Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst road you have ever driven?

• 29-07-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So last night I was going going for a spin, casual enough, no real aim other than following the backroads.

I followed an old road I hadn't been down in about 10 years, I had an idea where it went and new it was a small rural road but I never thought I would end up on an abandoned road that nearly got me stranded.

It started off alright, few massive potholes and myself the my friends jokes about how terrible the road was. We kept going and the ditches started closing in on us, the grass got thicker, and the concrete on the road got less visible. This road hadn't been maintained in years, it was abandoned.

Tbh it got to a stage where I was getting pretty anxious that the car was going to get stranded. I wasnt sure wheather to continue or reverse, afraid that the entire bottom of my car was going to be ripped asunder, or my tires would simultaneously deflate.

I swear to god it was like driving through a jungle, it wasnt even overly dark out and I had to use full headlights, and crawl the entire way in first gear.

So whats the worst road you have ever driven? Did it do damage to your car or nearly kill you all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fiesta451

I had my dashcam for it thankfully. Starts off alright for the first few minutes, and gets worse as time goes on.

At 5:10 was when it really got hairy. Wasnt sure what I was driving into, whether the car was going to sink in a swamp or keep upright.
    Although its hard to see, there was actual concrete paved the entire way, nature is just taking over.

new user and cant seem to post links or anything so this will have to do i guess, sorry.
    watch?v=ctNLAuHcxsw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Video embedded for you -

The N20 through Buttevant in Cork is pretty bad, considering its a national road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The N72 once you hit the County Cork section.

The single worst road experience I've had was about 20 years back on the R410 between Naas and Blessington. The surface was just a succession of potholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The N25 between Killeagh and (particularly coming into) Castlemartyr. Rivals Buttevant for a bad national route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The N72 once you hit the County Cork section.

The single worst road experience I've had was about 20 years back on the R410 between Naas and Blessington. The surface was just a succession of potholes.

the N72 has been improved a lot in recent years. It's hard to see what bit you mean...the Cork boundary is between Tallow and Fermoy and that road is OK...not great just OK , the stretch from Fermoy to Mallow is now mostly good and the stretch west of Mallow is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I should have said "back in the day" etc. It was horribly narrow and windy at times, been a long time since I needed to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Try some Meath roads. One I remember where half the road vanished and a huge rut was left. The same road becomes a river when it rains hard. Another one just completely disappeared into grass :eek:

Edited for linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

OP, the road ended at 21.43.30, you then went into some ones yard and drove onto a private (overgrown) laneway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The N20 through Buttervant in Co. Cork, has to be one of the worst section of road in the country. Like driving through a mine field trying to avoid potholes on that road. Gort in Co. Galway used to be similar until the bypass opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

You weren't kidding about it being like a jungle closing in on you. Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

The n25 @ castlemartyr. Been in a terrible state for years, I've no idea why the haven't resurfaced such a small part..

The road through gort I travelled twice and both times I was amazed how locals put up with it.

Advertisement