Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

restoration

Options
  • 29-07-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend a competent & experience person to restore my mk 3 spitfire. It needs slight panel beating & may need door skin, complete new floor, respray, re- fit original reconditioned engine & basically put back together. I have seen a lot of rough jobs & cover ups out there but would love to be put in touch with somebody who would take this on with a view to doing it properly.

Thanks & Regards

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

What do you expect it to cost???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

There are guys who do it properly but they aren't cheap, I got mine done by the classic car centre in boolavogue and was very happy with the results but other posters don't rate him. I think this is mainly due to his vagueness when giving quotes but the nature of the game means many unexpected previous bodge's are only uncovered after the work has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

micko38 wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone recommend a competent & experience person to restore my mk 3 spitfire. It needs slight panel beating & may need door skin, complete new floor, respray, re- fit original reconditioned engine & basically put back together. I have seen a lot of rough jobs & cover ups out there but would love to be put in touch with somebody who would take this on with a view to doing it properly.

Thanks & Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Are you particularly attached to this car or, have a sentimental value? By the sounds of it it needs a LOT of work doing and hence a lot of money, possibly more money than the car will be worth at the end of it. Its the way it goes with these cars, you can pump in a fortune and still there is only a set value!

It might be worth considering diverting your funds towards a previously restored car (that someone else has pumped money into), or one thats in good condition but in need of light work, a 'rolling restoration'. Ever importing one from the UK could be a viable option.

Take a look in the 'Projects and Builds' section, I'm currently doing a complete rebuild of a MkIV, now, mine needed more work than yours, but still, might give you some idea of whats involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭micko38

Thanks Croppy,

Sounds like good advice. I have no particular attachment only that it would seem to be a rare model as to the 70s models. I will look at the section you mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

rob at crannagh restorations in stradbally, laois does a savage job on cars, tractors trucks etc....check out his website or even if your in the area call into his shop and see his work.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement