Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Flight Ticket for the United States

Options
  • 29-07-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All,

I am looking for information for an open airline ticket for the United States. I am moving to California for 14 months from Europe and would like to take this opportunity to see as much as possible.

I know there is such thing as an open round the world ticket. But has anyone ever heard of one just for the United States?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi All,

I am looking for information for an open airline ticket for the United States. I am moving to California for 14 months from Europe and would like to take this opportunity to see as much as possible.

I know there is such thing as an open round the world ticket. But has anyone ever heard of one just for the United States?

Thanks

Generally you would need to book a more expensive fare in order to have it changeable. Even in those circumstances (incl RTW tickets), the return leg needs to be used within 1 year although it may be refundable or revalidatable. If you are genuinely uncertain as to the likely date of return, your best best is to book the cheapest return available and then not use the return leg. In most cases it is likely to be cheaper than the far for an unrestricted ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I think you're using the wrong description. Are you actually looking for a ticket that will allow you to travel within the US as much as you want for a single price? Like an Oz pass a few years ago where a flight to Oz included a couple of free internal flights?
    An open return means you can chose your return flight when you wish, they don't really exist for flights but as pointed out above you can buy a flexi ticket which will allow changes to your return date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just book 2 return tickets and waste the second leg on each one, it will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dublingirl121

I think you're using the wrong description. Are you actually looking for a ticket that will allow you to travel within the US as much as you want for a single price? Like an Oz pass a few years ago where a flight to Oz included a couple of free internal flights?
    An open return means you can chose your return flight when you wish, they don't really exist for flights but as pointed out above you can buy a flexi ticket which will allow changes to your return date.

Opps... you're right. I want to travel to numerous locations throughout the year and was wondering if I could just buy one ticket. I know my dad got one like 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Opps... you're right. I want to travel to numerous locations throughout the year and was wondering if I could just buy one ticket. I know my dad got one like 20 years ago.

Its possible to get such a ticket still the likes of goforless or usit sell them and usually are cheaper than the ones you buy direct from the airlines. They usually have a fee of like 25 euro to change them which isnt bad. I got one of these for working in Canada or just go on skyscanner and get a cheap one way flight and when your ready to head home get another one on skyscanner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

are you sure the US border guards will allow you to enter america on a one way ticket? Sure I was trying to leave the place and they found it suss I was flying to germany rather than Ireland and were making shapes that I wasnt going to be allowed to fly.
    Actually, just for the crack, buy a one way ticket in cash and really make them wonder what in gods name youre up to.

BTW, what visa have you got as the rest of us might like to do the same and work/ stay in the US for 14+months sometime in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,799 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Actually, just for the crack, buy a one way ticket in cash and really make them wonder what in gods name youre up to.

Welcome to the land of SSSS if you do that. I've actually seen someone on a short international flight in to the US curse, throw their boarding pass on the ground, and decide not to bother flying when that came up.

What the OP appears to want is some form of roaming pass for an airline within the US though - these no longer exist. Skyscanner and taking your chances on Spirit & Allegiant's coffin-ship like seating is the cheapest way to do that these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

I guess the OP is looking for something like this... http://www.staralliance.com/en/fares/airpasses/north-america-airpass/

It needs a lot of pre-planning, so it's probably easier to book cheap flights whenever you want to travel. Some of the airlines do last minute weekend deals if you are flexible on destination - like this: http://shopping.usairways.com/promotion/ESaver/Default.aspx

are you sure the US border guards will allow you to enter america on a one way ticket? Sure I was trying to leave the place and they found it suss I was flying to germany rather than Ireland and were making shapes that I wasnt going to be allowed to fly.

BTW, what visa have you got as the rest of us might like to do the same and work/ stay in the US for 14+months sometime in the future?

It is the graduate visa. Only available to full time students that have graduated from university in the last 12 months!

steve-o wrote: »
    I guess the OP is looking for something like this...

It needs a lot of pre-planning, so it's probably easier to book cheap flights whenever you want to travel. Some of the airlines do last minute weekend deals if you are flexible on destination - like this: QUOTE]

Yes you are probably right. Thanks for the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

It is the graduate visa. Only available to full time students that have graduated from university in the last 12 months!
    i see what youre doing.
    theres 30days leeway beforehand, and also 30days after, and then 12months degree related work in the middle.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2012/07/18/guide-to-applying-for-12-month-us-visa/

but anyhow, if youre getting a visa through someone like USIT they'll sell a return ticket that is flexible and allows changes for a small fee (says their website)

EDIT : actually looking at it you can just get a one way with Aer Lingus and buy your return leg when you need it. They sell their flights as one way anyhow. For immigration you aparantly need a "letter of return" for a job offer or further college studies which fulfils the requirement to show intent to return back to Ireland afterwards.

Advertisement