Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding Fine?

• 29-07-2014 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

So, I got pinged by the gardaí going slightly too fast on the M3 just after the toll bridge.

I was pulled by an unmarked car. At the time I just apologised and accepted the scolding. He said they'd send out a fixed penalty notice and two points.

Thinking now though, he didn't have a speed gun...so can't possibly say how fast I was going. I was in control all the time and have upgraded brakes and tyres on the car.

Should I challenge the points if and when I get them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

brencork wrote: »
    I was in control all the time and have upgraded brakes and tyres on the car.

Thanks!

Oh god. :mad: not one of these again.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brencork

Huh??

I'm new to boards. I understood somebody might be able to help out?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Have you upgraded reactions too OP?

By all means challenge the speeding ticket, but you'll find the Garda would need a means of proving the alleged speed. He can't just guess that you were speeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

So, I got pinged by the gardaí going slightly too fast on the M3 just after the toll bridge.

I was pulled by an unmarked car. At the time I just apologised and accepted the scolding. He said they'd send out a fixed penalty notice and two points.

Thinking now though, he didn't have a speed gun...so can't possibly say how fast I was going. I was in control all the time and have upgraded brakes and tyres on the car.

Thanks!

Accept the fine and points like a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You sure the camera wasnt further back up the road, and they were radioing on to the car to pull drivers that had passed the camera?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Challenge it, go on. Judge will have a good laugh when you claim you had upgraded tyres and brakes which meant you were ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Garda had upgraded eyes .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Upgraded brakes and tyres is a new one to me? Go for it OP, bring that one to court with you.

I wasn't going to suggest to the judge that tyres and brakes...just pointing out that I wasn't being reckless. I have brand new pads and calipers on and the brakes, if hit hard, would stop me in seconds.

But the point is, the gardaí have no proof that I was speeding. He never mentioned a camera and had no accurate reading of my speed (he suggested I was doing 180 but the speedo on the GTi read over 220).

In fairness, my reactions are pretty good and it was a dry road with excellent visibility.

I really don't need (another) 2 points for speeding, was just looking for advice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Thanks!

For the record what is slightly too fast?.. Chances are the guy with the gun radioed ahead to the car. Unless you can prove 100% that the guards are wrong, which you can't unless have some way of showing their gun wasn't calibrated correctly no judge in the country is gonna side against the cops

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thanks!

Do you think if you have better brakes, you're allowed to drive faster? You do know that "go faster" stripes neither make you go faster, or allow you to go faster, safer? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

What pads calipers and tyres have you got that can stop you from that speed in seconds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Even if the Garda didn't have any proof that you were speeding you've already admitted guilt when challenged about it. If it went to court the word of the Garda that you had admitted the offence at the time would be enough to convict you.

twinytwo wrote: »
    F Unless you can prove 100% that the guards are wrong, which you can't unless have some way of showing their gun wasn't calibrated correctly no judge in the country is gonna side against the cops

Well, in fairness, the burden of proof is on the gardaí.

If the judges always side with the cops, well...we've seen where that leads us..(Bailey, the DoJ review, whistleblowers etc). Hopefully the gardaí aren't incapable of lying in most peoples eyes anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I wasn't going to suggest to the judge that tyres and brakes...just pointing out that I wasn't being reckless. I have brand new pads and calipers on and the brakes, if hit hard, would stop me in seconds.

But the point is, the gardaí have no proof that I was speeding. He never mentioned a camera and had no accurate reading of my speed (he suggested I was doing 180 but the speedo on the GTi read over 220).

In fairness, my reactions are pretty good and it was a dry road with excellent visibility.

I really don't need (another) 2 points for speeding, was just looking for advice really.

Let me get this right.. Your basic argument is that speed limits shouldn't apply to you because you have upgraded brakes and good reactions.

I'm sure many a person that has cause a crash/death on the countries road thought along the same line.

Its all well and good having nice tires, most people dont understand the physics behind a crash/losing the control of a car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

220? Take the points and run.

p.s. Was the Garda wearing a hat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

If you live in Kildare and the fine comes through the door just pay it and let it go apparently I think Judge Nolan (I think) don't take too kindly to speeders and is fond of the ban hammer. Generally 160 is the limit for points after that usually ends up in a do not pass go straight to court although this is not set in stone.
    I know its a pain in the hole but 2 points and €60/80 fine is better than a days lost wages and the risk of 4 points/ possible ban and roll of the dice fine in court.

If the judges always side with the cops, well...we've seen where that leads us..(Bailey, the DoJ review, whistleblowers etc). Hopefully the gardaí aren't incapable of lying in most peoples eyes anymore.
    Like it or not the justice system has to assume that the witness evidence of a Garda regarding commission of an offence supersedes the denial of the accused. On a matter such as a speeding offence the judge will accept the Garda's word that the accused admitted the offence as a mater of course unless contradictory proof is available.

If you were actually travelling at over 180km/h then just accept the fine/points and move on. A judge on a bad day might impose a dangerous driving charge and a ban if you're unlucky.

If you were actually travelling at over 180km/h then just accept the fine/points and move on. A judge on a bad day might impose a dangerous driving charge and a ban if you're unlucky.

Im calling shenanigans on this tbh. If a Garda saw a car doing 220km/h, even if they couldnt officially verify it, there isnt a hope in hell that the driver is getting away with a ticking off on the side of the road and a simple fine and 2 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your wrong on this. Motoring isn't a right it's a privilege that can be revoked at anytime. There is no requirement in our statues that require a Garda provide any proof that a driver was exceeding the posted limit to get a conviction.

But in all seriousness you where going 220km/h, Garda claims 180km/h, when you get the points letter pay it ASAP as if you challenge it you should be off the road.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your wrong on this. Motoring isn't a right it's a privilege that can be revoked at anytime. There is no requirement in our statues that require a Garda provide any proof that a driver was exceeding the posted limit to get a conviction.

But in all seriousness you where going 220km/h, Garda claims 180km/h, when you get the points letter pay it ASAP as if you challenge it you should be off the road.

*you're

Surely the burden of proof is on the gardaí and I'm innocent until proven guilty??

I accept I was driving fast, but it was safe and there was noone in any danger. I've a good car with upgraded safety features and a long history of safe driving. I've never had any accidents and have completed many driving courses and am experienced at high speeds (both on public roads and on tracks - I've been to the nurburgring in my own car, an opc at the time, on several occasions)

'tis a true story though. Luckily I was wearing a suit and got out of the car all apologetic. The Garda was an older lad, who was reasonable. I'd say had the younger, angry fella got involved, I would have been in big trouble.

Any info on the brakes and tyres you are running ?

twinytwo wrote: »
    Let me get this right.. Your basic argument is that speed limits shouldn't apply to you because you have upgraded brakes and good reactions.

I never said this. Just wondered if anyone had some helpful advice so that I could avoid penalty points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

I never said this. Just wondered if anyone had some helpful advice so that I could avoid penalty points.

Frankly you deserve the penalty points. In fact anyone driving at the speed you claim you were deserves a one year ban, minumum, as far as I'm concerned, regardless of their experience or equipment.

Surely the burden of proof is on the gardaí and I'm innocent until proven guilty??
    No. In speeding situations it's basically a case of his word that you were travelling in excess of the limit and yours that you were not. A judge will put more weight on the evidence of a Garda than on your denial. Furthermore, if the Garda states that you apologised and admitted guilt the judge will accept this as evidence of your guilt.

Seriously, you dodged a bullet here. If you really were travelling at the speed stated you're lucky there isn't a dangerous driving charge to defend and a driving ban.
    And the strong advice you're getting is that accepting two penalty points if offered is a huge win compared to risking having a judge on a bad day hearing a Garda state that you were travelling at 180km/h or more.

tossy wrote: »
    Any info on the brakes and tyres you are running ?

My mate put them on for me they're upgraded calipers, pads and hoses. Cost about €2k in total. Think the brakes are ceramic? I don't really have interest in mechanical things, I work in finance so don't really have time, prefer to spend time driving rather than fixing the car.

Tyres are continentals. Some fancy, expensive type. My friend says they're the best. I'm inclidned to believe him cos he knows his stuff really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

The Garda was giving you a lucky break you were 100 KPH over the speed limit.

You should be banned for risking the lives of other road users.

If you had a blowout at that speed you could end up in the other carriageway, callipers are no good in a roll.

IMO the garda should have done you for dangerous driving, speeding and what ever else came to hand.

On second thoughts go to court and fight it, bring pictures of the tyres and callipers.

doubledown wrote: »
    Frankly you deserve the penalty points. In fact anyone driving at the speed you claim you were deserves a one year ban, minumum, as far as I'm concerned, regardless of their experience or equipment.

That's a bit harsh :(

How do you know I wasn't on the way to an emergency?

Glad your not judge jury and executioner here!!

Edit: dingding, I've no intention of taking pictures of the car!

Although tbf, the gardaí were from the drug squad, not traffic corp (thank god) so they may not bother showing up in court :D

• Advertisement

This has to be a wind up shirley?

I think someone has been watching too much Days of Thunder...

"Special tyres..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Going to an emergency only excuses the emergency services of the rules of the road.

The hint is in the name emergency services.

Bring this to court as well.

This has to be a wind up shirley?

Of course its a wind up.

My mate put them on for me they're upgraded calipers, pads and hoses. Cost about €2k in total. Think the brakes are ceramic? I don't really have interest in mechanical things, I work in finance so don't really have time, prefer to spend time driving rather than fixing the car.

Tyres are continentals. Some fancy, expensive type. My friend says they're the best. I'm inclidned to believe him cos he knows his stuff really.

I'm no judge, but if this was the court of brakes and tyres i wouldn't buy that lol very vague sir.

djimi wrote: »
    Of course its a wind up.

Thanks Shirley :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Shirley :D

:pac:

That's a bit harsh :(

How do you know I wasn't on the way to an emergency?

Glad your not judge jury and executioner here!!

Edit: dingding, I've no intention of taking pictures of the car!

Although tbf, the gardaí were from the drug squad, not traffic corp (thank god) so they may not bother showing up in court :D

Were you on your way to an emergency? Or were you when you got your existing points?

I sincerely hope you're trolling as it scares me to think I'm sharing the road with people like you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

When are the kids due back in school again?

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

It's about time someone thought of the children!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

Will they be driving themselves?

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Two ways the Garda would have a good indication of your speed here:

1. It was an unmarked traffic car with all the monitoring equipment that goes with that. If it was one of those, they know _exactly_ how fast you were going.

2. It was a regular unmarked car. They got an estimate of your speed from the speedometer in it while following you. If you were close enough to the speed limit to call this into question you could possibly challenge it in court as there are a few variables involved. If they're estimate is 180 km/h however, and you reckon you were close to 220 km/h, you haven't a hope on this one.

Regardless of how upgraded your brakes/suspension/tyres/etc are, the charge is exceeding the speed limit and the judge will just laugh at you while handing down 4 points and a fine of his choosing.

If you got a charge of dangerous driving, you might possibly have a chance on this one, but it depends on spending a lot of money on legal fees and getting a judge who's willing to listen to you. There was a case in the UK some years ago where a driver was acquitted of dangerous driving on the argument that he was driving within the capabilities of the vehicle and his own skill: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/303005.stm I believe they still did him for speeding later though.

doubledown wrote: »
    Were you on your way to an emergency? Or were you when you got your existing points?

I sincerely hope you're trolling as it scares me to think I'm sharing the road with people like you...

Not trolling. Wasn't on way to emergency this time. Have been previously and had the use of a Garda escort. That was when I was still working as a doctor. (I initially trained in Emergency Medicine and did memberships in Anaesthesia and the FCEM. I worked extensively in prehostpital care and retrieval med in oz), I've left medicine now (mostly...on the register but not in paid employment as a doctor but offer voluntary services when needed...I currently work in finance where the money and t&C are much better and the work is a piece of piss tbf)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the Gard will just say that he saw you speeding , your word against his and the Judge will accept his version. he does not need proof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Not trolling. Wasn't on way to emergency this time. Have been previously and had the use of a Garda escort. That was when I was still working as a doctor. (I initially trained in Emergency Medicine and did memberships in Anaesthesia and the FCEM. I worked extensively in prehostpital care and retrieval med in oz), I've left medicine now (mostly...on the register but not in paid employment as a doctor but offer voluntary services when needed...I currently work in finance where the money and t&C are much better and the work is a piece of piss tbf)

You forgot to mention your supermodel girlfriend aswel

corktina wrote: »
    the Gard will just say that he saw you speeding , your word against his and the Judge will accept his version. he does not need proof

Don't want to go off topic, but is that not what happened with Ian Bailey. Sure the gardai are corrupt in most cases. Look at the Donegal shenanigans, Boylan, GSOC, even all the way back to Fr Molloy! I really hope most judges don't see all gardaí as incoruptible paragons of honesty.

mackeire wrote: »
    You forgot to mention your supermodel girlfriend aswel

Nope, I'm single tbf!

Don't see why you don't believe me tbh. Many people move from medicine to other fields and continue to be succesful. I was lucky as I could spin my EM experience as being someone who is able to think fast and accurately under pressure in addition to being able to participate and lead teams. This was very useful in my move to finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

You got caught and got away lightly!

And you are a grammer nazi too :p

*grammar ;)

corktina wrote: »

I find that a little hard to believe if Im honest. Speeding is not something that is quantifiable with the naked eye, so if a Garda says he thought I was speeding and I say sorry I was actually doing 117 in a 120 zone (or whatever) then the Gardas story cannot surely hold up in court?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

*grammar ;)

:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement