Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving while banned

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

Op I'd report him. Yes it's difficult but imagine if in 6 months time he wraps the car around a tree, imagine the hurt and distraught that would cause his parents and your partner, imagine saying to her parents "sorry for your loss" and imagine the guilt you'd feel knowing that you could have done something to reduce the risk of it happening.

That's cowardly. He could man up and throw hands with this guy. He's already been banned, he's not going to pay attention to the guards, or anyone else. He needs tough love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Apologies, I went to Uni in Chicago, and it kind of stuck!

Can you tell me, in farmer's serving-boy terms, what in the fortified fcuk is throwing hands without my watching stupid vidjas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

needs tough love.

He'll get that in prison....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

That's cowardly. He could man up and throw hands with this guy. He's already been banned, he's not going to pay attention to the guards, or anyone else. He needs tough love.

Ok we get it, you like to throw hands. Enough with the throwing hand bullsh1t! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

And you think giving him a few slaps will....let the people paid to enforce the law look after it, no need for anyone to be a vigilante. Brother to brother perhaps, but where they're not brothers not a hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Report him to the Gardai.

It's the right thing to do.

He will be arrested again at some stage. If you report it to the Garda, or when he crashes the car, possibly injuring or killing himself or somebody else.

And you think giving him a few slaps will....let the people paid to enforce the law look after it, no need for anyone to be a vigilante. Brother to brother perhaps, but where they're not brothers not a hope

He's his brother-in-law, I think that's close enough. For his wife/girlfriends sake, I don't think he should report him. Moreover, based on what he's said it doesn't seem like this guy will respond to more tactile approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

PM me the details and Ill ring it in if you don't want to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jimgoose wrote: »
    Can you tell me, in farmer's serving-boy terms, what in the fortified fcuk is throwing hands without my watching stupid vidjas??
    Sometimes an explanation needs a video. Not sure how the hands thing would help though...

:o

• Advertisement

The Dagda wrote: »
    Ok we get it, you like to throw hands. Enough with the throwing hand bullsh1t! :rolleyes:

Again, I don't condone violence in 99% of cases. I think this requires drastic measures however. Also, I'm talking about throwing hands, not shooting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Again, I don't condone violence in 99% of cases. I think this requires drastic measures however. Also, I'm talking about throwing hands, not shooting him.

Your only contribution to the thread is talk of "throwing hands". It's a lame term. The fact you picked it up in Chicago does not make it any less lame. Please stop using it. For everyone's sake.

endacl wrote: »
    Sometimes an explanation needs a video.

Enough with the fukkan children's crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

How the hell is beating the guy up better than reporting him to the police? Do you really think his partner and her family will be ok with that?

Chimaera wrote: »
    How the hell is beating the guy up better than reporting him to the police? Do you really think his partner and her family will be ok with that?

Neckbeard Syndrome, methinks.

Your only contribution to the thread is talk of "throwing hands". It's a lame term. The fact you picked it up in Chicago does not make it any less lame. Please stop using it. For everyone's sake.

That's my opinion, I am entitled to it. If you disagree, that's your problem. Apologies if you don't like my colloquialisms, I'm sure your use of terminology is impeccable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lets throw a shoe instead:

large.gif

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Bazzy

This thread is worthy of After hours

I'm shocked an audi/volkswagen or BMW hasnt been mentioned yet for the buck when his ban is over

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

I despair for society reading this thread. We're not six year olds, afraid to be called the schoolyard snitch. We are adults, and the particular adult driver in question clearly has a pattern of consistent, repeated, despicible behaviour that puts a whole host of people at risk, not least himself. Society has a mechanism for dealing with this, which is to report him to the guards. I cannot believe anyone rational even has a single second's doubt that this is the correct thing to do. I wonder if the OP posted the location of this man's home and the pub he frequents, would people's response change if they realised he drives drunk, uninsured, disqualified past their own home or on the roads they, or their families use? OP, you know you have got to cop on and grow up, report him whatever way you want, giving your name or not, and know that you at least lived up to your responsibility as an adult member of society.

I would say exactly the same if he were your own brother, father, son, boss, best friend... You do not owe it to any of these people to turn a blind eye to such blatant disregard for the safety of roadusers, and the closer your relationship, the MORE you owe it to him not to allow him disregard his own safety and life in this way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

fiona-f wrote: »
    I despair for society reading this thread. We're not six year olds, afraid to be called the schoolyard snitch. We are adults

• Advertisement

?

It would appear Chicago Jonnie has just been out-phrased :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

"Throwing hands" is now a permanent forum ban.

I have decreed it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Difficult one. He has ignored the Judge, the laws of the land and basic moral responsibility, yet we expect him to listen to a family member who tells him to stop. Not going to happen.

Reporting him appears the correct route, as it has the potential to save lives. There is the risk that the OP will alienate himself from his girlfriend and the extended family, only for the offender to ignore the 2nd conviction from the court and continue as he is now. At least the OP will have done all that he could.

Personally, I would take the cowardly solution to a moral dilemma. I would wait a few weeks so he wouldn't think it was me and report his ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Moneymaker wrote: »
    "Throwing hands" is now a permanent forum ban.

I have decreed it so.
    Is it OK if you throw them in the air though? Me, I prefer slappin' leather...

OP: report the twat and say nothing to anyone else.

As for the informer-haters - get real ffs!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

To op JackCharlton,Make a Diary note to report him in a few weeks or convenient time, so they don't think of or link it to YOU.

Never mention it to better half even when drunk yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Jesus Christ is it any wonder the roads are so dangerous?
    I'm glad I don't drive down the country anymore, and I'd never bring my good car down there.

Too many backward knackers, unlicensed, uninsured and drunk.
    What a fcuking country, there's nothing these gombeens won't make excuses for.
    Sure even killing 8 people isn't anyone's fault, sure what are we supposed to do?

As for the keyboard heaving gang, LO fcuking L.

Henry9 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ is it any wonder the roads are so dangerous?
    I'm glad I don't drive down the country anymore, and I'd never bring my good car down there.

Too many backward knackers, unlicensed, uninsured and drunk.
    What a fcuking country, there's nothing these gombeens won't make excuses for.
    Sure even killing 8 people isn't anyone's fault, sure what are we supposed to do?

As for the keyboard heaving gang, LO fcuking L.

Hear you loud and clear - spudwhallopers.

Stop trying to make fetch happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JackCharlton

Seriously ... Do people really expect me to drive accross the country .. Batter him and drive home .,,, I'm 45 not 11
    All his family have tried to talk to him over it ... He doesn't give a crap over it
    Not bothered at all ...
    When I quizzed him over it he told me he had insurance ... It was only when I noticed everything on the window and asked my partner to find out I knew 100% he has nothing ...he is still banned from the last time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Jesus. wrote: »
    I do understand people's anger here. And they're totally correct. I just can't abide by that chicken-sh*t easy option of anonymous ratting. There's something seriously off-putting - almost grotesque - about it. Especially not against someone who's practically family.

There are better, more dignified ways to deal with such things.

(At the very least, be man enough to tell him you're going to report him within say 7 days and then if you still want to take that course of action, do it. "Make sure you hide your number when you ring the Cops". Jaysus, what kind of a nation are we becoming? :()

Everyone is somebodies family.

As are the dead from people ignoring knacker like behaviour because "Shurre he is always doing that isn't he some man"

Report him.

• Advertisement

Hear you loud and clear - spudwhallopers.

I'll fukkan spudwallop you, youngfella, if I catch you doing the prick. You moo-staches is in violations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Motors delivers another thread of pure gold :)

Throwin hands :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

r3nu4l permanently banned for using that phrase.

r3nu4l permanently banned for using that phrase.

Sergeant Green_Screen! On deck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Report him anonymously to the gardai. To all the people saying that's the cowards way out, what would you do exactly? OP says he already tried to talk to him about it but he doesn't give a f*ck. If he didn't listen to the judge last time why would he listen to the OP? Confronting him aggresively about it or telling him you're gonna report him to the gardai is only going to cause unnecessary agro between the OP and his partners family so what's the point exactly? Ring the garda confidential line and report him, do it from a public phone if you really want to be sure they won't find out who it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

If someone is going to use an Al Pacino movie as a yardstick for behaviour, I think they need a refresher along the lines of the (also fictional!) Dougal Maguire:
    fatherteddreamsreality2.gif

OP, this needs to be reported. There's no point in starting a fistfight over this, but it does need to be addressed. Clearly this guy cares not a toss about the existing ban, but equally he likely cares less about what your opinion on this matter, so best to point it out to the authorities and try to have him learn the consequences of flouting it, as he may just go back to bad habits once his ban expires if he sees no consequences from it whatsoever.

I'll fukkan spudwallop you, youngfella, if I catch you doing the prick. You moo-staches is in violations.

You starting?

I'm not afraid of him or confronting him or anything like that ... What I don't want perhaps selfishly is having to deal with the mother in law , brothers cousins etc basically frosty relations , he is from a rural area where dogs in a pub , cows eating washing and everyone bananas driving home is the norm , insurance seems optional in this town .. It's bad enough I'm "the dub " I couldn't show my face in that area again if he got locked up over it .. Granted I am weighing that against him killing someone or smashing into someone and leaving them with no car or worse

Going by the "likes" he's given it looks like Jack the lad Charlton will be reporting his brother-in-law to the Cops.

May God have mercy on your soul if your missus finds out mate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your BIL has shown no regard for the laws of the land, and continues to show no remorse. He's beyond having a talking to. Let's face it, if the embarrassment of losing your license in court won't deter you, then what will?

Report him to the Gardaí. I have no time for him.

What I don't want perhaps selfishly is having to deal with the mother in law , brothers cousins etc basically frosty relations .. It's bad enough I'm "the dub " I couldn't show my face in that area again if he got locked up over it ..

They're really going to love you after this!

You starting?

And finishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't think it always solves problems. In fact, I specifically stated, on numerous occasions, that there is a certain, limited, amount of situations which require throwing hands.

As a matter of interest, seeing as you went straight with the option that the op should "throw hands" without knowing either man, is that still your opinion if the brother in law is an Olympic boxer and the op has never thrown a punch in his life?

Though I suppose he could just ;earn by doing. :rolleyes:

Ringing the gardai is cowardly or any of the other ****e you spouted about it. Family or not, a scumbag is a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Meh, at least the guy can look himself in the mirror and know he did the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Meh, he could always wait till the guy kills off a few of the family members in a crash first. Then he wont have to look at them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Do you know any cops, or know anyone who does? If you are not prepared to report him - you could possibly call in a favour - and get a cop in uniform to knock on his door, say he has been seen driving, and put a scare into him if what would happen if he was convicted. If he does not stop then, he deserves everything they can throw at him

Yeah if I lived in the same county that would work but I don't

Zascar wrote: »
    Do you know any cops, or know anyone who does? If you are not prepared to report him - you could possibly call in a favour - and get a cop in uniform to knock on his door, say he has been seen driving, and put a scare into him if what would happen if he was convicted. If he does not stop then, he deserves everything they can throw at him

Perfect example of how "there are better and more dignified ways to sort these things" than doing what the OP is considering.

Sure a judge already told him he couldn't drive ... Is a local cop gonna make a difference

FFS Jack, just use your head and stop talking nonsense. Its not your problem anyway. The people around him where he lives know the situation much better than you so stop poking your nose in. Let them handle it.

I can't understand why you'd even be contemplating doing such a contemptible thing in the first place but I suppose we're all wired differently.

That's me anyway, I've said my piece.

• Advertisement
Advertisement