Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Vegetables

Options
  • 29-07-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Recently started eating loads more vegetables than before and am wondering if I can make decent cost savings too. I'm based in dublin and want to know if there are the likes of a Chinese store that sells large bags of dried beans etc etc... Where is the best place to buy root vegetable s like beetroot?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Moore St at the end of their trading day, Indian and Polish shops, Aldi and Lidl specials...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

mhge wrote: »
    Moore St at the end of their trading day, Indian and Polish shops, Aldi and Lidl specials...

The stuff on moore st could walk of the stalls at the end of the day, they're that old :eek:
    OP Id stick with Aldi and Lidl for the beg and then the more obscure stuff the chinese speciality shops etc... aldi and lidl's fruit and veg is top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

there's a heap of Chinese/Polish/Eastern European/Korean supermarkets on parnell & capel st that are quite cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

Head down around the Smithfield market I'm sure you'd get fresh veggies down around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭bilbot79

no12 wrote: »
    Head down around the Smithfield market I'm sure you'd get fresh veggies down around there.

Thanks I'm near there too. When does it be on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Opens Monday-Friday 05.00-15.00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Opens Monday-Friday 05.00-15.00

Sigh. Maybe on my day off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Anyone any opinions on which supermarket chain would be best for local/irish veg?

Both my local lidl and supervalue seem pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

The Dublin City Fruit Markets which are near, but not in Smithfield opens on Saturday mornings too.
    There is at least one retail stall which is in the very middle of the building.

There is a regular retail stall that is quite reasonable on Mary's Abbey - across Luas tracks from Capel Building... it opens Mon-Sat and waits open until about 7pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Moore Street could be a lot better than it is. It would be great to have something enclosed like the English Market in Cork and improve the quality of the stalls and the produce. But the Moore Street dealers might not change their traditional ways. Although we used to know lots of the ladies down there we still got dodgy fruit in my childhood years in the 50's/60's, more's the pity as they are shooting themselves in the foot, its a great opportunity if they know how to use it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sheeperson

What about wonky vegetables in Tesco, bit cheaper and good quality, so long as you don't mind them looking a little different.

Last resort, if you have any bit of garden, in the spring, prepare a veggie patch and grow your own. If you don't have a garden you could grow herbs in pots. Herbs are terribly expensive to buy and add a lot to the cost of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sheeperson wrote: »
    What about wonky vegetables in Tesco, bit cheaper and good quality, so long as you don't mind them looking a little different.

Generally *still* dearer than buying non-wonky stuff from a proper greengrocer

The "wonky veg" thing is a hipster attempt at do-goodery that does nothing. The battered veg go to food service industries, industrial food production (they don't use perfect looking onions in frozen curries or perfect tomatoes to make ketchup), industrial alcohol production and so on. This idea that they get thrown out is based on nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

L1011 wrote: »
    This idea that they get thrown out is based on nothing.

I guess he mustn't be gospel but I could swear I saw a Hugh Fearnsley Whittingstal docu thing on the BBC about ploughing wonky carrots back into the ground and skips full of reject parsnips etc. Is that rubbish? Genuinely curious cos I had assumed it was true!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/celeb-life/heres-why-a-pile-of-parsnips-made-viewers-very-angry-on-hughs-war-on-waste-362761.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I guess he mustn't be gospel but I could swear I saw a Hugh Fearnsley Whittingstal docu thing on the BBC about ploughing wonky carrots back into the ground and skips full of reject parsnips etc. Is that rubbish? Genuinely curious cos I had assumed it was true!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/celeb-life/heres-why-a-pile-of-parsnips-made-viewers-very-angry-on-hughs-war-on-waste-362761.html

It happens quite rarely and is hyped up as if theres actually a significant amount being wasted.

A lot of veg are now mechanically/optically sorted with only the good stuff even sent to retail in the first place.

There is not a chance in hell that Industrial Processing Co Ltd (insert real name here) that makes a processed meal with parsnips in them is buying retail-perfect parsnips to do it with.

Yep, I saw that programme too. Probably was Hugh F-W, but can't really remember. I know he did a programme on fish which was quite an eye-opener too. But they didn't dig fish back into the soil (:D) they threw them, dead, back into the sea.:eek: It's good to know about these things.

Advertisement