Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding Fine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brencork

Totes agreeballs djimi.

And we all know examples of Gardaí lying and framing people :(

I thought I'd get some useful advice here. Not so sure now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

brencork wrote: »
    Totes agreeballs djimi.

And we all know examples of Gardaí lying and framing people :(

I thought I'd get some useful advice here. Not so sure now.

If we suspect disbelief for a second and say youre not on the wind up then what I said there does not apply to you. If you were doing nearly twice the speed limit on a motorway then no camera or physical proof is going to be needed in court; its not marginal in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

My mate put them on for me they're upgraded calipers, pads and hoses. Cost about €2k in total. Think the brakes are ceramic? I don't really have interest in mechanical things, I work in finance so don't really have time, prefer to spend time driving rather than fixing the car.

Tyres are continentals. Some fancy, expensive type. My friend says they're the best. I'm inclidned to believe him cos he knows his stuff really.

I'd suggest bringing your friend to the court, he can explain this to the judge. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

djimi wrote: »
    I find that a little hard to believe if Im honest. Speeding is not something that is quantifiable with the naked eye, so if a Garda says he thought I was speeding and I say sorry I was actually doing 117 in a 120 zone (or whatever) then the Gardas story cannot surely hold up in court?
    1) If the Garda states that the OP was travelling at 180 km/h the judge will accept that the OP was speeding. Following in a Garda car at above the speed limit will be more than enough to satisfy them.

2) The OP apologies and admitted guilt at the time. The judge will accept the Garda's word that this is conclusive proof of guilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

This has to be a wind up shirley?
    What is it Henry?

It's what you do to clocks.... and don't call me Shirley. :D

1) If the Garda states that the OP was travelling at 180 km/h the judge will accept that the OP was speeding. Following in a Garda car at above the speed limit will be more than enough to satisfy them.

For massively excessive speeding I agree. For marginal speeding (ie a Garda tryig to claim that someone is doing 90 in an 80 zone) then that cannot hold up in court on just eye witness word alone.

Following in a car is a different story as the speed then becomes verified (albeit with some question marks over the accuracy of the speedo in the car etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

ardmacha wrote: »
    I'd suggest bringing your friend to the court, he can explain this to the judge. :pac:

Ha ha you are sooo funny. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

ardmacha wrote: »

Expert witness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

For massively excessive speeding I agree. For marginal speeding (ie a Garda tryig to claim that someone is doing 90 in an 80 zone) then that cannot hold up in court on just eye witness word alone.
    That's why Gardaí ask you questions such and "do you realise what speed you were travelling at?". Once you admit that you were travelling in excess of the limit the judge will accept their word that you did this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Following in a car is a different story as the speed then becomes verified (albeit with some question marks over the accuracy of the speedo in the car etc).

The Gardaí don't need to be accurate in any way to get a conviction, our statues don't require accuracy or even for the device to be working to get a conviction, so a Garda saying you where speeding in court becomes a choice for the judge who they believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I find that a little hard to believe if Im honest. Speeding is not something that is quantifiable with the naked eye, so if a Garda says he thought I was speeding and I say sorry I was actually doing 117 in a 120 zone (or whatever) then the Gardas story cannot surely hold up in court?

Check the RTA djimi. I couldn't be arsed looking it up right now, but the exact wording is along the lines of

" Under this section an offence is committed;

If a member of an Garda Síochána forms the opinion that a vehicle is speeding"

Off the top of my head, it also mentions that proof of the speed is not required. Also any speed measurement devices they use do not need to be calibrated.
    OSI wrote: »
    If you really do have ceramic brakes on your GTI. a) why? b) funnily enough at motorway driving they'd be less effective than standard brakes as they wouldn't be up to temp.

B) is exactly what I was thinking the second I saw ceramic.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Caught doing over a tonne, and thinks they might get points? Did you tell them you were a freeman of the land? Tell them that you didn't sign the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

You've admitted that your speedo said you were doing 220 kmph when you were caught so you have already publicly admitted that your were driving WAY over the limit.

However I am confused about one thing.... where is the toll bridge on the M3? I've driven on it a few times and remember 2 toll plazas but for the life of me I can't remember travelling over a toll bridge :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You were doing 136mph in a GTI and the Garda car managed to catch up to you? Forgetting everything else about your story, which is frankly BS in my opinion without some proof (medicine, working in finance etc), its unlikely for a Garda to catch if they were stationery, clocked you and then attempted to catch you. Even if they were doing 120km/h, you were doing twice that, so for them to catch you (Unless they hit the lights straight away) beggars belief.

Also, the law in Ireland is basically a Garda can say you were speeding. There is no onus of proof on them or the State. The only challenge you could possibly make is if your car is fitting with a dashcam or signed black box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I call custard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

highdef wrote: »
    You've admitted that your speedo said you were doing 220 kmph when you were caught so you have already publicly admitted that your were driving WAY over the limit.

However I am confused about one thing.... where is the toll bridge on the M3? I've driven on it a few times and remember 2 toll plazas but for the life of me I can't remember travelling over a toll bridge :confused:

There is none, he must have meant plaza.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    You were doing 136mph in a GTI and the Garda car managed to catch up to you? Forgetting everything else about your story, which is frankly BS in my opinion without some proof (medicine, working in finance etc), its unlikely for a Garda to catch if they were stationery, clocked you and then attempted to catch you. Even if they were doing 120km/h, you were doing twice that, so for them to catch you (Unless they hit the lights straight away) beggars belief.

I'd say he was clocked before the plaza, followed, and pulled in after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I thought I'd get some useful advice here.

You have been offered useful advice: pay the fine, take the points, keep your head down, and stop trolling.

Toll plaza, not bridge.

i must say I was pretty impressed that the Gardaí kept up with me...what happened was, I was tipping along, nice and handy and saw some madman coming up behind at a crazy speed (!). I pulled in to the slow lane (I was in the fast lane) and next thing the blue lights came on on the front of the avensis. I presume I must have overtaken them at some stage. Was going to say to the garda how impressed I was that the avensis was able to keep up, but thought it best not to.

ironclaw, I'm not sure why you feel i owe you proof of my occupation, but if you really are that ****ing interested, I'll email you my name and you can check the fellows of the college of emergency medicine in London and cross reference with employees of my current employer online.

I pulled in to the slow lane (I was in the fast lane)

Youve jumped the shark here Im afraid :(

I'd say he was clocked before the plaza, followed, and pulled in after.

Probably. Don't think I was clocked on camera at all though. I can't for the life of me fathom why they allowed me to drive at that speed for so long. Though in fairness, after I pulled in, a second unmarked car pulled in in front of me. So maybe they thought the car was robbed or I was a lunatic or scumbag or something!!

• Advertisement

Youve jumped the shark here Im afraid :(

huh?

i was in the most righward of three lanes...the fast lane. pulled into the middle (slow) and then when the lights came on, into the hard shoulder.

Though in fairness, after I pulled in, a second unmarked car pulled in in front of me.

And then RTÉ showed up in a helicopter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

M3 only has 2 lanes. Shenanigans confirmed.

did the bargain ceramic brake set up for 2k that can stop you from seconds (on continentals) from 136mph not give it away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

M3 only has 2 lanes. Shenanigans confirmed.

Probably mistaking the hard shoulder for a lane.

Probably mistaking the hard shoulder for a lane.

Well what would you call it then?

Lane: "a division of a road marked off with painted lines and intended to separate single lines of traffic according to speed or direction."

Actually the M3 has 3/4 lanes in parts (depending on whether you consider the hard shoulder a lane). I driven the thing enough to know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Well what would you call it then?

Lane: "a division of a road marked off with painted lines and intended to separate single lines of traffic according to speed or direction."

Actually the M3 has 3/4 lanes in parts (depending on whether you consider the hard shoulder a lane). I driven the thing enough to know that.

*I've driven :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

(he suggested I was doing 180 but the speedo on the GTi read over 220).

I really don't need (another) 2 points for speeding, was just looking for advice really.

Oh I think you might.

Unless this story is bs..

No, I'm pretty sure I don't need another 2 points! :(

I think you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Another 2?
    I'm pretty sure you need to slow down! :rolleyes:

How about you avoid getting the fine/points in the first place rather than avoid paying the fine and receiving 2 penalty points!

Although you have a super cool car with super slick brakes and reactions like a cat, maybe you don't deserve the points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

You might not need them but you obviously haven't learned your lesson from the first lot.

Lets not turn this into a which hunt.

I know I was speeding, but I'm safe, experienced and a very good driver. I need my car (as do my patients in an emergency).

I would say two points to show you that is not acceptable to do an indicated 100 kph over the limit with other traffic around and two to hopefully teach you some lane disciplne.

I know I was speeding, but I'm safe, experienced and a very good driver. I need my car (as do my patients in an emergency).

No, you're not safe. You may think you are, but you're not. And no, you're not likely to be a good driver, either.

I thought you worked in finance now? I know you mentioned volunteers, but what type of volunteer called in for emergencies by a patient?

I too, call custard. You may not post in here, until you post a picture of your gti's fancy ceramic brakes, with a pot of custard on it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Apologies, I didn't realise that you were so important to your finance patients and need your car. Make sure you mention that to the judge. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

huh?

i was in the most righward of three lanes...the fast lane. pulled into the middle (slow) and then when the lights came on, into the hard shoulder.
    rightward :p

MarkR wrote: »
    I too, call custard. You may not post in here, until you post a picture of your gti's fancy ceramic brakes, with a pot of custard on it. :D

And a stethoscope. :D

A what hunt?

tossy wrote: »
    And a stethoscope. :D

Not from the €2 shop either. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

A what hunt?

its like a werehunt, only female

MarkR wrote: »
    Not from the €2 shop either. :D

Lol, no my car stethoscope is a littmann 2. i've a master cardiology at home too but I wouldn't tend to use that in an emergency. It's more for detecting subtle murmurs. I can assure you that neither of them cost anywhere near €2...and I can't even write them off against tax!

I would post a pic of the jam jar, but I'm not allowed as I'm new hear.

Fwiw there was literally no traffic around at the time.

...and you still didn't spot not one, but two unmarked cars?

Lol, no my car stethoscope is a littmann 2. i've a master cardiology at home too but I wouldn't tend to use that in an emergency. It's more for detecting subtle murmurs. I can assure you that neither of them cost anywhere near €2...and I can't even write them off against tax!

I would post a pic of the jam jar, but I'm not allowed as I'm new hear.

This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

There are probably 3 15 yr old boys crowded around a computer in one of their houses giggling away at how annoyed they are getting everyone on the internet really annoyed.

Anyone got the number for rentokil? Or maybe Dial-a-Mod?

Lol, no my car stethoscope is a littmann 2.

Handy when someone needs tax advice, stat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

How many times have you been stopped for speeding in the past OP?

• Advertisement

I wish I was 15!

More than double that now. 5 years undergrad and eight years post grad has aged me though :(

I didn't spot the cars as they were coming up from behind. presumably a safe distance behind. Realistically, if I wasn't safe, then the gardaí would/should have pulled me sooner, no?

I wonder what kind of GTI he has. Probably a 106. Or a Mk4 Golf non-turbo.

Mk 7 Golf :smug:

Leather seats.

I do miss the beamer though. Had an M3 but the tyres nearly broke the bank at over €500 a corner. Had to sell it in the end :(

I'd love to have the brains and the dedication to be a doctor!!

Bippity boppity boo!

Did you ever own a 535D or an Evo?

tossy wrote: »
    Did you ever own a 535D or an Evo?

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement