Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive new house at the end of Sea Road

Options
  • 29-07-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Does anybody know anything about this house/compound or who is building it? It's straight in front of you as you get to the end of Sea Road. It is an absolute behemoth on a large amount of land. I had assumed it was a new apartment block until a builder told me it was a house :eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What else did the builder say?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's been having renovations, possibly big ones, but isn't new. Has been large property there as long as I've been in Galway.

I've heard a name associated with it, not repeating it here though 'cos I've only picked it up as hearsay rather than fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It's been having renovations, possibly big ones, but isn't new. Has been large property there as long as I've been in Galway.

I've heard a name associated with it, not repeating it here though 'cos I've only picked it up as hearsay rather than fact.

Here's the planning application so you can tell us if what you were told was correct (no need to mention names if you were told wrong).

That link didn't work Antobrien, but I reckon the planning app is file number 08687

Names are as expected.

Cute that both the address and description are as Gailge ... I guess it keeps blow-ins from snooping around and finding out too much from the Planning Database :)

OP, if you've some Irish, then you might be able to figure out more about it from this:

CEAD PLEANALA A CUIR ISTEACH LE HAIGH TAIRGEADH SCARTAIL DON TEACH AON STOR AGUS TAIRGEADH TOGAIL I GCOMHAIR TEACH AMHAIN TRI STOR OS COINN IOSLACH. FREISIN TA CEAD PLEANALA LE HAIGH FAL TEORANN LAIREACH A BHAINT AMACH AGUS TEORANN CUAILLE AGUS RAILLE A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...who easily comprise 90% of this glorious republics population. It makes you feel all included and wanted in this warped statelet.

I sincerely hope some Polish or Filipino speaking Irish citizen puts in an application in one of their respective native languages in order to confound and confuse prospective objectors competent in only Irish or English.......

It should be compulsory that such planning applications should be available in ALL our official languages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

doolox wrote: »

I sincerely hope some Polish or Filipino speaking Irish citizen puts in an application in one of their respective native languages in order to confound and confuse prospective objectors competent in only Irish or English.......

Obviously they'd be rejected, neither are official languages of this glorious republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It's a new house built where an existing house was demolished. Same family there for years.

That link didn't work Antobrien, but I reckon the planning app is file number 08687

Sorry about that, the link doesn't seem to work unless the session is already running.
    doolox wrote: »
    It should be compulsory that such planning applications should be available in ALL our official languages.

On the contrary they should only be submitted in Irish, as it would stop busy bodies and blow ins from objecting to everything in (or in this case out of) sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

antoobrien wrote: »
    Sorry about that, the link doesn't seem to work unless the session is already running.

On the contrary they should only be submitted in Irish, as it would stop busy bodies and blow ins from objecting to everything in (or in this case out of) sight.

Madness!As already pointed out 90% of the population don't understand it.
    And who is to say it's not that 10% that do who are the biggest busy bodies?

I think it's unfair to have it in Irish without an English translation alongside. You have a right to understand if a neighbour's building plans will impact your property regardless of your origin or native tongue. There are lots of foreign people living here that add to the place considerably and most of us don't like our friends and neighbours who are foreign referred to as blow ins who should have less rights.

Madness!As already pointed out 90% of the population don't understand it.
    And who is to say it's not that 10% that do who are the biggest busy bodies?

I think it's unfair to have it in Irish without an English translation alongside. You have a right to understand if a neighbour's building plans will impact your property regardless of your origin or native tongue. There are lots of foreign people living here that add to the place considerably and most of us don't like our friends and neighbours who are foreign referred to as blow ins who should have less rights.

If it's that big a concern to you, you'll learn the language.

Same goes for inclusivity, if it's that big of a concern you'll make an effort to integrate.

• Advertisement

It's not only foreigners who are blow-ins: I'm told that to count as a Galwegian you need to have at least four generations buried in Forthill by Irwins.

And I know lots of Irish people who didn't manage to learn Irish as children, unlikely that they'll manage as adults.

It's not only foreigners who are blow-ins: I'm told that to count as a Galwegian you need to have at least four generations buried in Forthill by Irwins.

And if you can't trace your family back to one of the tribes etc etc etc.
    And I know lots of Irish people who didn't manage to learn Irish as children, unlikely that they'll manage as adults.

And that's the problem of people who grow up using Irish why?

And that's the problem of people who grow up using Irish why?

Ahh, you might call it common courtesy towards their intellectually less-well-endowed friends and neighbours :rolleyes:

I would be very, very surprised if the people who own the mansion house that is being rebuilt conduct their daily lives and business in Irish.

Ahh, you might call it common courtesy towards their intellectually less-well-endowed friends and neighbours :rolleyes:

Common courtesy my ar*e, this is about laziness pure and simple.

Like I said earlier, if it means that much to somebody they'll find male an effort to figure it out.
    I would be very, very surprised if the people who own the mansion house that is being rebuilt conduct their daily lives and business in Irish.

Do you know them? Do you know if my family use Irish at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It probably is an Engineer/Architect who submitted the Planning application. You must submit the application using either of the official languages of the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Common courtesy my ar*e, this is about laziness pure and simple.

Like I said earlier, if it means that much to somebody they'll find male an effort to figure it out.

Do you know them? Do you know if my family use Irish at home?

Is it your house?

I don't know about MrsOBumbles crystal ball but mine tells me you got out of the wrong/irrational side of the bed this morning, or that you have had a bad experience with a planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

it used to be a well kept secret almost that house,not anymore eh ..

same family for years as said above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

This is what we have google translate for.
    Planning permission to enter the proposed demolition of the house hi-storey building and offers for home attracting only three storey over basement. Planning permission has also greatly benefit laireach boundary fence to reach the border post and rail and a replacement to be comhteorann between the house and the house offered laireach contained therein, together with related bodies fly and landscaping work

Well not perfect, but good enough to know they will demolish the existing, build a new three story with basement and put in a new post and rail fence at the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

Could just look at the auld drawings like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

One would think the sea was at the end of Sea Road. ( yes i do know once upon a time etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

People arguing that Irish shouldn't be used in Ireland. Embarrassing stuff.

Intifada wrote: »
    People arguing that Irish shouldn't be used in Ireland. Embarrassing stuff.

That's certainly not what I'm saying.

My line is that an English translation should be provided also. Not for the sake of immigrants, but for the sake of the large proportion of Irish people who are unable to speak their own language, due to the inadequate education provided to them as children. Saying that they were just lazy at the time, and so don't deserve to know what's going on is just nasty elitism.

And I'm pointing out that it's particularly sneaky to put in planning applications like this, knowing full well that people who search the planning database will most likely search for the English version of the address, not the Irish one. (It's easy enough to get a translation once you have the content - the hard bit is finding the content. Especially in this case where the address of the property concerned is given as Fr Griffin Rd, not Sea Rd - or at least I assume that's what it is, given the look of the words in the system)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

It is certainly subversive, but I'd call it clever more than sneaky.

I am one of those who cannot speak the language btw. But that's my own fault and problem. If people want to get one over on me by using Irish in Ireland then I say cáca milis to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

kevthecelt wrote: »
    Does anybody know anything about this house/compound or who is building it? It's straight in front of you as you get to the end of Sea Road. It is an absolute behemoth on a large amount of land. I had assumed it was a new apartment block until a builder told me it was a house :eek:

There has been a house on that part of the site since the early 1990's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kevthecelt wrote: »

Any photos ?

Any photos ?

One feature of the site is the relative privacy - the walls stop people from being able to see in.

One feature of the site is the relative privacy - the walls stop people from being able to see in.

Does anyone think there is something slightly distasteful about this thread at this stage? I mean, it's obvious to anyone, whether they know the guy or not, that he values privacy. It's clearly not a house designed to draw attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You underestimate the nosiness of Galwegians :D

biko wrote: »
    You underestimate the nosiness of Galwegians :D

True, but I doubt it's Galwegians being nosey here. They'll all know whose house it is.

• Advertisement

Anyone who values privacy wouldn't build a mansion sized house in the middle of a city.

Advertisement