Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shed lighting

Options
  • 29-07-2014 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I've put a lean-to shed onto my garage and want some lights in it. Can they be connected up to the existing cabling going into a mains socket on the shared wall in the garage or are there more stringent requirements?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Scruff wrote: »
    I've put a lean-to shed onto my garage and want some lights in it. Can they be connected up to the existing cabling going into a mains socket on the shared wall in the garage or are there more stringent requirements?

It may be possible to install a spur outlet on the cable supplying the socket.
    This would mainly depend on the loading and number of points already on this circuit.
    This spur outlet fused at 6A could supply a light wired in 1.5mm sq. cable.

I would suggest that mechanical protection be provided for this cabling.

If in doubt employ the serivces of a qualified electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I would agree with the advice given. ok, in my view, to connect lights to the socket. Ensure,as advised, mechanical protection for the cable. Use 3-core cable , ensure earth connection, even if the light fitting does not require it. Then probably ok to plug into a power outlet socketd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Would there not be an issue with a floresent light tripping the rcd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Would there not be an issue with a floresent light tripping the rcd

No

Advertisement