Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive new house at the end of Sea Road

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Anyone who values privacy wouldn't build a mansion sized house in the middle of a city.

Behind a high wall, covered by trees with a planning app in Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

?Cee?view wrote: »

And high gates around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Honestly cannot see people's problem here.
    Somebody wants to rebuild/renovate their home so what?
    People do it every day of the week.
    If anybody really has an issue lodge a complaint, otherwise stop being so nosey.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The days of not commenting about your betters in The Big House are long gone - thank goodness.

The whole point of the planning process is that it's no longer acceptable to do whatever the hell you want so long as it's in your own property outside of the public eye, without the scrutiny of society at large. This application was submitted, and has received such scrutiny. Part of the process is that information about it is publicly available.

I honestly don't see anyone here being nasty. There is a very large chunk of prime city land tied up in the one house. Someone commented about it, other explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

ted2767 wrote: »
    Honestly cannot see people's problem here.
    Somebody wants to rebuild/renovate their home so what?
    People do it every day of the week.
    If anybody really has an issue lodge a complaint, otherwise stop being so nosey.

The nosey curtain twitching republic has now taken up arms in the world of social media. Everyone has the right to privacy but there are many who simply do not respect the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

?Cee?view wrote: »

That family came into Galway about four generations ago from an Irish speaking part of Connemara. They are as entitled as anybody else to publish their planning notices in Irish

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

In what world has an application for planning permission ever fallen under the right to privacy?

Honestly, I don't see anyone taking issue with anything to do with the topic - the only people seemingly having a go are those concerned about some non-applicable privacy issue.
    An application for planning permission is supposed to be publicly available information, by design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

People have an entitlement to place the planning application in either Irish or English. Also the planning application would have had to have been on public display for a number of weeks. If people that desperately want to find who it is why not just get someone to translate the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

In what world has an application for planning permission ever fallen under the right to privacy?

Honestly, I don't see anyone taking issue with anything to do with the topic - the only people seemingly having a go are those concerned about some non-applicable privacy issue.
    An application for planning permission is supposed to be publicly available information, by design.

This thread diverted down the route of planning permission discussion but was originally created out of the curiosity of the OP to know more about the house and the dwelling itself is designed to be as concealed as possible hence why curiousity can be aroused and hence why privacy is an important part of the discussion.

The two are not mutually exclusive though. Planning processes are designed to be transparent to those who would be directly affected by the planning request and thus allow to raise objections in a proper manner. The downside to that is that the planning process is often abused by those who are simply nosey and have no right to objectionable recourse and just want to satisfy their own curiosities by noseying through planning applications that have nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

nuac wrote: »
    That family came into Galway about four generations ago from an Irish speaking part of Connemara. They are as entitled as anybody else to publish their planning notices in Irish

I completely agree. I was merely suggesting that the use of Irish goes to suggest that they/he value privacy which I would fully support.

I've seen the exact island they're from and old people back there still talk of doing business with M*****n Mór.

• Advertisement
Advertisement