Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi MiPad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Sam Mac wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on the Xiaomi MiPad? Compared to something like the Nexus 7, how does it stand up?

http://www.mixeshop.com/xiaomi-mipad-nvidia-tegra-k1-quad-core-22ghz-79-inch-android-44-retina-ips-2048x1536pixels-screen-2gb-ram-8mp-camera-miui-multilanguage-bluetooth-tablet-pc_p5442.html

It's currently just around the €220 mark making it the same price as the Nexus 7.

Snap... are you following me :D was looking at that myself for xmas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

The Nvidia Tegra K1 chipset is a beast.

I really like the tablet, will be purchasing one soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Love this company!

It's name - Xiao 小 + Mi 米 = Little Rice.

Any company with a name like that has me instantly sold...

They also have a device called Hongmi 红米 which means red rice :)

Little bit of useless information for you there!

It's just about 7am what else am I gonna do but teach Boardsies Chinese! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Currently typing on one :D Its a very nice tablet, looks beautiful, good battery, cameras are good. Very similar build to an iPad Mini. Runs very fast, much faster than iPad 4th in the house

Screen is very nice, excellent resolution and colours.

Occasionally the camera disconnects and a reboot is needed to fix it, but its not a huge problem. And no flash player yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

MiUI 6.0 is coming out next month too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Currently typing on one :D Its a very nice tablet, looks beautiful, good battery, cameras are good. Very similar build to an iPad Mini. Runs very fast, much faster than iPad 4th in the house

Occasionally the camera disconnects and a reboot is needed to fix it, but its not a huge problem. And no flash player yet :(

You could try this, for flash on KitKat, as posted here before.... but I'm not sure with MiUI, is that what you have??

If on KitKat, might be a problem.....I think you may need a modified flash, and use Dolphin browser.

It might not be needed with html5 becoming more popular.

See below for full instructions and flash player download for KitKat:

www.trishtech.com/2014/07/install-adobe-flash-player-in-android-kitkat/

There is also this browser, which can support flash at KK:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.browser.nowpro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Where did you buy, customs etc, also is there much accessories for the device.

Yeah I've the latest OTA version anyways, it runs 4.4.2, I didn't realize the flash was a KK error, my phone is JB

Some apps aren't supported either, though it may be a KK thing too, and I haven't tested many, FB, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram work anyways, as does chrome, so its workable :)

I bought it from Merimobiles, at €230 with DHL, and they declared it at about $97, got hit with a €32 customs tax, so it could be as much as €50 with full price declaration, aand I have no accessories for it, didn't search for any though.

Camera has no flash is another con too.

Ask away with questions, and ikk test any apps if anyone wants me to

And there is a small chunk of the OS still inChinese, but anyone with experience with Android will be able to guess what they're doing anyways, ive seen it on the Copy/Cut/Paste bar, and when installing APKs, but I'm sure more of it will be translated with time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm in the market for a 7" or 8" tablet and hoping to tap into some of the experience and knowledge in this thread. Key attributes for this tablet will be:-

1. HD screen resolution
    2. Micro SD card slot, preferably up to 32GB
    3. Long battery life
    4. Decent processor
    5. Front camera for Skype and selfies etc

GPS and GSM/3G capability isn't important.

At the top end I'm looking at the 32GB Nexus 7 for €236 from Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Google-Nexus-7-inch-Tablet/dp/B00EANTELO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409748397&sr=8-2&keywords=nexus+7 My son has one and it's quite simply an amazing tablet with fantastic screen, 1.5Ghz quad core processor, tons of accessories and trusted support.

The Xiaomi MiPad http://www.mixeshop.com/xiaomi-mipad-a010116g-nvidia-tegra-k1-quad-core-22ghz-79-inch-android-44-retina-ips-2048x1536pixels-screen-2gb-ram-8mp-camera-miui-multilanguage-bluetooth-tablet-pc_p5442.html also looks very good for a similar price of circa €215 + duty which could be up to €50. It has a better processor at 2.2Ghz and better cameras plus a one inch larger screen and although it's only got 16GB storage that is easily expanded to 48GB by inserting a 32GB SD card. The concerns I have are in relation to the OS (I assume I could flash a stock or custom ROM onto it if I wanted to?) and the lack of local support if there are problems plus I assume there isn't a large selection of protective cases/covers etc?

Last and definitely least is this 1.9" tablet for €120, http://www.focalprice.com/CE0980W/Fr...8_Android.html which looks amazing value. It only has a 1.2Ghz processor and the cameras aren't as good but the screen is decent and there's 1GB RAM so for the purposes this tablet will be used for it might be a great value option. If it's broken or lost (quite likely given it's for my 12 year old daughter for Xmas who will be using it for Facebook, YouTube, Netflix etc) then I can always get her a second one and it won't have broken the bank.

Thoughts?

Ben

• Advertisement

BenThere wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a 7" or 8" tablet and hoping to tap into some of the experience and knowledge in this thread. Key attributes for this tablet will be:-

1. HD screen resolution
    2. Micro SD card slot, preferably up to 32GB
    3. Long battery life
    4. Decent processor
    5. Front camera for Skype and selfies etc

GPS and GSM/3G capability isn't important.

At the top end I'm looking at the 32GB Nexus 7 for €236 from Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Google-Nexus-7-inch-Tablet/dp/B00EANTELO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409748397&sr=8-2&keywords=nexus+7 My son has one and it's quite simply an amazing tablet with fantastic screen, 1.5Ghz quad core processor, tons of accessories and trusted support.

The Xiaomi MiPad http://www.mixeshop.com/xiaomi-mipad-a010116g-nvidia-tegra-k1-quad-core-22ghz-79-inch-android-44-retina-ips-2048x1536pixels-screen-2gb-ram-8mp-camera-miui-multilanguage-bluetooth-tablet-pc_p5442.html also looks very good for a similar price of circa €215 + duty which could be up to €50. It has a better processor at 2.2Ghz and better cameras plus a one inch larger screen and although it's only got 16GB storage that is easily expanded to 48GB by inserting a 32GB SD card. The concerns I have are in relation to the OS (I assume I could flash a stock or custom ROM onto it if I wanted to?) and the lack of local support if there are problems plus I assume there isn't a large selection of protective cases/covers etc?

Last and definitely least is this 1.9" tablet for €120, http://www.focalprice.com/CE0980W/Fr...8_Android.html which looks amazing value. It only has a 1.2Ghz processor and the cameras aren't as good but the screen is decent and there's 1GB RAM so for the purposes this tablet will be used for it might be a great value option. If it's broken or lost (quite likely given it's for my 12 year old daughter for Xmas who will be using it for Facebook, YouTube, Netflix etc) then I can always get her a second one and it won't have broken the bank.

Thoughts?

Ben

Xiaomishop.com has cases and screen protectors for the MiPad, and you can get a 64gb version of it. No secondary OS but MiUi is good enough you won't new one, and it may end up getting CyanogenMod next year possibly

Xiaomishop.com has cases and screen protectors for the MiPad, and you can get a 64gb version of it. No secondary OS but MiUi is good enough you won't new one, and it may end up getting CyanogenMod next year possibly

Can I just clarify? Does that mean the only version of Android which will currently run on this hardware is MiUi?

Ben

Can I just clarify? Does that mean the only version of Android which will currently run on this hardware is MiUi?

Ben

Yeah basically, the don't release the kernel so people can't develop custom ROMs for it, they will be releasing it at the end of this year though, so next year there likely will be. MiUi is as good as a custom ROM though?

Yeah basically, the don't release the kernel so people can't develop custom ROMs for it, they will be releasing it at the end of this year though, so next year there likely will be. MiUi is as good as a custom ROM though?

Mmnnn don't think I could lock myself in like that.

Ben

Mmnnn don't think I could lock myself in like that.

Ben

I'm a big fan of the messing and flashing that goes with custom Roms too, I would dismiss the MiPad over something as trivial. Nexus is your best bet if playing with that craic is a must

• Subscribers Posts: 48 AnneRyan

Bought the Xiaomi mipad last week on honorbuy.com . Delighted with it!
    BUT can anyone give me the recipe to get rid of the annoying Chinese home screen and Chinese music app?
    Thanks

You could try using a new ROM, like AOSP, or if you like MIUI you can get the international version here

There's a flashing guide there, it's pretty simple, sounds a lot more complex than it is.

Advertisement