Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary work/activity for man in his 50's in South Dublin

Options
  • 29-07-2014 8:01pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Well lads and lassies, I need some help. My Dad has cancer, stage 4, but is getting treatment and it's going well thankfully. He is not working and probably won't be able to return to work.

Herein lies the problem. He's bored and has nothing to do with his time. He doesn't play golf or anything like that. Due to the nature of his job (executive of a large company), he never really had time for hobbies nor the inclination. He loved his job and it (and being a good husband and father) formed a massive part of his identity.

So I'm trying to find something for him to do. It can't be physical obviously and would have to be reasonably flexible and not too time consuming to accommodate his treatment/level of wellness. He has no interest in sport, apart from following the Dubs, loves politics/current affairs. Anything to do with kids/youths/health would not be an option. He has a lot to offer, he has decades of business management experience and is highly intelligent. He has a pretty good level of Irish, used to be fluent but not now and could be interested in improving it somehow. He's in his 50's and based in D14.

Does anyone have any ideas of something I could suggest to him? What do other people do in these kind of situations? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

There is a resource centre in dundrum village, in the terraced red houses just across from the bus stop at luas station if that makes sense. They do lots with the elderly and children, he seems to have lots of skills that could benefit both age groups.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately anything to do with children or young people is not an option as a) he is having chemo so can't be around kids and b) while he was great with us as kids, when he meets his grand nieces and nephews now he has no idea what to do and just gives them money! He's very popular :P

I was hoping someone might know of some organisation/group he might fit in with. Or if you know someone that went through something similar to Dad, perhaps you could tell me what they did to occupy their time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Local library may be a good starting point. Most libraries have conversational Irish (and other languages) for people just to meet up and chat. Also library notice boards have lots of info.

What about getting him a transport card (LEAP). As you are in Dundrum would he be interested in getting the Luas and onwards on Dart to explore various spots he may never have visited.

If he is vaguely religious there are always plenty of options in the local church. Counting money, help out during the week at masses, funerals ect.

Book clubs are good but tend to be mostly women.

Is he interested in cooking. Great hobby and easy to learn. Plenty of classes and courses available.

if he has business management experience could he volunteer a couple of hours with MABS, Citizens Advice or similar organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I think my dad said something about helping in a garden / allotment near the square. Ask sdcc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There's a writing group in Dundrum, very much amateurs and all ages included. Would that interest him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

there's a community garden in Stillorgan, might be worth checking out? their facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Growing2gether/info

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

Sorry my apologies, I didn't see the part that kids were not an option. He could maybe still approach the centre about only dealing with grown ups if you still haven't found anything.
    I wish him all the best in his treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Holiers

Volunteer Ireland has a good website.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The James Joyce Tower in Sandycove is always looking for volunteers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Best idea would be to find what kind of 'causes' interest him - maybe homelessness, disabled people, adult literacy, animals etc. There are lots of charities screaming out for people. Boardmatch might be an option for him in the longer term too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

How about trying out some meditation..getting with a group once or twice a week...on top of the other suggestions of course...

It may be helpful for destressing and letting go burdens and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Is he interested in family history? Genealogical research would keep him busy for months! He might learn some computer skills too. If he doesn't have a computer, the local library should have computers with internet access and that'd get him out of the house too.

Advertisement