

I don't think I can live without my cellphone, without wifi...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I can unplug myself for a few hours, but months at a time? And then you say you had to get it operational again for work and somehow managed to let that slide for 2-3 weeks? I don't know a single person over the age of 10 and under the age of 60 who doesn't have/use a mobile phone. Many of my clients are over 65 and I only know of one who didn't know how to send texts, but she was able to read incoming texts and make/receive calls.

I can't explain why you can use yiur phone now without having been topped up. ,maybe they just credited you phone in order to activate it, or gave you free credit you were due anyway

Hey lads,

Thanks for the replies! With regards to work, I have 2 jobs where both of which I can get by without a phone. In saying that both of the people I work for/with were getting increasingly frustrated with this situation so I gave in to them and rang the lads at Vodafone to get me switched back on.

I tried to text 50233 but I got this message " We are unable to execute your balance request at this time" and I have tried calling 1741 but the call will not connect. When the sim was activated she told me that once I top up I will be good to go. I know the next few days after I wasn't topped up because I was messing around with it and a text would not send due to have zero credit :P They don't owe me anything either.

Anyways since I first posted I have made few calls, texts... donated money to Gaza via firing off texts to UNICEF number and still credit continues. I'm just more curious than anything! I'm not at all bothered and enjoying the free stuff but I'm one of these people that likes to know why! :D

Cheers again for the texts lads!

• Advertisement

Just an update - I still have unlimited credit for texts and calls. Bit weird but suppose I shouldn't complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

Some people have all the luck! Say nothing and keep using it IMO. Maybe its god's way of rewarding you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Did you have unused credit from before you got cut off?

Joefuss : Fair play to God always thought he was a good guy ;)

Fresh Pots : Nope I had zero credit left, I couldn't even make a text. Since all this happened I have texted plenty, made calls to loads of people, fired off texts for competitions etc etc

I genuinely can't understand it. Pity I told my girlfriend about it... she knows I hate mobile phones so I would have scored major brownie points if she thought I was topping up just for her :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Maybe the GF sent you credit?
    Try ringing *174#

• Advertisement

Ha no way my girlfriend topped me up. I tried ringing 174 but the call when not connect also I tried texting to see my credit but I get something along the line of "unable to complete request" or something to that effect :)

P.S. Just off the phone after almost an hour conversation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not 174. Tap *174# and press call and it should give you a readout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Sounds like the person in customer care accidentally put you on a postpaid (contract) account.

I presume you didn't give them any bank details etc otherwise you could be charged.

Morally it's up to you as to whether or not you ring them to ask them whether this is the case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Can you logon on the Vodafone website to check if you are setup as billpay or prepay customer? If you had no credit maybe they moved you to bill pay plan or they give you some free credit, if you are calling and texting as much as it sounds from your replies above it should be gone by now. You might get a bill for all those calls/text if you are bill pay customer.

if you are not register on the Vodafone website you could register, it should only take a few minutes.

Hey The sandman : Tried that but got " Connection problem or invalid code "

Rubberdiddles : Thanks for that! I once topped up via credit card ( 2-3 years ago over the phone ) but never given them bank details. I have never had a contract with them either. Always been pay as you go!

Nava : They won't let me sign on to vodafone website. When I tried to re-register I got the following message " Sorry, your account seems to have been marked inactive." Also as mentioned aboove I was never a bill pay customer :)

Strange one!

The dream is over - they shut it down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Expect a Christmas Card next week so - with a big fat bill in it:D:D:D

Ha ha era I wouldn't pay it, I would plead dumb - wouldn't exactly be an acting job for me! :p

Advertisement