Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear Nighthawk 1900ac vs Asus RT-AC68U 1900ac

Options
  • 29-07-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

was wondering if any of you had experience with either or both?

looking to get one but not sure which one.

speed is one key factor for me - upgrading to 200Mbps through UPC horizon and range is also a big factor for me as I have my office 18-20m in my workshop at the end of the garden and need a strong signal there.

Thank you
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You wont see a huge amount of the benefit through an external wall and down the garden, especially with 5Ghz.

If you arent planning on moving you could invest in a wireless bridge down to the office and then put an .11AC AP in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Ye cannae change laws of physics Captain

Better to do what Ed says, make a point to point link with 2 wireless bridges and add another AP in the office giving you great speeds.

Do you have all AC devices? Otherwise it falls back to N. Another thing to consider is your speed in the office would be limited to the max speed of the p2p link.

Theyre both dual band so you can host two groups, one for slow devices on 2.4 and one for fast devices on 5.

ED E wrote: »
    Theyre both dual band so you can host two groups, one for slow devices on 2.4 and one for fast devices on 5.

If they have devices that support 5Ghz

If they have devices that support 5Ghz

If your device supports AC its very likely to support 5Ghz.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I researched this a fair bit and went with the nighthawk because wireless performance is roughly the same on both but the r7000 has far better USB performance due to the faster processor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

hi guys,

Are these routers worth it for extending the range internally? Only have 1 ac device, so I'd be looking for improvements on the 5ghz N range but ac is a plus for future proofing.

Moving from a Netgear WNDR3700 with dd-wrt. Bad experience with Netgear firmware (hence having to install dd-wrt) would push me in the ASUS direction provided I'll see an improvement in the range.

As long as you run a cable between them don't try repeat a wireless signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Looking to replace my router with one with a better range.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

wrt40 wrote: »
    Looking to replace my router with one with a better range.

I'd move past that. The Asus routers have some of the best range out there but if you are having a range issue with something like a WNDR3700, you should look into extending your network through a second AP rather then assuming a single device can do everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

Thank you ED for your response - sounds good but not that technical on the networking element what exactly do I need? wireless bridge and AP something you'd recommend?

PS I got a new router to connect to the horizon from UPC and the wifi is better than with the Horizon box alone - no question there. apart from taking another plug. starting to get messy near the TV between the TV, the DVD player, the horizon box the UPC router and the phone

Advertisement