Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses on Island. Would you buy at right price

Options
  • 29-07-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Just curious now that NAMA own the Island, if the houses (lodges) on the island were for sale would you buy one at the right price?

Second question: What's the right price? I guess they would all sell in a week at €150k each?

Some place to bring up a young family or ideal for a couple young or old?

Would love to hear your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd be very wary about even though it might sound rather nice, as a long term deal would have to take account of rising sea levels and the potential of tidal surges.

Also as you are on an isolated piece of land, would you feel comfortable with regard to a medical emergency in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

I'd be very wary about even though it might sound rather nice, as a long term deal would have to take account of rising sea levels and the potential of tidal surges.

Also as you are on an isolated piece of land, would you feel comfortable with regard to a medical emergency in the middle of the night.

Harry, the houses are probably 100ft above river level so impossible to flood.
    The Island is less than a mile from the hospital and the ferry takes 3 minutes to cross, where as if you lived in Dunmore you are 15minutes away?

Not an issue for either in my opinion.

That ferry is the weak link isn't it? A mechanical failure at the wrong moment and your goose could be cooked. Castle Gardens which is the name of the mini estate looks pretty meh I have to say. A classic Celtic Tiger era cash in development.

That ferry is the weak link isn't it? A mechanical failure at the wrong moment and your goose could be cooked. Castle Gardens which is the name of the mini estate looks pretty meh I have to say. A classic Celtic Tiger era cash in development.

Not really is it is only 5 minutes walk to the bus route on the main Dunmore rd? so you could get a boat across if that happened. but unlikely it will break down... the same can be said if your car breaks down or a bus or a train?

It is very Celtic tiger style but I think I would choose it above any other similar property given the location, security, Zero anti social issues, amazing location for kids to be brought up, and very relaxing location.
    I think that the kitchens alone cost 38k when built so it is all very high spec. and well maintained.

Just trying to get a feel for what price the properties would sell out at?
    Obviously 100k but would they get 150k each?

No anti social issues? Only until they move in! :p

• Advertisement

No anti social issues? Only until they move in! :p

Don't think it would attract that kind of person...!!!
    Retirement village? another option? for older people that want peace and quite? Doctors/nurses from the hospital, only 10-15min walk? for long-term rentals.

Or do you think its doomed?

I don't know enough about the circumstances re NAMA to be honest.

If I won a maximum euro million jackpot I'd probably put an offer in for the whole island, kick everyone off it esp the golfers (!) and turn it into a wildlife sanctuary. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The main problem here would be the ferry.

It would have to be in operation 24/7 365 days of the year in case of emergencies. Then throw in fuel costs (people would be coming and going at all sorts of hours, perhaps several times a day) - how much would all that add to management fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Initially I'd thought yea why not, lots of scope to be secluded and do music all day long, and then figured I could just as cheaply do it on a tropical island in the pacific and get a permanent sun tan. That's the goal.

old gregg wrote: »
    Initially I'd thought yea why not, lots of scope to be secluded and do music all day long, and then figured I could just as cheaply do it on a tropical island in the pacific and get a permanent sun tan. That's the goal.

What the hell has that got to do with the question?
    So what are you doing in Waterford if that's the case...!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Chill man, he's just saying... :)

Ask a grownup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Ask a grownup

We could all do with living the dream of a paradise island etc but he was asking a valid question and looking for some constructive replies :)

It was a bit of a stupid reply though :)

Actually, reading back through this thread, you'd originally posed the question
    if the houses (lodges) on the island were for sale would you buy one at the right price?

and have gone on to disagree with every opinion posted. Why? Why bother starting a thread if all you are interested in are the opinions of those who are going to follow whatever direction you want things to go. One could be forgiven for wondering if you were gauging the market. Not saying you are but if you'd like us all to provide you with what you want to hear I'm sure we'd all be happy to help out just to ease your anger.

We could all do with living the dream of a paradise island etc but he was asking a valid question and looking for some constructive replies :)

It was a bit of a stupid reply though :)

Indeed yes. I think answering that if I was looking at buying a property on an island then I'd prefer it to be elsewhere is a valid reply. Would I spend 150K on a house on this island? No. Valid reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Indeed yes. I think answering that if I was looking at buying a property on an island then I'd prefer it to be elsewhere is a valid reply. Would I spend 150K on a house on this island? No. Valid reply.

Well maybe the reply wasn't as clear as your post intended. I stand corrected :o

Well maybe the reply wasn't as clear as your post intended. I stand corrected :o

Nah, I live in outer space so tend towards obscurity :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

What's the problem here?

The OP asked would anyone live on the island if the price was right? Gregg replied with a maybe, but that he could probably do it somewhere with a warmer climate for the same money. Basically he answered the question in the OP and then elaborated on why he wouldn't live on the island.

That's more of a reply than you'd get in a lot of threads. :confused:

Ah there's no real problem here at all. You've understood my original reply to the OP correctly and Luckycharms_74 and I are all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

My family and I rented 3 of them back in March for a long weekend and the houses are beautiful inside too. I could happily live there

• Advertisement
Advertisement