Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving while banned

• 29-07-2014 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JackCharlton

My partners brother is disqualified from driving for the past year
    I was down at his house over the weekend in a rural part of the country and I was surprised to see him pull into the driveway just as I got there.
    I asked him was the ban up and he said yes but his insurance is gone thru the roof..
    I looked at the disk later on and its from another car
    he also is out of tax
    and no nct...

he wrote off a car about 2 years ago ..drove straight through a cross roads
    into a field .. while drunk

later on we all went to the pub and surprise surprise he drove home ,.... after 6 pints........
    I got a taxi home .. no way was I getting into the car with him

I took his reg and I don't know to report him or not
    he is family like .. and I have tried to talk to him about it but he wont listen
    I don't know what to do here ... hes a dope... for driving while banned..
    really in two minds what to do ... if I report him and my partner finds out they will go mental and so will the family... but I couldn't live with myself if he killed someone or caused 1000s in damage
    what to do .. what to do...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Report him, you will likely save somebody's life......either some poor sod he drives into or his own.
    For me it wouldn't be about the cost of damage he might cause, its purely the risk of loss of life's and he clearly has no regard for his or others.

If he has a death wish then let him kill himself another way without trying to take other people with him,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

This is probably better suited in Personal Issues to be fair; its a difficult one for anyone to say what you should or shouldnt do. Its easy for any of us to say report the guy (and if he was anyone else I suspect there would be no question as to what do to), however only you know how your partner would react if they found out that you had reported their brother to the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Did you put him under pressure? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Report him. Could be your sister in the car next time it happens...and it will.

Maybe leave it off a little bit just in case he puts two and two together of you taking notice of his ban/tax situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

tossy wrote: »

Du du du du duuuuu dududududu

I'd probably report him. Or else call him out on it in front of everyone, he might actually be embarrassed enough to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Have you talked to your partner about this? I think that's where I'd start on this one. Not going to be easy but someone with such blatant disregard for others needs to be pulled up before he causes serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JackCharlton

I couldn't even suggest it to my partner , my partner knows how crazy it is .. but I cant suggest my partner rings the police on the brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

It took me a few mins but I got there tossy!!

I have being in a similar situation and had to call somebody out on it.
    While it was difficult it had to be done.

Think of the consequences:

What if he hits and kills somebody.
    The financial impact of being arrested/jailed.

Yeah you'll have an argument but it is worth it, in a way!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JackCharlton

if I call him out over it he wont care... water off a ducks back

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

All it takes for evil to happen is for good men to stand by and do nothing. Or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well in that case a lesson earned might be a lesson learned. I'd report the cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He's a knacker. Report him. If your partner or their family "go mental" over it they're knackers too and you're well rid of them. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

if I call him out over it he wont care... water off a ducks back

Sounds like it, if a ban didn't do the trick no pep talk will. My approach would be next time he's in the pub ring the local cop shop and report (anonymously, don't forget to block your number lol) that you over heard 'X' bragging about driving while banned in the pub to another customer - he's least likely to suspect you then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Would you rather live with the guilt of reporting a repeat offender who is family, or the guilt of knowing you could have reported him, didn't, and he kills himself or someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

imagine one night you're not there and he takes your misses in the car and ends up right way down and kills her.. Report the chancer.

Garda Confidential line 1800 666 111

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Report the tosser o/p from a public telephone and say nothing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I took his reg and I don't know to report him or nothe is family like .. and I have tried to talk to him about it but he wont listen
    really in two minds what to do ... if I report him and my partner finds out they will go mental and so will the family... but I couldn't live with myself if he killed someone or caused 1000s in damage

Don't take the cowards way out. He's family. Would you really feel comfortable turning informer on one of your own? Some people seem to have no compunction with doing stuff like this. To be honest, I can't believe you're even considering it.

Deal with it like a man. Don't go running to the authorities behind your (practically) brother-in-law's back. Sort it out yourself.

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Report the tosser o/p from a public telephone and say nothing!
    ring the local cop shop and report (anonymously, don't forget to block your number lol)

Detestable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCharlton View Post

I took his reg and I don't know to report him or nothe is family like .. and I have tried to talk to him about it but he wont listen

Don't take the cowards way out. He's family. Would you really feel comfortable turning informer on one of your own? Some people seem to have no compunction with doing stuff like this. To be honest, I can't believe you're even considering it.

Deal with it like a man. Don't go running to the authorities behind your (practically) brother-in-law's back. Sort it out yourself.
    Jesus. is online now Report Post

Reporting a potential killer is not taking the cowards way out!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Armchair advice galore in this thread. I wonder would you all be so quick to report if it was a member of your own family?

This needs to be sorted out face to face like adults.

• Advertisement

Jesus. wrote: »
    Detestable
    But its ok for the little git to drive around without insurance?

What if he kills someone would you still be of the same opinion then?

bisset wrote: »
    Reporting a potential killer is not taking the cowards way out!!!

It is cowardly. Anonymous phone calling is cowardly. Deal with it yourself. There's always ways and means.

Show me the informer and I'll show you a man of little character.

(Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade puts it better than I could :D)

PLUG71 wrote: »
    But its ok for the little git to drive around without insurance?

Read my post again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

My partners brother is disqualified from driving for the past year
    I was down at his house over the weekend in a rural part of the country and I was surprised to see him pull into the driveway just as I got there.
    I asked him was the ban up and he said yes but his insurance is gone thru the roof..
    I looked at the disk later on and its from another car
    he also is out of tax
    and no nct...

he wrote off a car about 2 years ago ..drove straight through a cross roads
    into a field .. while drunk

later on we all went to the pub and surprise surprise he drove home ,.... after 6 pints........
    I got a taxi home .. no way was I getting into the car with him

I took his reg and I don't know to report him or not
    he is family like .. and I have tried to talk to him about it but he wont listen

Say it straight to his face. If he has a problem then throw hands. That is despicable behaviour, and your wouldn't be able to live with yourself if he caused an accident.

It is cowardly. Anonymous phone calling is cowardly. Deal with it yourself. There's always ways and means.

My sentiment exactly. You should look him straight in the eye and tell him how you feel. If he has a problem, then throw hands to sort it, at least then you have made an effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

OP said they already tried to talk to him about it and he took no notice. He obviously hasn't learned anything from his ban. Report him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

you have to report it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've a solution op. PM me the reg and address and I'll report the pr1ck.

You can act surprised.

Armchair advice galore in this thread. I wonder would you all be so quick to report if it was a member of your own family?

I wouldn't be surprised. Some of these fellas would probably shop their own mothers for cycling their bike without a light on :(

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    OP said they already tried to talk to him about it and he took no notice. He obviously hasn't learned anything from his ban. Report him.

There's a distinct difference between trying to talk to someone, and confronting someone. If he is still obstinate, throw a few hands into him; unfortunately, some people only respond to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Throw hands to sort it?jaysus ye must live in the wild west!

Call the guards and let them sort it.If he's stupid enough to drink drive when already banned then he's not going to listen to the OP admonishing him ''straight in the eye'' either.

This needs to be sorted out face to face like adults.

Sure does. Between an uninsured, untaxed and banned drunk adult driver, and an adult judge.

The guy obviously could not give a toss and listen to good advice so f*ck him, he deserves grassing up before he costs somebody else!

Throw hands to sort it?jaysus ye must live in the wild west!

Call the guards and let them sort it.If he's stupid enough to drink drive when already banned then he's not going to listen to the OP admonishing him ''straight in the eye'' either.

Unfortunately, that's all certain people respond to. I don't think its an optimal solution, nor applicable in all situations. But, I think it's all that will work in this scenario.

Two questions OP:

Are you afraid of him/ afraid to confront him properly?

What height is he?

• Advertisement

Bullsh!t. Who are you supposed to be, Mick Collins??

I do understand people's anger here. And they're totally correct. I just can't abide by that chicken-sh*t easy option of anonymous ratting. There's something seriously off-putting - almost grotesque - about it. Especially not against someone who's practically family.

There are better, more dignified ways to deal with such things.

(At the very least, be man enough to tell him you're going to report him within say 7 days and then if you still want to take that course of action, do it. "Make sure you hide your number when you ring the Cops". Jaysus, what kind of a nation are we becoming? :()

jimgoose wrote: »

There's certainly a time and place for anonymous informing, but there is also certain situations that require direct, visceral confrontation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Yeah because physical violence always solves problems, especially between family. He's a scumbag, grass him up. This isn't a moral dilemma, there are channels in place for dealing with people like this.

jimgoose wrote: »

The big fella would be spinning in his grave..........:pac:

Seriously though, that did make me laugh Goose!!

• Advertisement

Yeah because physical violence always solves problems, especially between family. He's a scumbag, grass him up. This isn't a moral dilemma, there are channels in place for dealing with people like this.

I don't think it always solves problems. In fact, I specifically stated, on numerous occasions, that there is a certain, limited, amount of situations which require throwing hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

"throwing hands" :rolleyes:

The Dagda wrote: »
    "throwing hands" :rolleyes:

I must admit, I had to Google that!

I don't think it always solves problems. In fact, I specifically stated, on numerous occasions, that there is a certain, limited, amount of situations which require throwing hands.

There surely are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Can everyone please stop saying throwing hands! What an expression. What would it achieve anyway? Do you think it would change repeated behaviour from an adult who clearly gives zero fcuks??

The big fella would be spinning in his grave..........:pac:

Seriously though, that did make me laugh Goose!!

Not that I wouldn't fight the bastard. But there's a whole tribe of inlaws and outlaws which calls for Ninjitsu. ;)

I must admit, I had to Google that!

Apologies, I went to Uni in Chicago, and it kind of stuck!

Can everyone please stop saying throwing hands! What an expression.

:pac::pac::pac:

Apologies, I went to Uni in Chicago, and it kind of stuck!

I thought it was a culchie thing :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Op I'd report him. Yes it's difficult but imagine if in 6 months time he wraps the car around a tree, imagine the hurt and distraught that would cause his parents and your partner, imagine saying to her parents "sorry for your loss" and imagine the guilt you'd feel knowing that you could have done something to reduce the risk of it happening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement