Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An American's Impression of Hurling after seeing it live...

• 29-07-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So I posted before on the boards about my upcoming visit to Ireland and a possible trip to Co. Tipperary to watch the hurling quarterfinals at Semple Stadium.

I just got back to the states last night... here are my impressions...

We took the train from Dublin, which was very easy and arrived in Thurles around 11am. We had some time to get a few drinks and eat some food. We actually hung out at the greyhound track across from the stadium. The weather was really nice and everyone who we spoke to were very friendly. I even got a kid to give me some hurling lessons and before I knew it, I was able to scoop at hit it (sorry, I don't know any of the terms.) The technique is not so dissimilar from baseball.

Anyways, we each picked winners of the matches and bought headbands. Thanks to your help on this board, I was able to pick the 2 winning teams.

The Negatives:

Not enough scoring. There were plenty of scores where the ball went between the uprights, but not enough where the ball went into the net. It was very
    very exciting when those goals happened, but it wasn't often.

Not enough defense. I feel like the players could score from just about anywhere on the field, so there weren't a ton of good passes, or set plays. I also would have liked to have seen more blocks.

The games were also blowouts...not too much could have been done about that. Wexford looked especially dreadful and that game was over quickly.

The Positives:
    I loved how the players were extremely accurate. We must have said "NO WAY!!" about a dozen times when super long scores happened. The field is huge and it seems like a few of the players could score whenever they felt like it.

We were all impressed by how full the stadium was and how the supporters were able to mix. I don't think this is the case in many sports.

The players are absolutely mental with how little padding they wear and how they are willing to just jump in front of the ball.

We liked the constant action... there was always something going on.

The sport was fairly easy to follow, and the people next to us were very helpful when I had questions.

I loved the whole spirit of the game and the atmosphere there. It's hard to put that into words, but the whole day had a good feel to it.

My overall impression was that this is a great, and unique sport, and we were very fortunate to have been there. I think it could pick up a small following
    in the US eventually. It combines some good aspects from a lot of our popular sports.

Thanks so much for the advice I got here!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

You were fierce unlucky that at least one of the games wasn't closer. To have both games in a double-header be non-events would be pretty rare.

One of the advantages of hurling is that due to the nature of the scoring, you can very easily have games where a team that looks dead and buried can bang in a goal or 3 in a few minutes and a game that looked to be dead and buried can catch fire.

If you are interested in hurling I know there are a few places in the US with clubs or failing that you can try and watch some games online.

Also as a Kerryman I'm obliged to point out that you should have a look at GAelic football as everyone knows its the better game anyways :p;):D

Oh yeah meant to ask what was it that prompted you to go to a game?

I'm from Killarney and I definitely think that more should be done by the GAA as a whole to attract tourists to games when they come to Ireland as it's something so uniquely Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 clueless american

haha, most people who I spoke to recommended hurling over football since it was a more unique thing to see.

i agree that more should be done to promote the sport. i really just stumbled upon it when looking for things to do whilst in ireland. to be completely honest, I was very underwhelmed with Dublin and wish I stayed in another city. Dublin sort of reminded me of a trashier Liverpool.

haha, most people who I spoke to recommended hurling over football since it was a more unique thing to see

Yeah I can easily understand this as hurling does looks more distinctive/unique and I'd strongly agree you have to be a bit mad to play it.

Anyway glad you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Great game to watch but i agree with your negative comments. There is very little team, defensive or tactical play in the game - it's more of a 'hit the ball up the field as hard as you can' kinda game. The skill and agility is extremely impressive all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

Great post, I'm always interested to hear the opinions of other nationalities on hurling and football. We've been watching this game since before we were able to walk and talk so we have become kind of unobjective when it comes to it's pros and cons.
    The point you make about points (hitting the ball over the bar) being too easy to score is one that has been made before by people who see the game for the first time. I actually hadn't thought of it before but yeah it does make it a bit too easy when you don't have to get that near to the goal posts to score a point. Points are regularly scored from outside the halfway line, in fact we have even had points scored from inside the penalty area of the other goal!
    I don't think there is going to be a rule change to make it more difficult to score points though. I don't even know how such a rule change could be implemented.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great game to watch but i agree with your negative comments. There is very little team, defensive or tactical play in the game - it's more of a 'hit the ball up the field as hard as you can' kinda game. The skill and agility is extremely impressive all the same.

I'd strongly disagree with this, I think you have to have a decent level of understanding of the game to appreciate it but there is certainly a lot of defensive play, team play and a lot of tactics at play in any game at this level.

lukin wrote: »
    I don't think there is going to be a rule change to make it more difficult to score points though. I don't even know how such a rule change could be implemented.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't see how this would change...just the nature of the game I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

The players are absolutely mental with how little padding they wear and how they are willing to just jump in front of the ball.

little padding ???? What padding???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Honestly I think a close game doesn't nescessarily need goals to be exciting, but of course they do help. If teams are going point for point in the closing minutes of a tight game the athmosphere can be absolutely electric too. You were very unfortunate to catch one of the worst games in recent memory (with no offense meant to Limerick), followed by one of the poorest game of this year..

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    Honestly I think a close game doesn't nescessarily need goals to be exciting, if teams are going point for point in the closing minutes the athmosphere can be electric. You were very unfortunate to catch one of the worst games in recent memory (with no offense meant to Limerick), followed by one of the poorest game of this year..

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I just thought the goals themselves were very exciting, so I would have liked to have seen more.

The bigger disappointment was definitely the lack of a competitive match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

marco_polo wrote: »
    Honestly I think a close game doesn't nescessarily need goals to be exciting, if teams are going point for point in the closing minutes the athmosphere can be electric. You were very unfortunate to catch one of the worst games in recent memory (with no offense meant to Limerick), followed by one of the poorest game of this year..

I was actually thinking on Sunday that both games were a poor advertisement for hurling. Both the Wexford v Clare games were not much better in terms of the hurling on show, but the close scoring made them seem exciting games. This championship so far has been as bad as I can recall for the quality of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

little padding ???? What padding???

it's called skin!

lukin wrote: »

Not my idea - but have heard it suggested that changing the sliotar so it doesn't travel so far would be a possible option.

Would think it would be relatively easy change to make if it was pursued.

It would be interesting to see how much of a change there has been in terms of scoring from distance there has been over say the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Not my idea - but have heard it suggested that changing the sliotar so it doesn't travel so far would be a possible option.

Would think it would be relatively easy change to make if it was pursued.

It would be interesting to see how much of a change there has been in terms of scoring from distance there has been over say the last 20 years.

It was something that on the unpopular opinions thread just recently. Definitely think there is merit in it.

OP, you were really unlucky with the games. Usually AI QF are the best of the year but it just didnt happen this year. Most people expected them to be good games, hence the large crowd. But sport often makes a fool of us supporters1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

OP I think the thing we all want to know is who you are going to support for the rest of the competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Browney7 wrote: »
    OP I think the thing we all want to know is who you are going to support for the rest of the competition?

Limerick for sure, he knows a good thing when he sees it:pac:

Shame you got two poor lopsided games to see

I think I might be supporting Limerick actually. I can't pick a front runner, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I think I might be supporting Limerick actually. I can't pick a front runner, right?

Think i read in the other thread that you will be gone for the semi finals in dublin. Cork v Tipperary could have close to 80k at it and could be an epic.

Limerick v Kilkenny probably between 60k-70k and could be epic too. That's the first semi final on august 10th.

ANyway thanks for your opinions on the sport and Dublin (it really is a dive haha)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Shame you went to those two games OP, real blow outs.

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Dublin a trashier Liverpool, bit harsh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Defensive duties in hurling generally involve marking your own player, marking your 'zone' of play.

Except when defending a sideline or close in free/penalty.

The best hurling teams usually defend from their top line - full forward line.
    Kilkenny are the best team at closing down teams in their own half and midfield, usually why they win more games than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Good man. A lifetime of torture awaits!!

Trilla wrote: »
    Dublin a trashier Liverpool, bit harsh!

Just being honest! Liverpool is actually looking pretty nice these days.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Good man. A lifetime of torture awaits!!

In America, these are my teams:

Football: Redskins

Baseball: Orioles

Basketball: Wizards

Hockey: Capitals

I know a lot about patience and disappointment, don't worry. I'm ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just being honest! Liverpool is actually looking pretty nice these days.

Depends what parts you visit I suppose. The area around Anfield (the Liverpool FC stadium) is very run down as are many other parts with boarded up houses and such like. Liverpool kind of reminds me of Dublin in the 80's, basically a bit depressing! Great night life though and a cheap place to go out.

Glad you enjoyed it. Any time I've been in bars and tourists watch it, they're genuinely amazed and very impressed. Gaelic unfortunately doesn't get the same reaction.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement