Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

employing through jobbridge

Options
  • 29-07-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I am wondering if anyone could help me, I have a new IT start up with one full time employee. I am thinking of going through jobbridge to find someone else yo join us. Has anyone any experience good or bad they could share with me please, thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

the process of selecting someone from jobbridge is no different than hiring someone from anywhere else. You gather cvs, you interview and you choose someone.

I have had 2 jobbridge interns over the years, one is still here working part-time and the other went onto something else, Both worked out very well.

Mentoring is key, what sort of mentoring can you offer an intern? There are site inspections and the jobbridge interns also gives you an assessment that they are gaining experience. Obviously they have clamped down a lot on business taking the pi&& and can ban you from the scheme.

You can hire an intern yourself without going to jobbridge..offer some allowance for food/travel etc... many, many startups do this

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭biccies

thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated!!

Buttercake wrote: »
    the process of selecting someone from jobbridge is no different than hiring someone from anywhere else. You gather cvs, you interview and you choose someone.

I have had 2 jobbridge interns over the years, one is still here working part-time and the other went onto something else, Both worked out very well.

Mentoring is key, what sort of mentoring can you offer an intern? There are site inspections and the jobbridge interns also gives you an assessment that they are gaining experience. Obviously they have clamped down a lot on business taking the pi&& and can ban you from the scheme.

You can hire an intern yourself without going to jobbridge..offer some allowance for food/travel etc... many, many startups do this

Hi everyone

I am looking into taking on an intern. I have a couple of questions, are they eligible for any allowance e.g. dole or anything similar while doing internship? I would give an allowance every week but considering they have families it may not be enough for them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

biccies wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I am looking into taking on an intern. I have a couple of questions, are they eligible for any allowance e.g. dole or anything similar while doing internship? I would give an allowance every week but considering they have families it may not be enough for them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

AFAIK they will recieve their current social welfare allowance plus €50 and employers are not allowed to top up contributions.

Hi everyone

Thanks
    A jobbridge intern would be entitled to their dole +€50 from the state.
    You are not allowed pay them on top of this.

A (non jobbridge) intern would not be entitled to any social welfare payment presumably as they are not available for paid work.

• Advertisement

thanks, this would be a non jobbridge internship.

Have you looked at the jobbridge rules to see if you are eligible?
    http://jobbridge.ie/EmployerEligible.aspx
    If you hired someone from jobbridge there might be further back to work benefits available if it is managed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

thanks, this would be a non jobbridge internship.

a non jobbridge you can pay them nothing if you want which is perfectly legal but they wouldn't get their dole, to gegt their dole they need to be actively looking for employment. Internship terms are usually 3,6,9months.

General consensus is those host will pay a travel/food allowance during the week. An internship by definition is to give grads or individuals experience in a working environment that they are simply not skilled enough to be paid to do.

Advertisement