Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mourne mountains and hill walking

Options
  • 29-07-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

I am new to Dundalk town. I just wanted to know where I can find maps on trails for hill walking up in those lovely mountains by carlingford. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

These folk should be able to help
    The Mourne Lodge
    Knocknafeola
    Village At the foot of the Mourne mountains
    And can be emailed at
    info@themournelodge.com

I think the tourist office at the square has leaflets with maps of the Cooley trails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just to be clear. The mountains at Carlingford are the Cooley Mountains and those across the lough ate the mournes. As said, the Tourist Office has maps of some great hill walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭The Darkroom

Lovely stuff. is it open all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Monday to Friday from 09.30 to 17.30 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's quite dry and nice up there at the moment. I was there myself last night. Lumpers pub do walks from ravensdale every Thursday evening and Sunday morning. Gap o the North do walks every second Sunday morning from jonesborough. They'd do the cooleys, mournes and Gullion. Good craic, chats and experienced walkers to show you the ropes! Enjoy it though, we have a beautiful County that can be best seen from the top of Slieve Foy :)

MugMugs wrote: »
    It's quite dry and nice up there at the moment. I was there myself last night. Lumpers pub do walks from ravensdale every Thursday evening and Sunday morning. Gap o the North do walks every second Sunday morning from jonesborough. They'd do the cooleys, mournes and Gullion. Good craic, chats and experienced walkers to show you the ropes! Enjoy it though, we have a beautiful County that can be best seen from the top of Slieve Foy :)
    How hard are those walks? I'm seriously out of shape but can do long, flat walks. I'm not great with hills though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The walk we did last night was relatively easy. In saying that, it's kinda beaten ground for us at this stage. The walks with Gap o North are fantastic. If it's your first time out with them then you must walk with their base group so they can assess your fitness and you get lots of breaks. The nature of Hill walking however means lots of hills.

I started an obese smoker with no cardio a few years back. I was usually the last up to the top and wheezing the whole way. Now I'm generally up there first and praying it won't end. Give it a try! You can't get any unfitter from doing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

There are plenty of hill walking groups to get you familiar with the best and safest walks eg

http://www.weebinnians.com/?page_id=162

Also the Poc Fada is this weekend I believe which is a bit of fun while walking and not really noticing it.

MugMugs wrote: »
    The walk we did last night was relatively easy. In saying that, it's kinda beaten ground for us at this stage. The walks with Gap o North are fantastic. If it's your first time out with them then you must walk with their base group so they can assess your fitness and you get lots of breaks. The nature of Hill walking however means lots of hills.

I started an obese smoker with no cardio a few years back. I was usually the last up to the top and wheezing the whole way. Now I'm generally up there first and praying it won't end. Give it a try! You can't get any unfitter from doing it :)

I'm an extremely obese smoker. :P Do they keep going all year or just during the summer? I'm a few months off being able for it I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Re: map - what you need is the relevant sheet of the Ordnance Survey's Discovery Series - I can't remember which number it is though. The Outdoor Exchange on Long Walk in Dundalk should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How hard are those walks? I'm seriously out of shape but can do long, flat walks. I'm not great with hills though. :P

If you spent less time on here and got out in the fresh air you might get fitter :pac:

If you spent less time on here and got out in the fresh air you might get fitter :pac:

Not sure how much more I could walk without it being silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭The Darkroom

Thanks everyone for all the help. Any idea of when the walk from lumpers pub takes place and at what time? What kind of reccommended clothing is needed? I have a really good pair of hill walking boots but sure thats all I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Thanks everyone for all the help. Any idea of when the walk from lumpers pub takes place and at what time? What kind of reccommended clothing is needed? I have a really good pair of hill walking boots but sure thats all I have.

Lose enough fitting, relatively quick drying -no jeans!, sensible stuff. Small rucksuck type thing to stick a mars bar, some water and a rain jacket in.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Lose enough fitting, relatively quick drying -no jeans!, sensible stuff. Small rucksuck type thing to stick a mars bar, some water and a rain jacket in.

Also, don't skimp on the socks. Seriously a good pair of socks designed for walking make a huge amount of difference.

Advertisement